Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default WHO SAYS THE '00'S SUCKED???

Well, I did for starters! It's a sequel to the ever-popular WHO SAYS THE '90'S SUCKED??? thread! Some people might say that the '00s actually end next December, but even if that is the case, do you really see things getting much better by then?!? Will rap finally die and all the recording studios throw out their ProTools and learn how to record, engineer, produce and master a record again? Will a musician return to being defined as someone that can play an instrument and not someone who can spin a turntable with somebody else's hit on it? Will singers start to sing again, and not scream, growl or rap their way through the lyrics?

I'm not talking about just rock music, either. "Urban" music continued to be buried under the weight of rap garbage, pop music became a contest on TV, and country was hit-and-miss with guys like Strait and Jackson trying to keep the genre strong but with too much dreck still seeping in under the door.

As for rock, I bought exactly 17 albums that were released in 2000 or later that contained all-new material. Some good stuff, and I'm sure there's some that I missed, but still a definite slump from other decades. A couple of decent U2 albums (though nothing that's going to displace The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby) and another that I still haven't bought into yet; a couple of good releases from AC/DC; a new Seger album for the first time in years, an Aerosmith album that enables me to not be disappointed should they never make another one; a return to form for Billy Idol; a long-awaited return from the Eagles that could've used a little more oomph; a couple of steady sets from Cheap Trick (don't have their latest, yet); a covers album from Def Leppard that was better than I'd expected (maybe I should break down and buy Aerosmith's covers album!) and a few others.

So is it just me, did music continue to spiral downward from the '90s, or was the '00s a decade where there was better music, you just had to know where to find it?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

My favorite album of the decade was Libertad by Velvet Revolver. What a tremendous album that is!

We saw:

Out of Exile and Audioslave by Audioslace
    In Your Honor and Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace by Foo Fighters
    Snakes & Arrows by Rush
    Crush and The Circle by Bon Jovi
    All That You Can't Leave Behind, Atomic Bomb, and No Line by U2 (I liked them all)
    Black Ice by AC/DC
    Saudades de Rock by Extreme
    Chickenfoot by...Chickenfoot!
    Youth by Collective Soul
    Train of Thought by Dream Theater
    American Idiot by Green Day (which IMO shaped my entire generation, and is pretty damn good)
    Stadium Arcadium by Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Revelation and Arrival by Journey
    Hot Fuss by The Killers
    We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse
    Full Circle by Creed
    Not 4 Sale by Sammy Hagar
    The Heroin Diaries by Sixx A.M.

We also saw the debut's of great new bands like Brides of Destruction, Kings of Leon, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Alter Bridge, and Wolfmother, whose entire back catalogs to me remain consistently solid, because of their apparent hunger and ferocity.

The above are some of my favorite albums of the decade, in no order except, obviously, Libertad.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 80's set the standard way too high. No decade will ever match it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    I think the '70s do. From an artistic perspective.

I'm a prog fan, and I'm of the belief that some of "rock" music's greatest works of art came in the '70s. Hell, we got "Supper's Ready" by Genesis and "Cygnus X-1 Books I and II" by Rush, and that alone to me propels the '70s over anything else. So much creativity flowing all over the place.

But that's just one guy's opinion. To each his own, I say
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    If we are allowed to cross decade lines, I would say that 78,79, 80, 81 and 82 is the best five year period for me personally.

There are just an absolute shitload of classic releases during that period.

The great bands from the 70's were still putting out great material and many of your most popular 80's acts were putting out their best material in this period.

Awesome stuff.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    If we are allowed to cross decade lines, I would say that 78,79, 80, 81 and 82 is the best five year period for me personally.
    1981 was maybe the best year for rock music...possibly ever. SO many good releases. It was an unreal time period, that I wasn't alive for

I don't know, I cast the '80s under the '70s and '90s for me. I saw the '80s as a period that started off damn well with bands capitalizing on new sounds and mastering them into excellent musical works. The beginning of the '80s was magnificent, but I find the end of the '80s to be absolutely brutal. So many hack hair bands totally ruin the period for me.

I already explained why the '70s rank so highly for me, but the '90s will always rank high because that's what I grew up to from a very young age. I'll always have a soft spot for the '90s alternative, grunge, and punk scene. Not to mention other bands, like personal favorites Rush and Bon Jovi, were given chances to experiment, giving new products to an already loyal audience that never thought they'd hear that kind of music from such a band.

As I said, to each his own. I have erratic music taste anyway

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Well, I did for starters! It's a sequel to the ever-popular WHO SAYS THE '90'S SUCKED??? thread! Some people might say that the '00s actually end next December, but even if that is the case, do you really see things getting much better by then?!? Will rap finally die and all the recording studios throw out their ProTools and learn how to record, engineer, produce and master a record again? Will a musician return to being defined as someone that can play an instrument and not someone who can spin a turntable with somebody else's hit on it? Will singers start to sing again, and not scream, growl or rap their way through the lyrics?

I'm not talking about just rock music, either. "Urban" music continued to be buried under the weight of rap garbage, pop music became a contest on TV, and country was hit-and-miss with guys like Strait and Jackson trying to keep the genre strong but with too much dreck still seeping in under the door.

As for rock, I bought exactly 17 albums that were released in 2000 or later that contained all-new material. Some good stuff, and I'm sure there's some that I missed, but still a definite slump from other decades. A couple of decent U2 albums (though nothing that's going to displace The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby) and another that I still haven't bought into yet; a couple of good releases from AC/DC; a new Seger album for the first time in years, an Aerosmith album that enables me to not be disappointed should they never make another one; a return to form for Billy Idol; a long-awaited return from the Eagles that could've used a little more oomph; a couple of steady sets from Cheap Trick (don't have their latest, yet); a covers album from Def Leppard that was better than I'd expected (maybe I should break down and buy Aerosmith's covers album!) and a few others.

So is it just me, did music continue to spiral downward from the '90s, or was the '00s a decade where there was better music, you just had to know where to find it?

Aerosmith's Honkin on Bobo is definitely a MUST. Some GREAT tunes on that album.

It's interesting though. They have one song on the album that is ORIGINAL (written by Aerosmith) and you can IMMEDIATELY notice that it was written by the guys as opposed to it being just another cover even though they obviously try to make it sound as if it was on old school blues tune in the same vein as the covers.

Tracks to look out for: Back Back Train (sung by Perry), You Gotta Move, Baby Please Don't Go
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could always listen to '70s and '80's "classic" rock music and the same for country. From The Stones,Seger and AC/DC, to Waylon,Willie, Alabama, and even stuff like older Dolly Parton in country music.

Strait and Jackson are trying their hardest, but I think even THEY will be phased out by pop-country. It's pretty sad, i'm more of a country music person than I would normally admit, but just hearing a guitar,drums,fiddle even, and a singer is why I like it. There is no more of it. Anything by Waylon or Willie is the perfect example of what I can "enjoy" listening to.
    there's still a lot of that kind of music out there, but it's hard to find. Most have been alienated by Nashville and the labels because it's "too traditional" country music.
    To me, that's just idiotic. The artists like that get shit on because it's not "popular" now.

Even AC/DC's latest surprised me. Sure, the songwriting wasn't great, but it was a good rockin album. I'm just afraid there's not many more like that to come, at all.....by anyone.
    Screw Rascal Flatts, Taylor, Carie, and the like...
    To me, this will always be what real country music sounds like.
    Last edited by =VH=316; 12.07.09 at 04:03 PM.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 80's was the decade of hair bands and debachery. The 00's was the decade of jeans and t-shirts and boring music.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

What was truly lost in the '00's was the beauty of buying a whole album and knowing the whole album. Now it's pick and choose a handful of songs on iTunes and throw them on the iPod in any order you want. Do kids today even know an album track by track in the order the appear??

Is there any among us that doesn't know Led Zeppelin IV goes Black Dog, Rock N Roll, Battle Of Evermore, Stairway to Heaven....(flip record, flip cassette)......Misty Mountain Hop, Four Sticks, Going to California, When The Levee Breaks?

You get the point. Think of how many albums you can name like that by all kinds of bands. Shit like that is something that's lost now. You knew entire albums, good songs and bad. You sat through the shit songs to get to the good ones and thought nothing of it.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    What was truly lost in the '00's was the beauty of buying a whole album and knowing the whole album. Now it's pick and choose a handful of songs on iTunes and throw them on the iPod in any order you want. Do kids today even know an album track by track in the order the appear??

Is there any among us that doesn't know Led Zeppelin IV goes Black Dog, Rock N Roll, Battle Of Evermore, Stairway to Heaven....(flip record, flip cassette)......Misty Mountain Hop, Four Sticks, Going to California, When The Levee Breaks?

You get the point. Think of how many albums you can name like that by all kinds of bands. Shit like that is something that's lost now. You knew entire albums, good songs and bad. You sat through the shit songs to get to the good ones and thought nothing of it.
    It's like Moving Pictures and Signals by Rush. Getting to flip those over side by side is fantastic. As is their Hemispheres album. Get through the eighteen minute epic, and flip to three more wonderful songs.

Its a shame. I consider myself old fashioned in that sense, I like to feel my music and be able to admire it, not to mention I like the classic vibe some older albums and CDs give off.

I haven't conformed to the digital downloading thing. Deteriorates from the album's luster.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:49 PM
    Liked 16,556 Times in 9,387 Posts

IMO, there have been very few memorable albums in the 21st Century. Also, the 60's, 70's and 80's all had much better music than the 90's.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

I think that started to be lost in the CD era. I love CDs, but sometimes it's too much of a good thing. When groups were trying to bring their albums in at 40 to 45 minutes, there wasn't a lot of excess. If a group really felt strongly about their material, they'd put out a double album, otherwise, they'd give you 10 or 11 of the best of what they'd done, and if there was anything else, it'd go on a b-side of the single. With CDs, now bands are trying to fill 60, 70, even 80 minutes of time, and so now you're getting 15 or more songs, some of which would've never made the cut in the old days.

I do like the ability to pick and choose what songs to download, though. There are some artists I'm not sure I want to sit through a whole album, but I sure want that big hit single they had way-back-when. But with me, whether it's been on vinyl or CD, I've always been a mix of buying albums and singles - just now instead of paying $10 for a single that's only available as an import (if it's available at all) or waiting for it to be on a "Greatest Hits" package maybe with some other songs I like, I can just download it for a buck. And even if there is a "Greatest Hits" package, I don't think I own a "Greatest Hits" package that I consider perfect! There's always some song I like that doesn't make the cut.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    IMO, there have been very few memorable albums in the 21st Century. Also, the 60's, 70's and 80's all had much better music than the 90's.
    I guess it must be a generational thing as to why I'm so fond of the '90s and '00s. I think we've been treated to some good stuff these last couple decades, and I think the '80s was very weak from what it became, especially after all the promise it showed from the start.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

but even if you only take the '80s up to '86, '87 - there was enough classic stuff released through that time to blow the whole of the output of the '90s and '00s (perhaps combined!) out of the water. Forget the hairbands - that may have been where it all ended up, but they were just a drop in the bucket. 'Course, your opinion may vary depending on where your musicometer falls on pop-rock like Huey Lewis and the News or some of the better synth pop of the decade. But just look at the era from '80-'85 - Van Halen, some classics from AC/DC, the Police, the Cars, some of the better Rush albums, the better part of the Collins era of Genesis (as well as Collins' solo work), Eliminator, The Clash, INXS, early U2, Bryan Adams best stuff, a couple of Stones classics to bookend the decade, J. Geils Band at the height of their popularity, the Trevor Rabin era of Yes, Def Leppard's best work, Guns 'N Fuckin' Roses, Building The Perfect Beast, Billy Idol, Talking Heads, and many more...

not to mention M-TV actually showing videos of all that, and more