Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Recruiting service backs down on tattoos

The Air Force Recruiting Service rescinded a short-lived tattoo policy Thursday, after turning away 26 recruits from basic training.

A message sent Nov. 25 to recruiting personnel made several alterations to Recruiting Service procedure, but the one causing trouble was a ban on tattoos on a recruit’s right “saluting arm.”

Official Air Force policy bans only tattoos that are obscene or do not fit a “military image,” that cover more than one-fourth of a body part, or are above the collarbone. The Recruiting Service policy would have turned away recruits who complied fully with Air Force regulations.

The tougher tattoo rule for recruits, approved by Recruiting Service commander Brig. Gen. A.J. Stewart, followed an investigation of trainees that found more than 80 who didn’t comply with the Air Force tattoo policy, said spokeswoman Christa D’Andrea.

“The issue of not having tattoos on the right arm is one of military image,” D’Andrea said. “If [recruits] enter BMT with no tattoos on their right arm, they ensure they’re starting their career with an understanding of what military image means.”

Air Force spokeswoman Maj. Richelle Dowdell said commanders are allowed to implement policies more stringent than the official Air Force policy.

Nobody was affected by the new tattoo policy until Tuesday. New recruits are shipped every Tuesday to basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, and recruits around the country — out of the 500 to 600 who ship out per week — who expected to start training that day were turned away, D’Andrea said. As news reports began to surface of the recruits’ stories, the Recruiting Service quickly instituted a 30-day “grace period” for recruits who had already been approved, and moved to reschedule ship dates.

Kayla Bresnan of western Pennsylvania was sworn in for the Air Force’s delayed entry program in April. But she was told Tuesday that she couldn’t go to Lackland because of a tattoo of a theatrical mask on her right forearm. Before the Air Force rescinded the tattoo rule, Bresnan learned she would be grandfathered in under the old policy. She expects to leave for basic training on Dec. 15.

Air Force recruits around the country were dismayed by the policy change.

Matthew Rieger, a 23-year-old Seattle resident who was hoping to enter officer school in June, has a tattoo of a nautical star on the inside of his right forearm.

He called his recruiter Tuesday and heard a deep sigh on the other end of the phone when he asked about the ink’s implications.

“He said he lost a lot of guys, and there’s a lot of pushback,” Rieger said. He called the Recruiting Service’s policy “inconsistent and annoying.”

An Air Force Reserve recruiter, who asked to remain anonymous to protect his career, told Air Force Times the change has had “a big effect” and he wished recruiters had at least been given more advance notice.

“We’re having to go through all the people we’ve already put into the [Delayed Entry] program,” the recruiter said. “It sucks … and it’s kind of heartbreaking for some of these kids too.”

Raymond Dawicki, 21, of Meriden, Conn., has his first name tattooed on the inside of his right arm, from elbow to wrist. He signed up for the Air Force two months ago, passed the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, and was ready to go in for processing the week after the policy change was announced.

“I talked to my recruiter last Saturday and he said I was disqualified,” Dawicki said Wednesday. “When he told me I was kind of shocked at first. I didn’t really know what to say.”

Dawicki was considering looking at the other services, but said, “I don’t want to go into another branch, I want to go into the Air Force.”

Removing the tattoo would be too expensive, he said. “I’m just hoping they change [the policy],” Dawicki said. “I don’t understand it really at all.”

After the outcry from recruits and recruiters, Air Force officials held an emergency meeting Wednesday night at the Pentagon to review the situation. On Thursday, officials announced that the Nov. 25 message had been rescinded and that “several agencies will conduct a review of the dress and personnel appearance [regulations] to standardize implementation of policy.”

D’Andrea said the decision “came from the Air Force level” but declined to elaborate on who else attended Wednesday’s meeting.

There should be no further impact on Air Force recruits, she said. Of the 26 who were turned away from basic training Tuesday, 20 had already been rebooked for shipping, but three had decided that the Air Force wasn’t for them after all.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Air Force: Woman may serve despite tattoo

http://kdka.com/local/Air.Force.tattoo.2.1344180.html

IRWIN, Pa. — The Air Force says a western Pennsylvania woman will be allowed to take basic training despite a tattoo that conflicts with a new regulation.

Nineteen-year-old Kayla Bresnan, of Penn Township, was sworn in for the Air Force's delayed entry program in April. Her tattoo of a theatrical mask on her right forearm wasn't a problem then.

But a new Air Force regulation went into effect Nov. 25 banning tattoos below the elbow on the "saluting" arm because they aren't covered by a uniform sleeve. So Bresnan was told her induction was in limbo until her case could be reviewed.

Lt. Col. Wendy Birch of the 311th Recruiting Squadron in Canonsburg said Wednesday evening that Bresnan will be grandfathered in and can leave for basic training on Dec. 15.

Bresnan says she plans to have the tattoo removed when she's on leave, just in case.
    Last edited by voivod; 12.08.09 at 08:28 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

^^^she's cute.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

be cuter without that mess on her arm!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    be cuter without that mess on her arm!
    not into tats billy? or just not into tats on chicks?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

not at all, especially on chicks! But I would vociferously fight to defend anyone's right to turn themselves into human Silly Putty - I just wouldn't date them!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    not at all, especially on chicks! But I would vociferously fight to defend anyone's right to turn themselves into human Silly Putty - I just wouldn't date them!
    right on. For me, the right tat on the right chick can be wildly hot...off the charts hot however, it's so very rare that such a perfect storm occurs.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    right on. For me, the right tat on the right chick can be wildly hot...off the charts hot however, it's so very rare that such a perfect storm occurs.
    Usually on of the first signs that it ain't happening is that the tat is of the "tribal" variety.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Usually on of the first signs that it ain't happening is that the tat is of the "tribal" variety.
    those would be the wrong tats on the wrong girls! blech.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.