VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Auschwitz "Arbeit Macht Frei" Sign Stolen

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580525,00.html

OSWIECIM, Poland — The Nazis' infamous sign declaring "Arbeit Macht Frei" — German for "Work Sets You Free" — was stolen Friday from the entrance of the former Auschwitz death camp, Polish police said.

The 16-foot-long, 90-pound steel sign at the Holocaust memorial site in southern Poland was unscrewed on one side and torn off on the other, police spokeswoman Katarzyna Padlo said.

The theft from the entrance to the camp — where more than 1 million people, mostly Jews, died during World War II — brought condemnation worldwide.

"The theft of such a symbolic object is an attack on the memory of the Holocaust, and an escalation from those elements that would like to return us to darker days," Yad Vashem Chairman Avner Shalev said in a statement from Jerusalem.

"I call on all enlightened forces in the world who fight against anti-Semitism, racism, xenophobia and the hatred of the other, to join together to combat these trends."

The sign disappeared from the Auschwitz memorial between 3:30 a.m. and 5 a.m., Padlo said.

Police deployed 50 police, including 20 detectives, and a search dog to the Auschwitz grounds, where barracks, watchtowers and ruins of gas chambers stand as testament to the atrocities of Nazi Germany.

Police said they were reviewing footage from a surveillance camera that overlooks the entrance gate and the road beyond, but declined to say whether the crime was recorded.

Auschwitz museum spokesman Jaroslaw Mensfelt said it might have been too dark for the camera to have captured images.

He said the thieves apparently carried the sign 300 meters to an opening in a concrete wall. That opening had been left intentionally to preserve a poplar tree dating back to the time of the war.

Four metal bars that had blocked the opening were cut. Footprints in the snow led from the wall opening to the nearby road, where police presume the sign was loaded on to a vehicle.

Poland's chief rabbi, Michael Schudrich, said he had trouble imagining who would steal the sign.

"If they are pranksters, they'd have to be sick pranksters, or someone with a political agenda. But whoever has done it has desecrated world memory," Schudrich said.

He said the theft could have been committed by neo-Nazi extremists, or even people scheming to sell the sign on the black market.

"There's a market for everything," he said, adding that it was "like stealing a Picasso. Even a hot Picasso you could try to move after 10 years — but not this."

An exact replica of the sign, produced when the original received restoration work years ago, was quickly hung in its place.

In Brussels, European Parliament president Jerzy Buzek, a former Polish prime minister, appealed to the thieves to return the sign.

"Give it back out of respect for the suffering of over a million victims, murdered in this Nazi camp, the biggest cemetery of humankind," Buzek said.

Polish President Lech Kaczynski said he was "shaken and outraged" by the theft of a "world-known symbol of Nazi cynicism and cruelty." He appealed to all Poles for help finding it.

Police were offering a $1,700 reward for public tipoffs about the thieves.

In Jerusalem, the International Auschwitz Committee said the theft "deeply unsettles the survivors."

"The sign has to be found," said Noach Flug, an Auschwitz survivor and president of the committee. "The slogan and the camp itself will tell what happened even when we won't be able to tell anymore."

After occupying Poland in 1939, the Nazis established the Auschwitz I camp in the southern Polish city of Oswiecim and initially used it for German political prisoners and non-Jewish Polish prisoners, who began arriving in June 1940.

Nazi guards ordered Polish inmates to make the original sign shortly thereafter in the camp's workshop, museum spokesman Pawel Sawicki said.

Two years later, hundreds of thousands of Jews began arriving by cattle trains to the wooden barracks of nearby Birkenau, also called Auschwitz II, where most were killed in gas chambers.

The slogan "Arbeit Macht Frei" appeared at the entrances of other Nazi camps, including Dachau and Sachsenhausen. The long curving sign at Auschwitz is considered the best known.

Today the Auschwitz site attracts more than 1 million visitors annually.

This week Germany pledged $87 million — half the estimated amount required — to a new endowment that will fund long-term preservation work.

This was the first major act of vandalism at the site, which previously has suffered graffiti including spray-painted swastikas.

Other Holocaust memorials have suffered neo-Nazi vandalism. Sachsenhausen on the outskirts of Berlin was attacked in 1992, when two barracks were set on fire. That crime remains unsolved.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

I'am glad that Poland/Germany maintains that place for all to see. Perhaps Amineedofjihad has it for his next Holocaust deniers convention.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Absolutely disgusting.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

WARSAW, Poland – Polish police found the infamous "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign that was stolen from the gate of the former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz after an intensive three-day hunt and arrested five suspects, police said early Monday. The sign was found cut into three pieces.

Police spokeswoman Katarzyna Padlo told The Associated Press that the sign was found Sunday night in northern Poland, the other end of the country from the southern Polish town where the Auschwitz memorial museum is located and where it disappeared before dawn Friday.

Padlo said police detained five men between the ages of 25 and 39 and took them for questioning to Krakow, which is the regional command of the area that includes the Auschwitz museum.

Another police spokesman, Dariusz Nowak, said the 16-foot (5-meter) sign, made of hollow steel, was found cut into three pieces, each containing one of the words. The cruelly ironic phrase means "Work Sets You Free" and ran completely counter to the purpose of Auschwitz, which began as a concentration camp for political prisoners during the Nazi occupation of Poland and evolved into an extermination camp where Jews were gassed to death in factory-like fashion.

The police refused to divulge any details of the circumstances in which the sign was found or to speculate on the motive of the perpetrators. They were expected to disclose more at a news conference in Krakow planned for 0800 GMT (3 a.m. EST) Monday.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

The motive was obviously money. There are a lot of seriously fanatical nazi memorabilia collectors, most of whom are not in any way sympathetic to the nazi cause or history. My father knew one in Switzerland who had a massive collection worth an absolute fortune.

I can't remember the figure, but a Mercedes used by Hitler was recently sold in Germany for a very big number. This sign would have been a big prize for a rich (albeit deluded) collector.

Not surprising I guess though. A sign like this has a lot more historical value than some gum that Britney Spears once chewed, which I believe was auctioned on ebay a year or two ago.

Good that they have got it back. Yes, it's only a steel sign, but the more intact that camp remains, the more people will go to see it and hopefully learn something.

It would be nice to think that such reminders might help to ensure such a thing never happens again. Yes, I am an optimist.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post

It would be nice to think that such reminders might help to ensure such a thing never happens again. Yes, I am an optimist.
    Unfortunately for your optimism, it is essentially happening right now, just in slightly modified forms. See for example Iraq, Afghanistan, Darfur, and the global genocide of some 30,000 species of animals every single year--the sixth mass extinction in the world's history, and the first one not executed by natural causes.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've recently begun to think that "Arbeit Macht Frei" should be America's new slogan. Maybe the flag could even be modified to include the phrase. It can be translated if they so choose. OR, since we live in a democracy (*snicker*), perhaps WE can choose.

My vote is to leave it as is. Something is lost in translation--Arbeit Macht Frei just has such apt power and menace to it.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    Unfortunately for your optimism, it is essentially happening right now, just in slightly modified forms. See for example Iraq, Afghanistan, Darfur, and the global genocide of some 30,000 species of animals every single year--the sixth mass extinction in the world's history, and the first one not executed by natural causes.
    Yeah, no.

Outside of North Korea, which actually has opperational concentration camps, there is no equivalent to Nazi Germany on any scale.

The closest we have come was Rawanda in the 1990s, the Balkans in the 1990s, Cambodia in the late 1970s, and Stalinist Russia.

The "30,000 Species" thing has been proven to be an extreme over-statement. Man has had a hand in extinctions to be sure, but extinction on that level is caused by mother nature.

The simple fact is that the Third Reich had genocide down to an industrial science that the world had never seen before, and has never seen since.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    The "30,000 Species" thing has been proven to be an extreme over-statement. Man has had a hand in extinctions to be sure, but extinction on that level is caused by mother nature.
    Wrong. The current extinction crisis level is as much as 1,000 times the normal "background" rate of extinction caused by mother nature. How do you explain that one?

Let's see some of that "proof," eh?

You know you are disagreeing with what a majority of American biologists say? What are your credentials in the area?

From the Washington Post--April 21, 1998 (that's right, 11 years ago...try to keep up here, champ):

A majority of the nation's biologists are convinced that a "mass extinction" of plants and animals is underway that poses a major threat to humans in the next century, yet most Americans are only dimly aware of the problem, a poll says.

The rapid disappearance of species was ranked as one of the planet's gravest environmental worries, surpassing pollution, global warming and the thinning of the ozone layer, according to the survey of 400 scientists commissioned by New York's American Museum of Natural History.

The poll's release yesterday comes on the heels of a groundbreaking study of plant diversity that concluded than at least one in eight known plant species is threatened with extinction. Although scientists are divided over the specific numbers, many believe that the rate of loss is greater now than at any time in history.

"The speed at which species are being lost is much faster than any we've seen in the past -- including those [extinctions] related to meteor collisions," said Daniel Simberloff, a University of Tennessee ecologist and prominent expert in biological diversity who participated in the museum's survey. [Note: the last mass extinction caused by a meteor collision was that of the dinosaurs, 65 million years ago.]

Most of his peers apparently agree. Nearly seven out of 10 of the biologists polled said they believed a "mass extinction" was underway, and an equal number predicted that up to one-fifth of all living species could disappear within 30 years. Nearly all attributed the losses to human activity, especially the destruction of plant and animal habitats.

http://www.well.com/~davidu/extinction.html

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gosh Jan, bear with me, I'm only in my third year of college for my Marine Geology degree. I have had my biology class and my marine biology class and boy they were hard. I only got an A+ in Marine Biology, I had to suffer with a B+ in Biology because I'm not so hot on bacteria. In the fall of 2010 I will take a class in microbiology - just for fun - and also because I found cellular construction and and organization fascinating.

I so much look forward to picking your brain on Cyanobacteria, DNA, and RNA as I work towards my degree.

Oh anyway, 30,000 species IS over blown. It is more like around 5000, to 6000, and that is a lot. But it is not unprecedented:

http://www.physorg.com/news171127849.html

http://www.physorg.com/news153065721.html

I'm sorry I couldn't find any ten year old scientific studies to site, as kowleje student I am forced to deal with current data. In fact, the only old stuff I had to study was that Darwin guy. He wrote:

If then we have under nature variability and a powerful agent always ready to act and select, why should we doubt that variations in any way useful to beings, under their excessively complex relations of life, would be preserved, accumulated, and inherited? Why, if man can by patience select variations most useful to himself, should nature fail in selecting variations useful, under changing conditions of life, to her living products? What limit can be put to this power, acting during long ages and rigidly scrutinising the whole constitution, structure, and habits of each creature, -- favouring the good and rejecting the bad? I can see no limit to this power, in slowly and beautifully adapting each form to the most complex relations of life. The theory of natural selection, even if we looked no further than this, seems to me to be in itself probable.
    Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/origin/chapter14.html

The whole thing can be read here, it's hard 'cuz he's a scientist guy:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/origin.html

Wow, what an asshole, right?

Throw in the three mass extictions of the dinosaurs, the last one being 65 million years ago, and I see just how destructive man's influence on the planet is. I mean if our society is so toxic that it can kill things 65 million years in the past then surely something must be done.

Crap, now I have to take a physics class to figure out how Haliburton pulled that last trick off.

Anyway, man needs to do more to keep the environment healthy, that's for sure. However, when some one compares the Final Solution, Nazis, Hitler, or Auschwitz with ecology I will get in their shit every time. They have NOTHING to do with eachother. If you want to go that route then anybody who has had a semester of biology can show you how in the animal kingdom it is the NAZIs who would be the status quo. All around us wars are being fought and won by all kinds of creatures as they fight for resources. Redwood trees use standard military tactics of flanking, surrounding, and cutting off of resources (i.e. growing tall fast to block sunlight) to kill invasive trees. You don't even want to know what Macrocystis does to lessor algaes.

It is only homosapien that has ever bothered to try to get along with his world as a whole.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Throw in the three mass extictions of the dinosaurs, the last one being 65 million years ago, and I see just how destructive man's influence on the planet is. I mean if our society is so toxic that it can kill things 65 million years in the past then surely something must be done.

Crap, now I have to take a physics class to figure out how Haliburton pulled that last trick off.
    With all due respect, you're so full of shit you must taste it on the back of your tongue. I only said in my damn post that we're in the midst of the sixth mass extinction, the FIRST ONE caused by non-natural extreme occurrences (e.g. volcanoes, asteroids, etc.) I did say that, right?

It is only homosapien that has ever bothered to try to get along with his world as a whole.
    Homosapiens, yes. Civilized homo sapiens, NO. We're killing the planet. In your fancy marine biology classes (at community college?) have you learned about dead zones in the oceans twice the size of New Jersey, or the rapid death of the great coral reefs, or the 90% decline in large fish in the ocean? How about patches of floating garbage in the remote Pacific where bits of plastic outweigh plankton 5 to 1? These are not hearsay or speculation. Real, documented happenings clearly attributable to industrial humans' actions.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    Wrong. The current extinction crisis level is as much as 1,000 times the normal "background" rate of extinction caused by mother nature. How do you explain that one?
    ....waiting.....

Last Online

11.20.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey while your waiting, why don't you visit with a holocaust survivor and discuss what happened there. Perhaps hearing from someone who was there can get you back on topic with this thread.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have, including family members. Nice ASSumption though. My partner is Jewish. Three of my best friends are Jewish. My great-great-grandmother was Jewish. I come from Polish Gypsies, so my people were slaughtered too. So you can go ahead and zip it now. Zip it good.

I think I hear crickets chirping...and I think....yes...they seem to be coming from the central California area...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Delete
    Last edited by MF5150; 12.29.09 at 12:26 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel