Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Attempted Christmas Day Terrorist Attack Foiled on Detroit bound U.S. jetliner...

ROMULUS, Mich. - A Nigerian man tried to light a powder aboard a commercial jetliner before it landed Friday in Detroit in what senior U.S. officials called an attempted act of terrorism.

Flight 253 with 278 passengers aboard was 20 minutes from the airport when it sounded like a firecracker had exploded, witnesses said. Passengers saw the attempted attack, and one of them jumped on the man and subdued him, an airline official told NBC News.

Stricter security measures were imposed on airline travel, but those were not specified.

The man had “some kind of incendiary device he tried to ignite” in a bag strapped to his body, U.S. officials told NBC News. Other officials told NBC station WDIV-TV of Detroit that the device was a mixture of powder and liquid, which failed to ignite when the passenger tried to detonate it during the plane’s descent into Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport.

Federal officials identified the man as Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 23, of Nigeria, who was traveling one way, without a return ticket. Dawn Griffith, who was waiting for her husband on the plane, said she saw the man being carted away on a gurney or bed, with his bandaged hands handcuffed to the railing.

The man was being treated at the burn unit of the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, officials said.

In terrorism files?
    On Rep. Peter King of New York, the senior Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, who was briefed on the incident, said Abdulmutallab was known in federal counterterrorism files and may have been on the government’s list of suspicious passengers banned from flying in the United States.

King said the incident raised troubling questions about airline security. “It must be looked into” how Abdulmutallab was able to sneak a “somewhat sophisticated device” on board, he said.

Abdulmutallab told investigators that he wanted to set off a bomb over the United States, counterterrorism officials said.

A counterterrorism official said Abdulmutallab, who was subdued by the crew of Northwest Air Lines Flight 253 from Amsterdam, left Lagos, Nigeria, on Thursday and boarded the flight in Amsterdam on Friday.

The timing of the attempted attack could be significant. It was eight years ago this week that a similar attempted attack was launched by a British member of al-Qaida who tried to blow up a flight from Paris to Miami by igniting explosives in his shoes. And the attempted attack comes on the same day that the Taliban released a video of a U.S. soldier it is holding captive in Afghanistan.

A pop, and then smoke
    There was nothing out of the ordinary until Flight 253, an Airbus 330 carrying 278 passengers, was on final approach to Detroit. Although the jet bore the insignia of Delta Airlines, it was operated by Northwest.

Then came the disturbance in the passenger cabin, and that is when the pilot declared an emergency, said Elizabeth Isham Cory, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, in an e-mail message.

"It sounded like a firecracker in a pillowcase," said Peter Smith, a passenger from the Netherlands told The Associated Press. "First there was a pop, and then (there) was smoke."

At least one passenger acted heroically.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34592031...me_and_courts/
    Last edited by voivod; 12.25.09 at 07:16 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

cut his nuts off!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

4 thoughts. 3 original (1 stolen).

I'm pissed he even made it onto the plane. It's embarrassing.

Strange he chose Detroit. The final approach in Detroit is miles away from major populations as the airport is a good drive south of Detroit proper.

Please refrain from Detroit jokes in this thread. Not funny in this case.

Cut his nuts off (thanks Muff).

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    4 thoughts. 3 original (1 stolen).

I'm pissed he even made it onto the plane. It's embarrassing.

Strange he chose Detroit. The final approach in Detroit is miles away from major populations as the airport is a good drive south of Detroit proper.

Please refrain from Detroit jokes in this thread. Not funny in this case.

Cut his nuts off (thanks Muff).
    Not trying to be funny, genuinely curious, is there enough left in Detroit to destroy? I read an article online a few months back about the ghost town detroit was becoming with some pretty depressing photos. It seems like beyond the fact that the airport is so far from Detroit proper, that there are more devastating places to attempt to bomb. Granted, any attack or attempted attack on American soil is horrifying.

LV

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

i have no issue with public executions in cases like this.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lacy_vious View Post
    Not trying to be funny, genuinely curious, is there enough left in Detroit to destroy? I read an article online a few months back about the ghost town detroit was becoming

LV
    Well detroit mabey a ghost town but the suburbs are not,detroit metro airport is in romulus mi,a suburb of detroit,and happens to be 4miles from my house as i live in the suburbs,man this stuff is bad anywhere but this hits a little to close to home. Yeah,cut his nuts off! Or strap a m-80 to them!
    Last edited by 5150jeff; 12.25.09 at 10:30 PM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

LV,

Downtown Detroit is big and still has viable business and industry. The nightlife sucks. There's very little for people to do or see. The city can't afford to tear down what people abandoned after the '68 riots (hence the decaying neighborhood photo galleries in Time Magazine). The city is now under a million people but the Detroit Metro area has over 4 million.

Detroit is very strange from a geographical standpoint. The city itself is HUGE and sprawling (very much like LA). The shitty neighborhoods or ones left behind are expansive. Fertile for farming cheap land. Here's a great article about Detroit's "urban prairie". Some people see "wasteland" but others see "opportunity".

http://theurbanophile.blogspot.com/2...y-and-new.html

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

A man named Farouk traveling one way from Nigeria to Detroit and I'll bet he had no bags except his carry on. I can't believe he was not searched and or denied flight.Its too bad they did not just bash his skull in on the plane now he's in a burn unit getting cared for. And they would not let me into Canada 2 yrs ago because I had a PBJ for DUI in 02.
    Last edited by edwardv; 12.26.09 at 05:18 AM.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

great now airport "security" is going to get even more retarded.

Don't get me wrong, obviously i'm happy that this douche bag's plan was foiled but if this gains any sort of traction, the airports are going to be even more of a mess to get through and planes are going to be even more difficult to get on and off of....and jesus the people in charge of "airport security" are absolutely retarded! They are freaking drones and yet we have to give over our safety and freedom to these people!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post

Detroit is very strange from a geographical standpoint. The city itself is HUGE and sprawling (very much like LA). The shitty neighborhoods or ones left behind are expansive. Fertile for farming cheap land. Here's a great article about Detroit's "urban prairie". Some people see "wasteland" but others see "opportunity".

http://theurbanophile.blogspot.com/2...y-and-new.html

Detroit is a huge sprawl and while Michigan's population is dropping, Detroit is still a center of population, technology and industry in the region.

Ironic how the mayor of Flint was attacked for his plan to tear down everything that had been abandoned thus shrinking the size of the city.

When you see areas of Detroit that have stood abandoned for decades, I can see his point....an aerial photo of present day Downtown Toledo will show an abundance of parking lots as compared to 1950's Toledo.

I'm a preservationist, but I still believe it is better to tear down everything but the historic, than to have it remain abandoned for so long..Detroit is the perfect example

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    Detroit is a huge sprawl and while Michigan's population is dropping, Detroit is still a center of population, technology and industry in the region.

Ironic how the mayor of Flint was attacked for his plan to tear down everything that had been abandoned thus shrinking the size of the city.

When you see areas of Detroit that have stood abandoned for decades, I can see his point....an aerial photo of present day Downtown Toledo will show an abundance of parking lots as compared to 1950's Toledo.

I'm a preservationist, but I still believe it is better to tear down everything but the historic, than to have it remain abandoned for so long..Detroit is the perfect example
    I'm with you on this. Too often people let pride get in the way. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's historically significant and there are plenty of ghettos and nasty abandoned buildings all over Houston that should be torn down. I've seen a lot of photos of Detroit and Flint and I don't see how anyone would want to keep that stuff up.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

They leave all these burned out houses and stuff here,but they tear down historic tiger stadium. anyways Kudos to the passengers that tackled and subbdued this asshole.
    Last edited by 5150jeff; 12.26.09 at 09:02 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

At some point we're going to have board airplanes stark naked.

so how does someone get a firecracker on board an airplane anyway?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    At some point we're going to have board airplanes stark naked.

so how does someone get a firecracker on board an airplane anyway?
    I don't get it either. They plunder my shaving kit bag for a 40 minute flight to Chicago but an a-hole on the FBI Terrorism File hops a 1 way international flight with freaking fireworks?

Like Broken, I'm all for leveling abandoned buildings and decrepit neighborhoods. Until the city can come up with an attractive infrastructure to lure families and communities back to the city to begin with (lower crime, restaurants, shopping, entertainment), no one will want to come back anyway. Unfortunately for Detroit (and people like me living near Detroit), it just doesn't have the $. At least the city is starting to thin out some of the government corruption that has plagued it for decades. I'm hopeful Detroit can improve and rebuild. There is opportunity for it to happen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dang it, this man has rights.

Sure, we don't know if he was alone, or if there are other similar attacks in the works, but it is up to him to tell us. If he doesn't then that is his right under the 5th ammendment.

Remember, it is not about the threat to innocent lives, it is all about this man's civil rights as afforded him by being held in custody within the United States.

Change we can believe in.

** tongue placed firmly in cheek**
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300