Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Default Obama orders purchase of prison

I'll admit, I'm pretty excited about this. As you'll read in the story, nearly 4,000 jobs will be created, in my area, by this decision. We've needed a shot in th arm like this for a while.

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/ar...cc4c03286.html

The Obama administration will announce Tuesday that the president has directed the federal government to purchase the Thomson Correctional Center in order to move a “limited number” of foreign detainees at the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to the nearly vacant prison in northwest Illinois, an administration official said Monday night.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn and U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., will be briefed on the matter today, the official said.

Christina Mulka, a spokesperson for Durbin, also said late Monday they had been told the acquisition would move forward and the announcement would be made Tuesday.

In addition to the detainees, several hundred federal prisoners will be moved to the Thomson facility, which was built in 2001 to house state prisoners but has instead stood nearly empty as local officials have vainly tried to fill it.

The administration’s plan will bring hundreds of federal jobs to the area.

“Well, good,” Thomson Village Board President Jerry Hebeler said Monday night. “It’s been there for eight years.”

President Barack Obama said last January that he planned to close the controversial Guantanamo Bay facility within a year. The administration, with the backing of several military officials, has said it has become a symbol for terrorists.

“Closing the detention center at Guantanamo is essential to protecting our national security and helping our troops by removing a deadly recruiting tool from the hands of al-Qaida,” said the administration official, who requested anonymity because the decision had not been formally announced. “(Tuesday’s) announcement is an important step forward as we work to achieve our national security objectives.”

Finding a place for the more than 200 detainees still being held has been difficult. Even Democrats in Congress balked at the idea of moving the detainees to U.S. soil earlier this year.

After news broke last month that Thomson was being considered, Republicans in Congress criticized the decision, saying it would make northwest Illinois a target for terrorism. However, Democrats in the state, particularly Durbin and Quinn, as well as many people in the local community, have backed the idea as a potential boon to the area’s struggling economy.

The move could create up to 3,800 jobs over four years and inject $1 billion into the regional economy, the administration estimates.

Many townspeople whose friends and relatives hoped to land jobs as guards, or who had invested in businesses, also have had high hopes the prison would open, even though some of the same people have expressed reservations about having the detainees in their midst.

Word of the acquisition spread abruptly late Monday.

Quinn’s office had released his schedule for today shortly before 8 p.m. Monday, saying he would be in Chicago for the day. A revised version was released 2 1/2 hours later, saying he would be in Washington “to be briefed on the acquisition of Thomson Correctional Center.”

Not all elected officials were notified as quickly. A spokesman for U.S. Rep. Don Manzullo, the Republican who represents the Thomson area, said Monday night the congressman had not received any official confirmation from the White House regarding an announcement.

Manzullo has been critical of the proposal, saying there are numerous questions regarding safety and legal issues about the transfer that the Obama administration hasn’t yet answered.

“We haven’t been informed of the meeting,” said Manzullo spokesman Rich Carter. “Maybe they’ll call us (Tuesday) morning.”

There still are several tasks to be completed before the prison can be sold. It must be appraised and the state and federal government must settle on a price.

The prison, if the deal goes through, will be run by the federal Bureau of Prisons, according to the administration’s plan. The agency is expected to bring 1,600 to 2,000 prisoners to the Thomson facility.

Authorities will also spend some time bulking up security.

The federal Bureau of Prisons will add razor wire between the existing double fences and beef up the existing fence detection system. The Defense Department, which would lease a portion of the facility, would also erect another perimeter fence around the 146-acre complex, according to plans.

The administration has said it would exceed security at the country’s only “Supermax” prison in Colorado.

It’s not clear precisely how many foreign detainees would be brought to Thomson, though Durbin has put the number at less than 100.

It’s not clear when the first would arrive, either. At a briefing earlier this month, administration officials told members of the state’s congressional delegation it is reviewing the cases of each of the detainees, a process that would be done next month.

The decision to move forward with the purchase of Thomson comes just days after a leaked memo said the administration would make the move. It also comes a week before a state-sponsored hearing had been scheduled to be held in Sterling, Ill. The hearing is slated for Dec. 22.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    In addition to the detainees, several hundred federal prisoners will be moved to the Thomson facility, which was built in 2001 to house state prisoners but has instead stood nearly empty as local officials have vainly tried to fill it.
    Are people in Illinois that law abiding that they can't fill a prison? Geez, I'm sure several states would be happy to ship 'em a boxcar full of overflow.

And just like the New York trial thing, I'm not too excited about having these people on U.S. soil.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:03 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I say put them in General Population in lovely establishments such as Corcoran, San Quinton, Reicher's Island, etc. and let them get to know Bubba intimately in the shower.

They wouldn't last one day in GP. Just basing this on what I see on Lockup on MSNBC...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Are people in Illinois that law abiding that they can't fill a prison? Geez, I'm sure several states would be happy to ship 'em a boxcar full of overflow.

And just like the New York trial thing, I'm not too excited about having these people on U.S. soil.
    I was thinking the same thing and more importantly, why was there money spent when there wasn't a need?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I'm hesitant to have these people so close to a major city (Chicago), but I am glad that is nearly 4,000 jobs for Illinois. We need it.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing and more importantly, why was there money spent when there wasn't a need?
    Three words: Pork Barrel Spending
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

perhaps they were thinking along the lines of "if you build it, they will come..."

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Don't get me started on the pork barrel spending. I love the spending bill that was passed over the weekend that includes the following:

"The measure brings total earmarks in this year's spending bills to 7,577 at a cost of about $6 billion, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense. The Pentagon spending bill, the last of the annual appropriations bills, is expected to contain more earmarks than the omnibus bill, said Steve Ellis of the taxpayer group."

6 BILLION!!! It's like pocket change to these guys. The federal budget is so massive at this point, everybody slides pet projects in and there is no concern on how it's going to be paid for. Just like a prison that has been built where there is no need. Did they think "Build it and they will come?" What are the politicians going to do when China cuts us off? Does anyone not realize what this is going to do to inflation??? People think credit is tight now, wait till that happens.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

perhaps they were thinking along the lines of "if you build it, they will come..."
    LOL, I was typing the same thing!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,791 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

Kind of ironic that of all the places they could have housed the guys, it happens to be from Obama's home state.

Now just using common sense since most of these guys are middle eastern, wouldn't it have been better to put them in maybe Wyoming, Montana or Utah? In the event of a breakout it probably would be easier to spot these people amongst the snowflakes of those states. They would find it harder to enter into a populated area as well. Put them in Illinois and within 30 minutes, they can blend right in with the general population.

Also in the event that somebody tries to rescue them with force, there is a lesser chance of innocents being killed due to the lower civilian population if collateral damage occurs.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    BA DA BING
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Kind of ironic that of all the places they could have housed the guys, it happens to be from Obama's home state.

Now just using common sense since most of these guys are middle eastern, wouldn't it have been better to put them in maybe Wyoming, Montana or Utah? In the event of a breakout it probably would be easier to spot these people amongst the snowflakes of those states. They would find it harder to enter into a populated area as well. Put them in Illinois and within 30 minutes, they can blend right in with the general population.

Also in the event that somebody tries to rescue them with force, there is a lesser chance of innocents being killed due to the lower civilian population if collateral damage occurs.
    What is wrong with you!! You're, like, using your brain and everything.....I hate when that happens!

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Federal prisons. The conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day with this one.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

where exactly does one "order" a prison from? Amazon? EBay?

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

It was one, of many, Blago's fuck up's. They built it, in order to "de-stress" the other two Max prisons. The one thing he foirgto to do was include an operation budget. So, they built it, but it never opened. They just started putting prisoners in there to help maintain it.

Thompson is in the middle of nowhere. They'd be easy to recognize if there was ever an escape attempt.

See above. It was a state of Illinois thing, not a federal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoBandit View Post
    I'm hesitant to have these people so close to a major city (Chicago), but I am glad that is nearly 4,000 jobs for Illinois. We need it.
    It'd take them a while to get to Chicago. Pretty much all two lane roads. They'd stand out in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

Again, see above. Thompson is in the middle of nowhere. As for it being in Illinois. Big whoop. It just happened to be there. It's still brand new, even though it's 8 years old. It's never been used, until just recently. Irregardless where it is. IT's going to create nearly 4,000 new jobs. It;s going to stimulate the economy in that area immensely.

And any escape plan would have to executed flawlessly. And with all the extra security measures they're going to add, to an already MaxSec style prison, you'd be hard pressed to stage a breakout.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Federal prisons. The conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day with this one.
    It was originally to be a state prison. The feds are buying it from the state. And see above. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    where exactly does one "order" a prison from? Amazon? EBay?
    The State of Illinois "Blago's Huge Fuck-up" yard sale.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE