Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Who has a EVH Frankenstein Humbucker available?

OK..like the title said, Who has a EVH Frankenstein Humbucker available?...i wanna try one in my next build.

Thanks

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Last edited by jimi11580; 12.13.09 at 03:27 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

I purchased the "relic" version from SamAsh.com. It is an amazing sounding pickup. I orginially had a SD 59 in my Frankie, which I loved the warm sound...now it has the same warmth, however with more "bite". In my opinion, it's a amazing piece of equipment.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dont waste your money.
    Slip me a call.
    I'll do ya better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Dont waste your money.
    Slip me a call.
    I'll do ya better.
    Custom hand wound i can get..got one of the best builder in Toronto..just wanted THAT one to compare and see what all the fuss was about..

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.14.10 @ 04:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

isnt the Duncan Custom Custom suppose to be a knockoff of the Frankie Pup?

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Plstrcast View Post
    isnt the Duncan Custom Custom suppose to be a knockoff of the Frankie Pup?
    No. The Custom Custom (sh-11) is supposedly (and I emphasize supposedly) based on the p/u that was made by Seymour, in collaboration with Ed, for the "5150".

Seymour had apparently wanted to market it as an EVH model at the time, but Ed refused to give his permission.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 12.14.09 at 10:36 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, Jimi is right. SUPPOSEDLY is the key word. A year ago it seemed to me from all my research that the Custom Custom was in fact the Kramer 5150 pickup.... BUT from recent findings, none of which are completely undisputed facts I might add, I don't think it is the Kramer 5150 pickup at all. I bought one to put in a Kramer-like guitar, and it doesn't have that smooth balanced sound at all. My guitar even has a rosewood fingerboard, but the Custom Custom is much more bitey, kinda like VH1 tone. I wonder if the Custom Custom is really supposed to be a replica of whatever Seymour was making Ed for the 82-83 Frankie, or maybe what might have been tried in the bumblebee... I know Ed didn't like the sound of it much....

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:25 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Custom hand wound i can get..got one of the best builder in Toronto..just wanted THAT one to compare and see what all the fuss was about..
    I Don't know if this is a good comparison or not but the SD78 and the EVH humbucker perform similarly - clean-up nice with mild-distortion cranked.

The EVH Humbucker seems to have a "growl" throughout it's tonal range. The pickups are definitely different but very similar!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    ... or maybe what might have been tried in the bumblebee... I know Ed didn't like the sound of it much....
    The BumbleBee was one of the coolest looking guitars Ed ever played IMO, but you're right mrjstudios ... I also heard that he didn't care for the sound/tone of that guitar at all.

Pickups are easy enough to swap out, and I believe Ed swapped out quite a few in the BumbleBee. He even went as far as to install a "hidden" tone control that was concealed in the rear control cavity, IIRC.

I'm thinking it probably had more to do with the wood and/or construction.
    Just my guess.

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

I agree, the Custom Custom is a very "bright" pickup. I had it in a 5150 style guitar and didn't like the sound. I do have to say the new EVH pickup "ROCKS OUT WITH MY B&** OUT"

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cpusolutions2001 View Post
    I agree, the Custom Custom is a very "bright" pickup. I had it in a 5150 style guitar and didn't like the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I don't think it is the Kramer 5150 pickup at all. I bought one to put in a Kramer-like guitar, and it doesn't have that smooth balanced sound at all
    When you guys refer to a "5150 style guitar" and "Kramer-like guitar" what exactly do you mean? What kind of wood were these mystery guitars?

The Seymour Duncan site says that the CC is for "use in bright guitars" and that it "works especially well with maple and ebony fingerboards". In my experience with the Custom Custom (I own two), I have always found them to be warm and smooth (entirely consistent with any pick up equipped with an A2 magnet) never "bitey" or bright". For me, it sounds especially good in an ash body with a maple/maple neck, but it's also worked well for me in alder and poplar with maple/maple necks.
    WGAF?!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    The Seymour Duncan site says that the CC is for "use in bright guitars" and that it "works especially well with maple and ebony fingerboards". In my experience with the Custom Custom (I own two), I have always found them to be warm and smooth (entirely consistent with any pick up equipped with an A2 magnet) never "bitey" or bright". For me, it sounds especially good in an ash body with a maple/maple neck, but it's also worked well for me in alder and poplar with maple/maple necks.
    What about basswood, Jimi? I've been tempted to try the Custom Custom in a basswood guitar.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    When you guys refer to a "5150 style guitar" and "Kramer-like guitar" what exactly do you mean? What kind of wood were these mystery guitars?

I have my CC in a basswood guitar which is nearly the identical shape of the 5150, and has a spray paint finish. I even have a rosewood fingerboard neck on that guitar and the CC is very bright and bitey. I like the feel of it, but it is very trebly. I can't imagine what it would sound like with a maple neck.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    What about basswood, Jimi? I've been tempted to try the Custom Custom in a basswood guitar.
    I dunno, I never tried it out in a basswood body. Give it a whirl, AT.
    WGAF?!!