Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Default Mike and VH in MOJO Jan 2010 issue

I don't think this has been discussed here yet, but there's a new Michael Anthony interview in MOJO magazine from the UK:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2585008...35383/sizes/l/

it's not about Chickenfoot, only about VH
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Well, that's a good compare and contrast isn't it?

The rise was just as huge as the fall.

I liked the rise a helluva lot more. Thems wuz the good timez.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

cool read but that red ball in the middle of the page killed my eyes!!!!!!!

jb
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Thx for posting. Well he confirms what a lot of us have been saying. Right or wrong his friendship and musical collaborations with Sam outside of VH was Mike's undoing.

Was Mike wrong to be friends with Sam and play some VH with him while VH was dysfunctional. unreasonable and doing nothing?

No and yes imo.

No because Mike is a good guy, was a tremendous soldier for the band all those years, a important piece of the puzzle/their sound and he did nothing to hurt their image, legacy or rep...besides maybe doing the vagina sign with Sam. lol He deserved to be able to do a side thing. In a normal situation with normal people that should have been ok and if they had problems with something they could have talked about it...not stewed on it and dropped him in spite later. MA is a VERY capable bass player and singer. There are a lot of things we could have done but likely nothing as comfortable, recognizable, and maybe even high enough profile as playing with Sam and playing some VH music.

But I also say Yes..Mike was wrong because...it's not a normal situation with the VH bros and the band. He was wrong if he wanted to stay in the good graces of VH and if on a wing and a prayer they did something again someday he would still be a part of it. He had to have some feeling that his friendship and all that with Sam(or anyone on their shit list) might not go over well with VH inc but I think by that point Mike just wanted to do something and be happy. He didn't want to wait around and walk on eggshells and be the Sweat Bros bitch/yes man and maybe never really work his craft as he wanted to...So you CAN'T blame the guy but if he really wanted to keep in line with the bros...he could have passed on playing out with Sam, passed on playing VH with Sam and found other people to go out with and do something unique which was not VH related/conflicted @ all.

It's all been said to death I know. Sorry. lol
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 12.10.09 at 02:05 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Perhaps it is old news, but I didn't know the record wanted VH to change their name after Dave left. That sounds strange to me. The opposite seems more likely. I mean, a record company wants a name that big, they don't give a shit who is singing as long as they can milk a name. VH was a brand, a logo, an icon and a name. Why in the world would they want them to change the name strictly from a business standpoint (which is what we're talking about). That doesn't sound right to me.
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

I am writing this with a qualifier: kicking Mike out because he played with Sam was a convenient excuse for Ed who had been looking to get rid of him for twenty plus years and was a dick move, in both detail and execution.

If Mike had wanted to stay in VH he should have politely said no to Sam. He had known Ed for almost thirty years at that point, he should probably have had a good barometer of what would piss Ed and Al off and what wouldn't.

He could have done a solo gig, or heaven forbid maybe write some songs and record them himself, do session work, etc. There are plenty of options for a musician of his pedigree besides Sam.

I think it over simplifies it when people say poor Mike, what is he supposed to do, sit and wait for ten years for Ed to work things out? He had plenty of other options besides Sam.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am writing this with a qualifier: kicking Mike out because he played with Sam was a convenient excuse for Ed who had been looking to get rid of him for twenty plus years and was a dick move, in both detail and execution.

If Mike had wanted to stay in VH he should have politely said no to Sam. He had known Ed for almost thirty years at that point, he should probably have had a good barometer of what would piss Ed and Al off and what wouldn't.

He could have done a solo gig, or heaven forbid maybe write some songs and record them himself, do session work, etc. There are plenty of options for a musician of his pedigree besides Sam.

I think it over simplifies it when people say poor Mike, what is he supposed to do, sit and wait for ten years for Ed to work things out? He had plenty of other options besides Sam.
    I don't think this is relevant. The guy should do what he wants to do. This is America dammit! Sure, there are infinite possibilities of what MA could have done during that time, but he wanted to go play with his pal. So what?

So, I guess VH had a big problem with that. I think that's okay also if they didn't want MA playing with Sammy. But unless they called MA up and said "don't do that", or unless MA was contractually obligated not to do so (which I've neither heard MA or VH say that either was the case) then I think it was safe for MA to assume that he was okay to do whatever the hell he wanted during their downtime.
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Thx for posting. Well he confirms what a lot of us have been saying. Right or wrong his friendship and musical collaborations with Sam outside of VH was Mike's undoing.

Was Mike wrong to be friends with Sam and play some VH with him while VH was dysfunctional. unreasonable and doing nothing?

No and yes imo.

No because Mike is a good guy, was a tremendous soldier for the band all those years, a important piece of the puzzle/their sound and he did nothing to hurt their image, legacy or rep...besides maybe doing the vagina sign with Sam. lol He deserved to be able to do a side thing. In a normal situation with normal people that should have been ok and if they had problems with something they could have talked about it...not stewed on it and dropped him in spite later. MA is a VERY capable bass player and singer. There are a lot of things we could have done but likely nothing as comfortable, recognizable, and maybe even high enough profile as playing with Sam and playing some VH music.

But I also say Yes..Mike was wrong because...it's not a normal situation with the VH bros and the band. He was wrong if he wanted to stay in the good graces of VH and if on a wing and a prayer they did something again someday he would still be a part of it. He had to have some feeling that his friendship and all that with Sam(or anyone on their shit list) might not go over well with VH inc but I think by that point Mike just wanted to do something and be happy. He didn't want to wait around and walk on eggshells and be the Sweat Bros bitch/yes man and maybe never really work his craft as he wanted to...So you CAN'T blame the guy but if he really wanted to keep in line with the bros...he could have passed on playing out with Sam, passed on playing VH with Sam and found other people to go out with and do something unique which was not VH related/conflicted @ all.

It's all been said to death I know. Sorry. lol
    That's the way I feel too. I know of course that Sam and Mike are part of the creation of the tunes they played as The Other Half, but with Mike going along with Sam, in Ed's mind he saw it as a further stick in the eye, by supporting someone he no longer got along with. It's petty ego shit, but that's what's plagued this band since Fair Warning. Ironically enough another one of Eddies' them against me scenarios; at that time it was Dave and Mike.

Sammy said it best. "Everyone else grew up and matured. Eddie didn't. He still acts like the boy threatening to take his ball home if he doesn't get his way."

Totally agree.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

how 'bout that ending "if they hold a grudge, they'll hold it forever".....
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Mike may be a class act but he needs to get over this. He had a part in getting booted. I know what my boss expects of me after working for him for a while and I know what not to do, Mike needs to stop this woe is me bullshit. I totally could se why Ed got pissed, he chose sides in his mind. You figure Mike would've been more loyal to the bros after 30 years. BUT he did get the last laugh, look at him now happy and productive.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

The only thing Mike had to do considering Ed was going through Hell at that time in his life (cancer, divorce, alcohol, hip,vh3 faliure,etc) was go talk to him (or Alex) about going on tour with Sam, if Ed or Al would say go, or don't go, then Mike would had decided knowing his future in Van Halen.
    Communication People!
    Mike forgot about that simple thing.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Fuck you, Eddie.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

My guess is Mike felt like he had nothing to lose. He was already feeling the heat in '04 and likely figured it was just a matter of time. Good points made
    here, but does anyone think things would be markedly different now if Mike had stuck it out?

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:17 AM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Mike often says that he was pushed against a wall by Ed. It sounds like that he was given a choice between VH and playing with Sam. And he chose Sam thinking that VH was done. I would really love for him to really clarify this one day.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian View Post
    how 'bout that ending "if they hold a grudge, they'll hold it forever".....
    Not entirely true. If it makes them money. Dave and Sammy have both come back...