Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Default Does anyone think there will ever be a guitarist quite like Eddie?

This might be in the wrong section. If so, you can move it, Mods.

When I say guitarist like Eddie, I mean a guitarist that changed rock music and became a total inspiration to other guitarists around the world, yet still has the ability to be a household name.

Non-musicians usually don't tend to go to Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and others' concerts. Eddie, on the other hand has a fan base that's made up of more non-guitarists than any other guitar hero ever. Everyone knows who EVH is, especially in the '80's and '90's. Most others cannot say that.

Thoughts?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    This might be in the wrong section. If so, you can move it, Mods.

When I say guitarist like Eddie, I mean a guitarist that changed rock music and became a total inspiration to other guitarists around the world, yet still has the ability to be a household name.

Non-musicians usually don't tend to go to Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and others' concerts. Eddie, on the other hand has a fan base that's made up of more non-guitarists than any other guitar hero ever. Everyone knows who EVH is, especially in the '80's and '90's. Most others cannot say that.

Thoughts?
    no. Even on a drunken bender he is better than most guitarists could ever dream. Between him and Clapton and Hendrix there's really not much left to do.

Posted from mobile device.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

I don't think it's possible. He changed the whole vibe of the instrument. I don't know what else someone could do.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

The optimist in me says possible, but Magic 8 Ball says go fuck yourself.
    Whatever that means. I'm not currently on speaking terms with Magic 8 Ball
    nor any of his ouija board contemporaries.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who knows? I mean before Eddie came along, nobody could've imagined doing what HE did. So who's to say if there'll be somebody like him again? Only time will tell.

Do I hope somebody comes along and reinvents rock guitar all over again? I sure as hell do!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

That's what I was thinking, if not saying. People couldn't imagine beyond Hendrix at the time.
    Guys like Alvin Lee and Ace Frehly were considered fast until Ed arrived. By the mid 80s everyone
    was trying to invent the next finger tapping when Ynqwie came along and started the whole shred and
    sweep picking craze. You never know. Part of me says it gets harder and harder to make 12 notes interesting,
    but when people are generally satisfied with about 5, the other part of me says we're just scratching the surface.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Well seeing that the guitar is infinate and has no end I cant say. But I can remember when everything and everyone was measured against Hendrix and that being the highest peak, nobody thought anything else could be done.

When Eddie burst on the scene he took it to a totaly different galaxy in so many ways. So who is to say there is not some kid out there, that one day will do the same thing. Right now I am just praying for a whole new format of guitar driven music. It scares the sh!t out of me that I could not even list 5 new bands in the last few years that I actualy have heard.

As far as Eddie and every other virtuoso player, the difference is everything begins and ends with a song, and he just had the talent to write a ton of songs that everyone can relate to and just not players and the fact he had somany well known songs based around very technical playing is even more astonishing.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I don't think it's possible. He changed the whole vibe of the instrument. I don't know what else someone could do.
    that rules Hack out as the next guitar visionary! Me as well. heeheeheehee

I highly doubt there will be a guitarist who captures the imagination of musicians, music fans, chicks and kimmie quite the way EVH has. That probably has more to do with the demassification of music and media as it does with any given guitarist's talent and songwriting ability. It's just harder for someone to capture such a huge audience and keep it now a days because we cater our entertainment so specifically to our individual tastes. Mainstream music and media just isn't what it used to be because it doesn't have to be.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.10 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I've got to agree, I'm sure theres some young wunderkind out there that can do things with the guitar that I can only imagine being able to do, but to be the complete package(guitar player, songwriter, and personality) I'm just not sure if he will come around in my lifetime...

Favorite VH Album

Entire catalogue
    Favorite VH Song

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Donor

The Bible is alive forever !
    Blaise Pascal is alive forever !

Van Halen is alive forever !

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Happy holidays everyone !!!....................Yes there will be another great. That player will be different, but will be a game changer ! The only reason we have not seen it yet is because Eddie was satured in the media like no other player ever before and therefore we ended up with an entire generation of clones. As soon as that dies off, anthter great will emerge, we are in the infant stages of eddies dominance fading. I would give it somewhere between 10 and 20 years.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are several reasons why EvH has become such an icon IMO ...

* Despite not having put out any new music in many years, =VH= had been fairly consistant in putting out new music over a 25 year span, thus continuing to grow their fan base.

* Ed's music (and image) continued to change with the times, thus making himself and his music "marketable" to the masses. How many times have you watched sporting events and heard the song "Jump" or "Right Now"?

* Ed has been incredibly successful in marketing himself, his trademark, and his products which offer him even more notoriety and fame. He's not just a kick-ass guitar player ... he's an incredible song writer, and a very shrewd businessman.

IMO, EvH is the total package.
    Yes, other guitarists will come as will new trends, but I seriously doubt that any will have the longevity or create the legacy that EvH has.

Just my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    no. Even on a drunken bender he is better than most guitarists could ever dream. Between him and Clapton and Hendrix there's really not much left to do.

Posted from mobile device.
    Please tell me you're joking...EVH stopped growing as a musician YEARS ago...I can name 20 guys right now who will destroy EVH on his best day...

If you think there's not much left after the three you mentioned, you need to broaden your playlist...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While there will be someone as influential and ground-breaking like EVH, there will NEVER be another EVH. Just like there will never be another Ace, Jimmy Page, Ted Nugent or Chuck Berry, the next big guitarist will forge him or herself their own "great guitar hero" crown.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Last Online

05.27.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's already happened. Joe Satriani brought it to he next level but he didn't get mass appeal because his instrumentals aren't played on the airwaves like songs with lyrics. If he had been in a band with a superstar lead singer, it would have been all over.

That being said, there will be another great "game changing" guitarist in the future. Actually, there will be more than one. I'm sure that there will be new effects coming out by the guitar companies that will change sound and help things along. That will help to change the sound of the future. Obviously, you've got to have the raw chops to make it happen but those raw chops combined with new innovations will go a long way in the shaping of the future.