Register
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

When You Smell Gas, Don't Mess Around!!!

Holy Cr@p!!!

Homeowners recovering, son feared dead in West Knoxville blast
    Firefighter says gas appears to be cause
    Posted December 9, 2009

Stephen Krzeski awoke shortly after 3 a.m. Wednesday to the smell of natural gas, an odor that could have been coming from a gas fireplace that had been leaking for weeks.

A food-company executive with a wife, two children and a million-dollar home in a West Knox County subdivision, Krzeski got up to investigate.

Then the world around him blew apart.

He grabbed his wife as she flew past. They landed in the backyard amid debris from the house. They suffered broken bones but still breathed the damp December air.

Flames consumed what was left of their house.

Authorities say it was an apparent gas explosion that tore open the two-story house at 9140 Grey Pointe Drive in the Whittington Creek subdivision at 3:13 a.m. The blast damaged nearby houses and shook neighbors awake. Windows and nerves were shattered.

The Krzeskis were taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center. Their son, 18-year-old Nicholas “Nick” Krzeski, couldn’t be found. Rescue workers found a body, as yet unidentified, beneath the charred rubble.

Brenda Stephenson, a next-door neighbor who relayed the Krzeskis’ account of the explosion after visiting them at the hospital, said Sue Krzeski sustained a broken pelvis and a broken vertebra from the blast. She was listed in stable condition.

Stephenson said Stephen Krzeski sustained nine broken ribs and is listed in serious condition.

According to Stephenson, the Krzeskis told her their 20-year-old daughter, Shannon, and a friend were supposed to have spent the night but opted at the last minute to return to their University of Tennessee dormitory.

The blast rocked the subdivision — it blew out four windows in Joe Bryant’s house on Hailes Abbey, flung open cabinet doors at Jean Farina’s house 200 yards away, hurled the Krzeskis’ front door across the street into Larry Elmore’s garage door and seemed to lift the Stephensons’ house off its foundation.

Neighbors rushing to the scene saw flames leaping 40 feet in the air.

Stephen Krzeski told the Stephensons that he clutched his wife as she flew past in the instant after the explosion. He’s a big man, somewhere around 6-foot-8, and told his neighbors he thought he hurt her because he grabbed her so tightly.

“He said he was on her like hash browns on waffles at the Waffle House,” Brenda Stephenson said.

Awakened by the noise and concussion, the Stephensons grabbed their 20-month-old granddaughter, who spent the night with them, and their 13-year-old daughter and headed out the front door.

“It didn’t burn to the ground — it blew up, and what was blown up burned,” Steve Stephenson said.

Brenda Stephenson thought her neighbors were dead, saying, “When I walked outside, I didn’t think there was a ray of hope they lived through that.”

The Krzeskis’ two dogs also were caught in the blast. A Great Dane named Genius apparently was thrown from the house and was taken to the UT College of Veterinary Medicine, where spokeswoman Sandra Harbison said she was in critical condition. A Samoyed mix named Barkely died.

Morning illuminated the devastation. Where the Krzeskis’ house once stood was little more than a pile of brick and charred wood, the epicenter of a debris field that extended about 60 yards in all directions.

Rescue workers, including Rural/Metro firefighters and members of the Knoxville Volunteer Emergency Rescue Squad, began looking for Nick Krzeski. His parents told the Stephensons he had been asleep in the basement.

They picked through the still-smoking rubble by hand and with a backhoe. A box spring poked up from the mess, its fabric cover burned away. Two burned-out cars remained parked where the garage had been. Eight search-and-rescue dogs were brought to the scene.

The search was delayed at times when workers encountered hot spots. They spotted a body deep in the debris about 1 p.m. Authorities believe they found Nick Krzeski, though Rural/Metro Battalion Chief Jeff Devlin said positive identification is pending.

Rescue workers continued removing rubble and several hours later extracted the body. Rural/Metro spokesman Larry Wilder said the body was taken to the UT Forensic Anthropology Center to be identified. Arson investigators will return this morning.

Rural/Metro Fire Capt. Brian Chesney said the explosion apparently was caused by natural gas, though the cause is still under investigation.

The neighborhood was not evacuated, but at least three other houses sustained damage. Gas lines to the subdivision were cut off, affecting about 50 residents, according to KUB spokeswoman Grace Whiteside.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

that's scary - haven't heard of a gas explosion at a residence like that in years. Part of that might be I don't think it's used as much down here. Do they have any type of gas detectors you can buy? That would be the only way I could live in a house with gas, I think, as my sense of smell isn't very sharp.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    that's scary - haven't heard of a gas explosion at a residence like that in years. Part of that might be I don't think it's used as much down here. Do they have any type of gas detectors you can buy? That would be the only way I could live in a house with gas, I think, as my sense of smell isn't very sharp.
    Don't know about detectors for it, but if I remember right natural gas is an odorless gas in its normal state. The scent is added to it so that you're able to smell it...hopefully before it's too late!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Damn.......
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

05.27.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gas explosions are more common than most people think. We usually have a couple up here in the Northeast every year or so. If you smell gas, GET OUT IMMEDIATELY! Do not turn on a light, light a match, flick a lighter, operate a cell phone, etc.... Any slight flash of spark will blow the entire building to smithereens.

I've lived in my house for 15 years and Natural Gas is used to operate my kitchen stove, hot water heater, and furnace. We've never had a problem at all.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

oh man!!!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How sad they lost their son. Fuck!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

their fireplace had leaked for weeks?

man, you can't fool around with that! what a shame, that was a big ass house and it was reduced to confetti in a moment.

that poor kid

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

WOW!!! That's an "impressive" blast sight.

Totally speechless.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH Wahoo View Post
    Don't know about detectors for it, but if I remember right natural gas is an odorless gas in its normal state. The scent is added to it so that you're able to smell it...hopefully before it's too late!
    You are correct. Natural gas is odorless and colorless. They add mercaptan usually at the distribution centers on the pipeline. Mercaptan smells like rotten eggs because of the sulfur dioxide in it.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

as nice as it is to have a gas stove, I have little interest in having gas in my house for just this simple fact.

I don't want to have to worry about shit like this. I don't even want to think about being gone for the day, a gas leak springing and then coming home to rubble and dead pets.

I'll stick with electricity...hell, nowadays, there's not even that much difference in price.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah same here. Propane and natural gas scare the heck out of me.

That poor family.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

On Fire
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 148 Times in 94 Posts

There are detectors that you can buy I do believe. LP is a little less stable and more dangerous than natural due to the fact that it pools around the ground rather than float in the air. If you are worried about such a thing, they do make LP detectors that hook to an exhaust fan which turns on when it is detected (but as said, ALWAYS LEAVE THE HOUSE AND DO NOT TURN ANYTHING ON OR USE THE PHONE!). Another good idea is a CO detector which can come as a smoke detector/co detector combo. A few extra bucks, but beats waking up dead I guess.