Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Picked me up a new bass

    Hey everyone.
    Firstly, I'd like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year, and hope the festivities of the past couple weeks were rewarding!
    Anyway......On boxing day, I decided to buckle down and go look for a new Jazz Bass. I went to five shops, and tried out a ton of basses, (easily 40 or 50; no joke!) Anyway, I really dug some of them. The Highway One Jazzes are pretty cool, come with great hardware, but I am just getting a bit tired of the pre-worn look. I tried some Standards, the MIJ Geddy Lee model, some MIM's. Well, they are all decent basses.
    A while back, I had hit up some forums for some ideas, and one surprising suggestion again and again was the Squier 70's Vintage Modified. When I was at the last store visit, I came across one. It looked so good, I had to double check the headstock to make sure what I was looking at.


    The neck is a nice satin finished maple, with a bound birdseye maple fingerboard, the body, what I first thought at a glance was ash, is a soft maple, (think alder tone) with gorgeous grain. It has nice clean pots with medium friction (not present in any Squiers I've ever plinked on out of curiosity). I played it acoustically at first, and aside from a pretty high setup, it sounded and felt every bit as good as the high end Fender basses I had tried that day or previously. Not bad at all. Then I put it to the test. Asked for a cable, and the guy came over to hook me up, and said "prepare to be amazed!" I plugged into a Mark Bass amp, and yes....I was amazed. I was expecting a reasonable approximation of a real J, but this thing was bang on.
    It had all the liveliness of a regular J, and all the balls plus some that adds a little more growl and whollop like a P.
    Not to sound like a Squier shill....I'm the last guy to own a Squier anything, but I'm serious, if you're at all interested in playing bass, weather you're starting out or a seasoned pro, this is just a great deal.
    I got mine for 50% off, so I paid 283.00 Can.
    Now there are a few downsides. First, the stock strings suck. They don't sound bad, but their not great. Real huge gauge and probably added to the high setup.
    As I said, the action was quite high due to the huge strings and the truss rod needing adjustment (very common on overseas instruments due to climatic changes, and just plain quick output.) So I adjusted the neck gradually over a few days.
    Thirdly....The frets are decent, but once the neck was straight, I did get a little rock on two of them at the 13th. and 17th. frets, so I did a level an crown on these areas. This is not rellegated to overseas guitars though. I've had numerous American guitars with the odd high fret.
    Anyway, it's been a fun instrument to play, and will be a studio and jamming staple.
    Check one out.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 01.05.10 at 03:54 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  2. #2
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    The link to the pic didn't work....sorry. My cam is down, but this is essentially the bass. Mine has more pronounced grain, and I also put on my original 70's era threaded saddle bridge. I just like the way they look. The stock bridge sounds quite good, but I don't like big chrome saddles.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,331
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Likes
    299
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Beauty!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,968
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 02:29 PM
    Likes
    3,518
    Liked 18,202 Times in 8,994 Posts

    Default

    That is a nice looking bass. Helluva lot better looker than my Squier.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  5. #5
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    That is a nice looking bass. Helluva lot better looker than my Squier.
    Happy New Year! Yeah, it really is. I'm no gear snob or anything, but Squier with me......I just never was impressed with them. I went into buying a bass with a $1.400.00 cap in mind, so when I came across this baby, I was overjoyed that I had walked out with my bank account still intact. Like I said too, any small issues I've found on this bass are nothing I hav'nt come across on much more expensive American or Canadian instruments. They all need adjusting to some degree, and I like to add personal touches so for under three hundred for a very solid great sounding bass, how can you go wrong despite whos name is on the headstock?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk sixstring's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.22.04
    Age
    45
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    9,852
    Favorite VH Album

    1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Happy New Year! Yeah, it really is. I'm no gear snob or anything, but Squier with me......I just never was impressed with them. I went into buying a bass with a $1.400.00 cap in mind, so when I came across this baby, I was overjoyed that I had walked out with my bank account still intact. Like I said too, any small issues I've found on this bass are nothing I hav'nt come across on much more expensive American or Canadian instruments. They all need adjusting to some degree, and I like to add personal touches so for under three hundred for a very solid great sounding bass, how can you go wrong despite whos name is on the headstock?
    Thanks for sharing the info! That's mt IDEAL bass, except that it's a Squire...but after your glowing review, I may have to get one of those myself. I LOVE the Geddy Lee model but it's always been out of my price range and this might be the closest thing to it without breaking the bank.

    AWESOME.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


    "20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

    "something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

    "in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

  7. #7
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Thanks for sharing the info! That's mt IDEAL bass, except that it's a Squire...but after your glowing review, I may have to get one of those myself. I LOVE the Geddy Lee model but it's always been out of my price range and this might be the closest thing to it without breaking the bank.

    AWESOME.
    Haha! I know, I know! I had to get over the "Squier stigma" too. You know me, I like to buy North American, but in these times, sometimes common sense wins over, and you gotta set some of that aside.
    I'm not the only one praising this bass. Here's a link to one site, but most sites echo the same.

    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...ass/index.html

    You will see some detractors talking about the block inlays and binding, claiming they are "painted on." They're not. The binding is industry standard in black. The block inlays are actually decal. Most maufacturers had switched to this practice with black/ebony block style inlay in the mid eighties (with the exception of high end pearloid/ mother of pearl inlay) in maple for cost reasons, and this also includes "real Fender" re-issues. Most bad comments you'll also notice, were also made by folks who never even picked up the bass, so their opinion means jack shit. Is it "the bass" for everyone/ Not by a long shot, but it's still a fine bass, and not just for the money. It's plain and simple a nice find.
    The percentage of good reviews though is what sold me into checking out this bass, and you'll notice the more recent reviews show that improvements were made from the '06 models. Nice to know the company was listening.
    A real exception to the Squier stigma.
    Take care man.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 01.06.10 at 09:40 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk sixstring's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.22.04
    Age
    45
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    9,852
    Favorite VH Album

    1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Haha! I know, I know! I had to get over the "Squier stigma" too. You know me, I like to buy North American, but in these times, sometimes common sense wins over, and you gotta set some of that aside.
    I'm not the only one praising this bass. Here's a link to one site, but most sites echo the same.

    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...ass/index.html

    You will see some detractors talking about the block inlays and binding, claiming they are "painted on." They're not. The binding is industry standard in black. The block inlays are actually decal. Most maufacturers had switched to this practice with black/ebony block style inlay in the mid eighties (with the exception of high end pearloid/ mother of pearl inlay) in maple for cost reasons, and this also includes "real Fender" re-issues. Most bad comments you'll also notice, were also made by folks who never even picked up the bass, so their opinion means jack shit. Is it "the bass" for everyone/ Not by a long shot, but it's still a fine bass, and not just for the money. It's plain and simple a nice find.
    The percentage of good reviews though is what sold me into checking out this bass, and you'll notice the more recent reviews show that improvements were made from the '06 models. Nice to know the company was listening.
    A real exception to the Squier stigma.
    Take care man.
    You bet. Thanks for all the info. The main reason for me being interested in that bass is the fact that it's SO difficult to find quality basses with MAPLE necks AND fretboards, let alone at a reasonable price. Since acquiring my first Peavey Wolf, I've been TOTALLY sold on the sonic qualities of the before-mentioned neck. There's just no substitute in my book. I almost can't bring myself to play anything with rosewood anymore. The maple just has a 'snap' and sustain to it that is unrivaled.

    Last edited by sixstring; 01.06.10 at 11:07 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


    "20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

    "something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

    "in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

  9. #9
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    The link to the pic didn't work....sorry. My cam is down, but this is essentially the bass. Mine has more pronounced grain, and I also put on my original 70's era threaded saddle bridge. I just like the way they look. The stock bridge sounds quite good, but I don't like big chrome saddles.
    our bass player (my brother) plays nothing but squire P basses, he swear by them, yeah i've modded them a little for him but they are solid as solid as anything either of us have played from the U.S or elsewhere. and with our live show it's good that they don't cost a lot to replace!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  10. #10
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    our bass player (my brother) plays nothing but squire P basses, he swear by them, yeah i've modded them a little for him but they are solid as solid as anything either of us have played from the U.S or elsewhere. and with our live show it's good that they don't cost a lot to replace!
    Yeah, they are quite solid. One thing I was taken by last light was just how good the neck fitment is. The pocket it perfectly routed and finished, and you could'nt slip a piece of paper in anywhere around the neck. Compare this to my old Ibanez, and even my old Fender Precision. Both those necks had issues with slight shifting, and they were not considered cheap basses by any means. The pickups are real good for stock too. Their the Indonesian made Duncan Design pups. I'm sure if I upgraded I could do no wrong, but they sound real good as is. Real vintage J, but with a little more smack. Nice touch, and adds a bit more versatility.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,968
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 02:29 PM
    Likes
    3,518
    Liked 18,202 Times in 8,994 Posts

    Default

    I know they get some grief from bass players all around, but I like my Squire, I have never had any problems with it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Just like Epiphone, Squire makes crap and they make some damn good stuff. For whatever reason, I have a hard time finding the good stuff in most music stores.

    As for your bass, big congrats to you sleeper. In case you're curious, this exact bass got a glowing review from Guitar magazine...the really cool british mag.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  13. #13
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Just like Epiphone, Squire makes crap and they make some damn good stuff. For whatever reason, I have a hard time finding the good stuff in most music stores.

    As for your bass, big congrats to you sleeper. In case you're curious, this exact bass got a glowing review from Guitar magazine...the really cool british mag.
    Thanks Broken. Very true....And not just Epi and Squier. I've seen huge problems on U.S. and Canadian instruments as of late.
    Horrible fretwork, missing/angled screws, warped necks, dried globs of glue finished over....so not just relegated to their off shore counterparts. As far as finding these, yeah, this one was at the last store I went to. The guy that helped me out said they sell about 6 or 7 a month, and people are floored at their overall performance, and the only reason this one had'nt moved was because of the action/truss rod being so out of adjustment, and was buzzy on the upper frets because of the amount of relief. (they don't do setup at this store, and sell as is, but have a great return policy and do farm out set up to a sub free of charge on new purchases.) it did'nt have any warp though, and sounded real good in the lower registers. I got the neck dead on, and it's a real player. I also ditched the knurled chrome knobs, and put on a set of old funky Jazz knobs on it. Looks great. Those and the threaded saddle bridge give it that cool industrial surplus style I love about old Fender J's.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 01.06.10 at 03:01 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05.15.09, 07:44 PM
  2. Just picked up my first guitar!
    By lardo5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12.04.07, 09:19 PM
  3. Where's The Bass?
    By ericgtr in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.09.03, 09:18 AM
  4. Interesting book I picked up
    By xaminer in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10.16.02, 11:08 AM
  5. Bass anyone?
    By Panama5150 in forum Musicians' Corner
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06.21.01, 10:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •