Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Effects Processor--Boss ME 70 vs. Vox Tonelab LE

I am going to get either a Boss ME-70 or a Vox Tonelab LE...does anyone have experience with either? I like how I can use it with my tube amp for effects and bypass the modeling preamp on the unit. During quiet time you can plug in phones using a variety of amp and cab models by engaging the modeling. Thanks as always for opinions.
    Last edited by vanhammersly; 12.07.09 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FWIW, I REALY like the Tonelab line of processors.

Kent Carlevi uses one, and he sounds fantastic using it by itself. A while ago when he was setting up a bigger rig to use (which included a 5150 combo and an attenuator all set up in a Wet / Dry / Wet rig), I sent some sound samples back and forth with him to compare, since I had a 5150 Combo at the time. His sound samples sounded amazing with the 5150 creating the tone and the Tonelab creating only the detune and delay effects.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I've got a Tonelab LE and I really like it a lot. It sounds like a tube amp and feels like one too. I only use it around the house for low volume playing, I haven't jammed with it at high volumes so I don't know how it holds up to that type of use. It's amp modelling is miles better than any Pod xt or x3 I've had. The effects are good, but not great. The delays are nice, good reverb, and I like the univibe, wah is pretty good, but the amp models are really very strong. I use the Soldano model for the my high gain stuff and a few different Fenders for some clean stuff. You can also insert stomp boxes or pedals from your own board through the effects loop. I run mine through a SS power amp and into my 4x12. I'm very happy with it but it does take some tweaking to get it sounding good because of the routing options and eq possibilities. The LE software is a breeze to use too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd totally give the nod to the Tonelab. Korg (Vox's parent company) is so far ahead in the modelling world IMO. Like it was mentioned, the more intricate effect's are not as good as a stand alone unit, but not terrible, and with tweaking can sound decent and are useable, but the reverb is quite good, as is the delay. The real selling point though is Vox's amp modelling. It's simply outstanding, plus their use of the 12ax7 tube only adds to the sound as you crank it. I'm not knocking the Boss stuff, but I did quite a bit of side by side comparisons, and to my ear, the Vox wins every time.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't have either but a question....Are the 2 units true bypass using effects and NO amp/cab? I got a GNX3 but when I use it for effects only its "amp/cab" is not true bypass. it actually colours the tone.....There's no true "shut the whole amp/cab" off setting
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian View Post
    I don't have either but a question....Are the 2 units true bypass using effects and NO amp/cab? I got a GNX3 but when I use it for effects only its "amp/cab" is not true bypass. it actually colours the tone.....There's no true "shut the whole amp/cab" off setting
    I'm not sure about the Boss, and I could'nt say for if the Vox is considered "true bypass" but I can tell you that switching on or off, there is no or at least very very little affect to volume on an amp. Compare that to Zoom (which I find are superior in the effects end), but those things are very unbalanced switching on or off.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I'm not sure about the Boss, and I could'nt say for if the Vox is considered "true bypass" but I can tell you that switching on or off, there is no or at least very very little affect to volume on an amp. Compare that to Zoom (which I find are superior in the effects end), but those things are very unbalanced switching on or off.
    [/I]

I think if that's how you want to use the Tonelab there are probably better units out there for that specific application. The Tonelab has good to ok effects, nothing stellar and nothing horrible. If you want just effects alone to run in the loop of your current amp, then something like a G major or the line 6 m9/13 units will give you much better flexibility and sound quality. The strength of the Tonelab is in the amp modeling and getting a genuine tube amp feel and tone.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    [/I]

I think if that's how you want to use the Tonelab there are probably better units out there for that specific application. The Tonelab has good to ok effects, nothing stellar and nothing horrible. If you want just effects alone to run in the loop of your current amp, then something like a G major or the line 6 m9/13 units will give you much better flexibility and sound quality. The strength of the Tonelab is in the amp modeling and getting a genuine tube amp feel and tone.
    Yeah. That's what I was saying. I don't use these units for their effects; only the amp modelling. When I got the Zoom, I thought it was better than the Pod for realism....at the time. Then the Vox stuff came out and IMHO, they blew Zoom and line 6 out of the water, again at the time. I'm with you and I stated earlier basically the same thing about the effects on these units. They are OK, but nothing spectacular. I only use the reverbs and delays anyway, as I already have Harmonizers, phase 90's and flangers, so who cares what's on board. I have run my Vox unit directly into the board at small gigs, and their incredible for that.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Yeah. That's what I was saying. I don't use these units for their effects; only the amp modelling. When I got the Zoom, I thought it was better than the Pod for realism....at the time. Then the Vox stuff came out and IMHO, they blew Zoom and line 6 out of the water, again at the time. I'm with you and I stated earlier basically the same thing about the effects on these units. They are OK, but nothing spectacular. I only use the reverbs and delays anyway, as I already have Harmonizers, phase 90's and flangers, so who cares what's on board. I have run my Vox unit directly into the board at small gigs, and their incredible for that.
    Yeah I tend to do the same. I only really use delay and verb in the loop. Out front I have a flanger, phase and wah. I really don't use much more than that. The Tonelab is perfect for me because of that. If I was a real effects junkie I'd look elsewhere.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Get a TC Nova System.

I tried the ME70 and it doesn't hold a candle to the Nova System.

The Nova System has analog overdrive/distortion. The ME70 sounds very digital.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I have a Tonelab LE and I highly recommend it. It will never replace my Rivera though.