Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

Default Pre-school kid suspended because his hair is too long

Are you fucking kidding me, this is the shit that gets peoples pants in a wad?

I have bolded my favorite part.

Texas parents, school tangle over boy's long locks
    By JEFF CARLTON, AP
    2 hours ago

BALCH SPRINGS, Texas Taylor Pugh has been suspended from pre-kindergarten because he likes his hair a little on the floppy side.

The 4-year-old sat with a teacher's aide in a suburban Dallas school library on Thursday during the fourth week of his in-school suspension.

Taylor's locks long on the front and sides, covering his earlobes and shirt collar violate the school district's dress code. His parents say the boy plans to eventually cut his hair and donate it to a charity that makes wigs for cancer patients. And they are not happy with the district's rules.

"They kicked me out that place," said Taylor, who prefers the nickname Tater Tot. "I miss my friends."

The school district appears "more concerned about his hair than his education," said Taylor's father, Delton Pugh, said Wednesday. "I don't think it's right to hold a child down and force him to do something ... when it's not hurting him or affecting his education."

Pugh, a tattoo artist, said he used to shave his own head but that his son "made me pinky promise I would let my hair grow long with him."

The follicle fight came to a head last month when Taylor's parents received a signed letter from Floyd Elementary School's principal, threatening to withdraw the boy from school if his hair didn't comply with district standards.

When Taylor's parents didn't budge, their son was suspended.

When the boy returned, his hair was longer than ever. But school officials decided suspension was too harsh and changed the punishment.

"They still have regular classroom work, but in an isolated environment," Mesquite Independent School District spokesman Ian Halperin said of the modified in-school suspension that Taylor is serving. "We expect students ... to adhere to the code of conduct."

According to the district dress code, boys' hair must be kept out of the eyes and cannot extend below the bottom of earlobes or over the collar of a dress shirt. Hairstyles "designed to attract attention to the individual or to disrupt the orderly conduct of the classroom or campus (are) not permitted," the policy states.

The district is known for standing tough on its dress code. Earlier this year, a seventh-grader in the district was sent home for wearing black skinny pants. His parents chose to home-school him.

On its Web site, the district defends its code, saying "students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live."

A persistent violator could face additional suspensions, but such issues are handled on a case-by-case basis, Halperin said.

Pugh said the issue is about more than hair. He said his son is being singled out, and that he has seen other male students in the district with hair much longer than Taylor's.

"Nobody wants to meet in the middle. It's all or nothing," Pugh said. "He's my son. I love him. I will back him to the end."
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

wow...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

***On its Web site, the district defends its code, saying "students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live."***

What do these fookers want? Hitler Youth? Nah, they just want drones who do what they are told, never to question anything. Big ups!
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This was commonplace in the school district I came up through.

Hair could not go below the collar, sideburns could not be below the ear and no facial hair was allowed. Boys couldn't wear earrings either. I was often harassed by the principles and teachers about my hair and was threatened with expulsion five days before I graduated by a teacher of whom I was not even a student. In junior high I was suspended for getting my ear pierced despite wearing a band-aid over it. They still have those same rules and in their handbook it expresses the same thing that you bolded in the article as well as to say that they have to protect the learning environment from disruption and they go so far as to say it's also a matter of safety. I heard them all over the years. First it was about pride and hygiene. Well, my hair was very clean and I was very proud of it. Then it was about disruption but I still fail to see how my hair was a "disruption" to anyone except the assholes running the joint. Finally they settled on the safety issue...as if my hair was going to get caught in heavy machinery...while sitting in social studies class.

That school district was awful...but then again, it was run by a bunch of uppity, racist, homophobic, baptist busy-bodies who seemed hell-bent on being as much of a pain in the ass of everyone they came across.

Jeez...one year my father, who at the time had a gorgeous braided pony-tail that went almost to his waist, sat through a choir booster club meeting and was flabbergasted at the director's BS about the school choir "need" to sing christian songs to the exclusion of everything else and with how dismissive the director was to him. You'd have thought my dad was some filthy deadbeat who couldn't string two words together when in reality he's the most well-read, intelligent person most people will ever meet.

By the time I graduated, my hair had become an obsession of the school. All through-out elementary and junior it was an issue. It was an issue in high school. Then, when I decided to cut my hair half-way through my senior year on a bit of a whim, you'd have thought I'd ascended to heaven or something. All I got were bastardly comments from teachers and principles about how I'm finally showing maturity and finally taking pride in my appearance and all this nonsense. God what a bunch of bastards they were.

That school was like going to private school but it was "public." I hated it and it's not surprising that people are still hung up on long hair on boys...shit they're hung up on everything else.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

On its Web site, the district defends its code, saying "students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live."

<checks calendar>

Yup....it's 2009.

This is some funny shit right here. Should we tell women they can't vote anymore as well as long as we're moving bass-ackwards, Balch Springs?

Still making blacks sit in the back too?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If he truly was growing his hair to donate to make wigs for cancer patients then good for him. But why do I feel that the parents came up with this after the fact? Am I being too cynical?

The rules of this school district are old, outdated and prehistoric. But to look at it in a different perspective...it seems the vast majority are following along. Not saying that is right either but this situation seems to fit in with thousands of others we hear about where kids can do no wrong and it's always someone else's fault.

Sorry...feeling a bit cynical today. I just read an article in my local paper about a kid who was bullied and the parent's of the bully are blaming the school board.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

To quote Lonesome George: Get A Haircut, and don't be a slob....

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    If he truly was growing his hair to donate to make wigs for cancer patients then good for him. But why do I feel that the parents came up with this after the fact? Am I being too cynical?

The rules of this school district are old, outdated and prehistoric. But to look at it in a different perspective...it seems the vast majority are following along. Not saying that is right either but this situation seems to fit in with thousands of others we hear about where kids can do no wrong and it's always someone else's fault.

Sorry...feeling a bit cynical today. I just read an article in my local paper about a kid who was bullied and the parent's of the bully are blaming the school board.
    I heard the same crap from teachers and administrators..."hey, our rules don't seem to inhibit the personality, individuality, personal tastes, expression or desires of all the other kids in our schools!" Sorry but the majority can go to hell. Why is there a need for rules that create such uniformity?

I interviewed our varsity basketball coach, who I had a lot of respect for. He was a good guy. When I tried out for freshman ball, he was real straight with me: "You can't have long hair and play ball. You should choose now before you go through the efforts of trying out." I walked. I wasn't going to make the team anyway so it wasn't worth it. A few years later I had the chance to interview him about his rules because it wasn't his only one. He wouldn't let players wear wrist/headbands and he wouldn't let them wear different sneakers or undershirts. His reasoning was simple. He wanted to project a tight, clean, uniform look and attitude. There were no indivduals on his team and he felt that, by and large, players who wore wrist bands and stuff were doing it more for the simple sake of drawing attention to themselves and being a showboat. Ok. Fine. I get it. His team and his rules and kids can choose whether they want to be on that team. I can respect that.

However, I don't believe that should be the view of the entire school district. First off, kids don't really choose where they go to school. What's more, school provides the environment for kids to develop and express their own individuality, tastes, attitudes and personalities. Yeah yeah, school is for learning the ABCs and 123s but there's a whole other aspect to going to school: socialization. I simply cannot find any real benefit to trying to force children into cookie cutter molds so that the administrators can feel they have a nice, neat, respectable student body.

For a time, I went to school in Miami and it was absolutely refreshing. They had no rules whatsoever concerning hair (colour or length) guys could have earrings, girls could wear whatever and guys could have facial hair. The school put all their emphasis on safety and education. Everything else took a backseat. I've never experienced a more happy, positive and proud student body in my years of being a student or my years of working with schools as a substitute teacher or volunteer. As kids we weren't hassled about our appearance. We were hassled about our intellect and our grades...seems like THAT'S what should be the issue of the day for schools.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

As a young Kiss fan, I got a lot of shit about my long hair in 5th grade. That was about 30 years ago. And as much pressure I got from students and adults, no one but my dad ever MADE me cut it. And unless you're at a scholl with uniforms, that's as it should be. Let's do the time warp again.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

My hair was always longer in school. Never heard a word about it. But again that was the Los Angeles Unified School District. I did go to a private school for 4th grade because of the busing thing we had here in the early 80's, but still never came up even there. Guess it was just a different thing here, tons of boys had long hair, this was Southern California.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Is pre-K mandatory? Forgive me for not knowing this, but is it a law that a 4-year old has to go to school? If not, then he is there by choice. At that point, it would seem that if he wants to be there, he has to follow the rules. Standards, if you will. Can't or won't follow the rules and meet the standard? Cool, protest them over there, in the screw-up room.

You wanna be on our team, here's what we expect. You wanna work here, then these are the necessary qualifications and expectations. You wanna live here at our rest home? Dinner's at 5, roll your ass down here at 4:55 for a good table.

It's life, folks, you're allllll meeting the expectations at some point, or you're suddenly living in the proverbial van down by the river. You wanna be some artsy-fartsy, avant-garde, cutting edge individual? Move to the arts district, and sell pottery or something, and donate to PBS while the average person on the street can't even have a conversation with you about the price of gas without hearing about your, your, your GREEN CRAP! Oh! OHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

That is crazy. My 12 year old son's hair is down to the middle of his back and he has no intentions of cutting it anytime soon. He's also an honor student, so I guess that school districts reasoning is a bit off. Hard to imagine at 4 or 5 years old the boys hair could be that long anyway.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is always the other side of the argument in having uniformity, it takes a tremendous amount of pressure and expense off of the kids and their parents. My kids go to public school but I would have no problem with uniforms and more stringent appearance rules. No more worrying about the latest styles, who is wearing the most expensive tennis shoes, who has diamond stud earrings, girls wearing totally inappropriate clothing, etc. It can have the effect of turning the focus back on school work and grades rather than keeping up with the latest fashion trends and statements. You can still express your individuality to your heart's content outside of school. Or even better, you can attend a private school that will let you do the same during school hours. Like Red mentioned, this is pretty much life in general. When you're on the company clock, you follow the rules and cut loose on your own time.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

if this is the school's rules and the parents knew this and still registered the kid then i have no problem with this.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Everyone must look the same, be the same, talk the same, think the same, feel the same.

We will give you all the freedoms that we think you need or are good for you. We are here to protect you. It is for your own good. You may now fart.

Clones: Good. Individuals : Bad.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/