Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Saturday Night Live: Further Pussyfication of America

'SNL' Criticized After Airing Tiger Woods Domestic Violence Skit While Rihanna On Show

"Saturday Night Live" is making headlines for featuring a skit over the weekend, which parodied domestic violence.

On Saturday night's episode, the NBC sketch comedy show made light of Tiger Woods' scandalous week, satirizing reports - denied by the golfer - that his wife, Elin Nordegren, attacked him prior to his early-morning car accident on November 27 with a sketch featuring Keenan Thomson and host Blake Lively.

However, the show's musical guest was Rihanna - a victim of domestic violence earlier this year from then-boyfriend Chris Brown -- prompting concerns from several media outlets that the show's humor was insensitive from some corners.

"It was another sketch that gave us pause," noted PopEater in an article titled "'SNL' Lampoons Alleged Violence in Tiger Woods' Marriage," on Sunday. "We think, had the genders been reversed, 'SNL' wouldn't make light of the potentially violent situation."

Female-oriented site Jezebel called the sketch one of the show's "obvious missteps... when you consider that Rihanna was the night's musical guest."

While over on The TV Squad blog, a writer called out the Rihanna connection.

"As soon as this sketch started, I immediately thought, 'Oh, no! Stop the sketch! Rihanna might see,'" adding, "Had the tables been turned and a man was suspected of beating up his wife, there definitely wouldn't be a lighthearted sketch like this. But since it's female-on-male domestic violence, our current culture deems it kind of, sort of okay to make fun of and the scandal had to be addressed before it lost heat."

And commenters on sites including Entertainment Weekly and The Huffington Post also raised their voices over the sketch.

"The Tiger Woods sketch was terrible. Domestic abuse is NOT funny. It was even more awkward since Rihanna was there," a commenter named Lindsey noted on EW.com.

"Emotional and Physical violence is toxic and not funny," thelipstickfemme wrote on TheHuffingtonPost.com.

--------------------------------

I swear people bitch and complain solely for the attention they can bring to their websites...
    Last edited by voivod; 12.06.09 at 02:31 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

As much as I am in favour of being considerate of others, it's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, for crying out loud! You know, late night, almost no holds barred sketch comedy lampooning and satirizing anybody and anything, Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time-Players and all that? I mean, first of all, has Rhiannon herself expressed her dismay at the sketch? If so, was she around at all during the week when it was probably rehearsed? Does it matter? I'm sure there have been sketches involving death when there was a cast member or a guest that has experienced someone dying around. I'm sure there have been sketches dealing with racism and stereotyping when there have been cast members or guests that have experienced racism or stereotyping around. Geez-a-rama.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Umm...what did Rihanna have to say about it? 'Cuz in the end her's is the only opinion that counts.

She was pretty funny last night too.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,462 Times in 898 Posts

I watched it last night and didn't even think twice about it.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Two entirely separate incidents, and a stupid coincidence for overzealous extremists to jump on. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a feminist after having studied it, and while Rianna's situation is no laughing matter, a skit involving an adulterous husband being beaten by his wife is hardly worrisome IMHO.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    'SNL' Criticized After Airing Tiger Woods Domestic Violence Skit While Rihanna On Show

"Saturday Night Live" is making headlines for featuring a skit over the weekend, which parodied domestic violence.

On Saturday night's episode, the NBC sketch comedy show made light of Tiger Woods' scandalous week, satirizing reports - denied by the golfer - that his wife, Elin Nordegren, attacked him prior to his early-morning car accident on November 27 with a sketch featuring Keenan Thomson and host Blake Lively.

However, the show's musical guest was Rihanna - a victim of domestic violence earlier this year from then-boyfriend Chris Brown -- prompting concerns from several media outlets that the show's humor was insensitive from some corners.

"It was another sketch that gave us pause," noted PopEater in an article titled "'SNL' Lampoons Alleged Violence in Tiger Woods' Marriage," on Sunday. "We think, had the genders been reversed, 'SNL' wouldn't make light of the potentially violent situation."

Female-oriented site Jezebel called the sketch one of the show's "obvious missteps... when you consider that Rihanna was the night's musical guest."

While over on The TV Squad blog, a writer called out the Rihanna connection.

"As soon as this sketch started, I immediately thought, 'Oh, no! Stop the sketch! Rihanna might see,'" adding, "Had the tables been turned and a man was suspected of beating up his wife, there definitely wouldn't be a lighthearted sketch like this. But since it's female-on-male domestic violence, our current culture deems it kind of, sort of okay to make fun of and the scandal had to be addressed before it lost heat."

And commenters on sites including Entertainment Weekly and The Huffington Post also raised their voices over the sketch.

"The Tiger Woods sketch was terrible. Domestic abuse is NOT funny. It was even more awkward since Rihanna was there," a commenter named Lindsey noted on EW.com.

"Emotional and Physical violence is toxic and not funny," thelipstickfemme wrote on TheHuffingtonPost.com.

--------------------------------

I swear people bitch and complain solely for the attention they can bring to their websites...

Sad thing is I didn't even make the connection until I read this.

I can not fathom that there are ACTUALLY people out there that are up-tight to such an insane level.

"As soon as this sketch started, I immediately thought, 'Oh, no! Stop the sketch! Rihanna might see,'"
    Wow. Why should the JOKE/SKTECH have to stop? Rihanna might SEE? Well then I'm sure Rihanna can close her eyes and plug her ears if she is offended by it. But why does the MESSAGE have to change or be turned off because one person might not like it?

It's a joke folks. Time to move on. If people are offended by it....So be it.
    Last edited by MF5150; 12.06.09 at 05:19 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I read shit like this and it always makes me miss the 70's and 80's. It was just so much better then. Way too many uptight motherfuckers in the world today. It's brutal.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

So Rihanna's the only woman in history to have her ass beat by a man? God forbid SHE see a skit on domestic violence!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 1,325 Times in 796 Posts

Bid Deal.... the Sketch was not that funny....

I though SNL could have come up with simething better than that.

A "husky" Tiger does not compute either.

SNL did a M-U-C-H better parody of the Kobe Bryant situation.

SNL is mostly misses now, and very very few HITS, IMO.

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

The bigger scandal is how much SNL sucks these days. That's cause for some real outrage.
    Little Dreamer

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I read shit like this and it always makes me miss the 70's and 80's. It was just so much better then. Way too many uptight motherfuckers in the world today. It's brutal.
    ditto
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

The only reason I'd watch an episode of SNL is if I like the musical guest. I watched when U2 was on there, I plan on watching next week with Bon Jovi.

I haven't watched a new episode of SNL in about five or six years. And even then I thought it kinda sucked. I've seen a ton of episodes from the '70s, '80s, and '90s and it's a real shame how far south the show has gone.

As far as the skit goes, big fucking deal. When Rhianna complains, that's when we can understand criticism. And even then, she'd have to lighten up a bit. But she hasn't said a word. Just extremists finding yet another thing to bitch about.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

On a side note, a friend of mine spent some time with Tiger Woods and told me a bunch of stories a few years ago. Not surprised at all by the stuff coming out in the media.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I hear ya on that one!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 11,542 Times in 4,917 Posts

People still watch this show?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com