Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100

Fellas, I got a guy who wants to trade me for my Mesa Triple Rec + $200. I hate the Mesa, and I dont use it. I just dont know if it is a fair deal. Can anyone speak on the Marshalls behalf?? Reliable? Good head?

My ear is the Peavey 5150, II, and the EVH.

Thanks

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtuner317 View Post
    Fellas, I got a guy who wants to trade me for my Mesa Triple Rec + $200. I hate the Mesa, and I dont use it. I just dont know if it is a fair deal. Can anyone speak on the Marshalls behalf?? Reliable? Good head?

My ear is the Peavey 5150, II, and the EVH.

Thanks
    If it is a Marshall 'triple super lead', I don't know if you'd like it much. I've played a few different TSL's, and none of them sounded much like a 'real marshall'. In fact, the Egnator 4100 head, and the Peavey 3120 especially, sounded much more raw and 'vintage marshall-like' than the TSL's I've played.
    And I'm not the only guy who thinks that. I've heard a lot of the same kind of complaints about the TSL from a lot of Marshall fans.

So maybe borrow the amp from the guy for a week and try it if you can. See if you like it.

Now, on the other hand, the Dual Super Lead is much nicer... I would recommend trading for one of those if you don't like your mesa.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny, I read the same thing. Very cool. Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The TSL and DSL sound almost identical. The TSL just needs to be dialed in properly. You can get awesome classic Marshall tones out of it. Put it through a cab with greenbacks and it really shines.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FatStrat85 View Post
    The TSL and DSL sound almost identical. The TSL just needs to be dialed in properly. You can get awesome classic Marshall tones out of it. Put it through a cab with greenbacks and it really shines.
    I'd really like to see the schematics for those 2 amps and compare the lead channels... see how close circuit wise they are.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FatStrat85 View Post
    If I picked it up I would be playing it thru my 5150 III cabs. Good deal, bad deal???

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtuner317 View Post
    If I picked it up I would be playing it thru my 5150 III cabs. Good deal, bad deal???
    I would assume those are some of the best cabs to play a Marshall into. I mean, those celestions are modeled off of the old greenbacks anyway.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I have a DSL100 which I picked up new last April. I'm also on a few Marshall forums and the consensus is that the DSL and TSL do not sound the same. People say that even the cleans are better on the DSL. It does do those well, and that's something people don't usually associate with Marshall. The TSL apparently is not just the DSL circuit with another channel added, but as someone added it would be interesting to check out the schematics. That's not to say that the TSL can't sound good- it just seems to need a lot more dialing in and tweaking of tubes, etc. Some guys have gotten great results running NOS preamp tubes. Different brand NOS tubes in each socket... but that's another hobby in itself.

The DSL is regarded as having a more true tube tone and the classic Marshall roar due to its simpler signal path. Although perhaps the ultimate Marshall for that Marshall roar is the single channel JCM 800 2203. The DSL classic gain channel in crunch mode is super with an MXR 6 band EQ or clean boost in front to push it a little. The ultra gain channel needs no help at all and has tons of gain on tap.

If you have a shot at the TSL and can test it through your cab I'd say to go for it. I mean, at one point it was the flagship amp in the Marshall line. The prior owner may have already tweaked the tone on the TSL (tubes, etc.) and you definitely have the best cab to play through. If that deal falls through for whatever reason I'd recommend the DSL100. You might even find a GC, etc. that is willing to part with a new DSL100 head in a trade deal with your Mesa. The new DSL100 is currently sold as a package along with a MC412 cab rated at 200 watt and loaded with Celestion Rocket 50's (which actually sound pretty damn good at low/medium volumes, but they're not Greenbacks or Vintage 30's). I've read that some dealers have sold the head on its own though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, all I can say is that my band has both a DSL and a TSL (as well as other amps), and when dialed in properly, we can't really tell the difference between the two. Crank up the gain on the Crunch channel, turn the presence very low, turn off deep mode, do not use V.P.R. mode, mid at around 4, high and low both at around 6, reverb off or no higher than 2. Use a greenback 4x12 cab. Tweak to taste. Awesome Marshall tones can be found. Granted, I replaced the tubes with a set from Eurotubes back when I first got the amp, so that may be a factor. I also get beautiful tones from the clean channel, in both modes. It's a warm sound and not a bright Fender thing, but it's very nice.
    Last edited by FatStrat85; 12.24.09 at 07:52 AM.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I'm glad you pointed out the V.P.R. I think that's one place where people have complained about the TSL tone, and it's best to leave it turned off. The DSL doesn't have it. Also, when I think back to many of the 'poor TSL tone' threads I've read I've believe that many of those people were running TSL combos. To me anyway, if you want the Marshall roar you have to be going through some sort of closed back 4 x 12 cab. How's the TSL effects loop if you use it? I seem to recall people having more difficulties with the TSL loop vs. the DSL loop (might be wrong though).

I think it can't be overstated that when purchasing pre-owned equipment there are so many factors that can affect the tone for better or for worse. Prior use/abuse (did they use a Variac often, LOL), poor quality/worn out tubes, wildly incorrect bias setting, internal mods or attemps at mods, and so on. So someone purchases a used Marshall JCM XXXX head with a few of these problems and then thinks that particular line sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    I'm glad you pointed out the V.P.R. I think that's one place where people have complained about the TSL tone, and it's best to leave it turned off. The DSL doesn't have it. Also, when I think back to many of the 'poor TSL tone' threads I've read I've believe that many of those people were running TSL combos. To me anyway, if you want the Marshall roar you have to be going through some sort of closed back 4 x 12 cab. How's the TSL effects loop if you use it? I seem to recall people having more difficulties with the TSL loop vs. the DSL loop (might be wrong though).
    The loop on the TSL works perfectly. Ironically, the DSL loop is actually broken and only works intermittently. The TSL is a TSL122 combo, and it sounds harsh through the combo speakers, so we run it through an external greenback cab. This wouldn't be a problem if you just bought the TSL100 head. We A/B back and forth between the DSL and TSL through the same cab, and they sound unbelievably similar.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    If How's the TSL effects loop if you use it? I seem to recall people having more difficulties with the TSL loop vs. the DSL loop (might be wrong though).
    You're correct, if you try to patch a Boss GT8 through it properly, it's not possible. You have to run it through the guitar input jack and it sounds all distorted.

I had a TSL60 and it was major suckage. I wouldn't recommend the TSL series at all.