Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EVH Wolfgang Pickups

I just bought a set of 2009 EVH wolfgang pickups for $300. It may be alittle steep, but when you think about it IMO you have to be a real goof to take these out of a $3000 guitar. IMO, If you dont like the tone, keep the evh stock and buy the peavey to swap pickups with.

So, my plan is to put this set in my Peavey Wolfgang. I have owned 3 of the new ones and I liked nothing but the pickups. This will be a fun weekend tasker. I am interested to see the tone qualities. Those new EVH's are REALLY light. Maybe with a heavier Peavey body the sustain and tone will be even better.

Are you guys on the same sheet of paper? If not why?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtuner317 View Post
    I just bought a set of 2009 EVH wolfgang pickups for $300. It may be alittle steep, but when you think about it IMO you have to be a real goof to take these out of a $3000 guitar. IMO, If you dont like the tone, keep the evh stock and buy the peavey to swap pickups with.

So, my plan is to put this set in my Peavey Wolfgang. I have owned 3 of the new ones and I liked nothing but the pickups. This will be a fun weekend tasker. I am interested to see the tone qualities. Those new EVH's are REALLY light. Maybe with a heavier Peavey body the sustain and tone will be even better.

Are you guys on the same sheet of paper? If not why?
    Did you buy the set that was on eBay?

That's a lot of money for pickups, so I hope they're worth it. What resistance does each measure? (I've never seen it posted anywhere, and I don't think anyone here has ever offered up that info.) I'm curious to know the differences with the Peavey Wolfgang pickups. I personally love the Peavey pups.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I got them off ebay. I agree, $300 is alot. However, the first set to go on went for $500, so I figured I got a deal. And, they will probably not sell these individually. Which is why I would NEVER pull these if I owned that guitar. You dont see them for sale. I have seen 2 sets in a year and I am on ebay all the time.

When I had mine I was very curious on what the output was, but I never got around to checking. This way, I can pull em out and put them in anything I want.

$300 is alot, but it is worth it to me to have the project. I will probably put them in one of my Peavey Wolfgangs. There are not too many Peaveys out there with the new EVH pickups in it.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I really believe yours is going to be the first. Mike was the guitar really that bad that you are going through all of this. I have not seen or heard the new Wolf in person but if you had three and did not find a keeper that is not saying much for the new Wolf. In fact it's just about calling it a bust. I dont see what you are doing as being extreme. The guy who parts out all the Peavey specials on ebay gets around $230 a set. Now if you said you pulled them out of a new Wolf that would be extreme. Well let us know what tone you get. Good luck I hope it turns out slamming.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you can have the pickups copied!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmf5150 View Post
    you can have the pickups copied!
    I didnt think of that. Anyone could do that though. Kyle, are you there????

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

highorder pickups,motorcity pickups ,smitts pickups,and the list goes on of people who could copy them.you could make a few bucks on each pickup that you sell paying for your original pickups!!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you "absolutely positively sure" that they came out of a new EVH Wolfgang?? and not a Peavey?? I find that hard to believe but not imposible. I,m with AT, what's the resistance? and how about a PIC of the back of it??? yeh, you would have be a "goof" to take these out of a $3000 guitar.........(Hope you didn't get duped)
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Bob View Post
    Are you "absolutely positively sure" that they came out of a new EVH Wolfgang?? and not a Peavey?? I find that hard to believe but not imposible. I,m with AT, what's the resistance? and how about a PIC of the back of it??? yeh, you would have be a "goof" to take these out of a $3000 guitar.........(Hope you didn't get duped)
    Oh no, they are the real deal. I have pics and all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PageName=STRK:

I am a Wolf nut, I know my Wolf's. The guy bought the wolf new. I checked his transaction history on ebay. A month later he bought a Duncan Jazz and JB. Then a week after that he listed the 2009 EVH pickups. I will list the resistance on both as soon as I get them. They are due here Friday.

The big thing with the new Wolf was the pickups. What was it? 50 sets he went thru? I have no idea why someone would pull those. Must not be a guy that knows resale. To me, that guitar is worth nothing without them. Like I said, I owned 3 of them. I have none now.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Oh no, they are the real deal. I have pics and all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PageName=STRK:

I am a Wolf nut, I know my Wolf's. The guy bought the wolf new. I checked his transaction history on ebay. A month later he bought a Duncan Jazz and JB. Then a week after that he listed the 2009 EVH pickups. I will list the resistance on both as soon as I get them. They are due here Friday.

The big thing with the new Wolf was the pickups. What was it? 50 sets he went thru? I have no idea why someone would pull those. Must not be a guy that knows resale. To me, that guitar is worth nothing without them. Like I said, I owned 3 of them. I have none now.
    Peavey Wolfgangs ALWAYS sold for significantly less if they didn't have the original pickups. I imagine it will be exactly the same with the EVH Wolfgangs.

I looked at those pups when they first went up on eBay, and they looked exactly like the EVH ones. They're quite unique in the way the mounting ears are shaped and drilled for mounting holes. On that subject... anyone have any idea why each pickup is mounted with TWO screws on each side? Is that a "so it doesn't tilt" thing?

Please do list the resistance of each pickup when you can. I've been very curious since the guitar came out. I'm most interested in knowing if the neck pup measures higher than the bridge pup, like it was with the Peavey (17k to 14k, respectively).

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

It is totally realistic that someone would change out pickups. Pickups are like shoes. They gotta be just right. People swap pickups out all the time no matter how expensive the guitar. A music store I worked in a looooong time ago in texas, A guy walked in around 1993 with a pink EBMM EVH, it had an EMG 81 and a 85 in it. You could see how they rerouted to fit them in !

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wouldn't it be funny if the specs matched a tone zone and air norton? Seriously though, I am surprised that those with the new Wolfgang have been less than forthright with the specs of the new Wolfgang. it is just a guitar, not a matter of national security.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yes Mike I'm "there", and would love to clone them.

My WarEd is a perfect clone of the Frankenstein pup so I trust my guy in Austin could do these too.
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    It is totally realistic that someone would change out pickups. Pickups are like shoes. They gotta be just right. People swap pickups out all the time no matter how expensive the guitar. A music store I worked in a looooong time ago in texas, A guy walked in around 1993 with a pink EBMM EVH, it had an EMG 81 and a 85 in it. You could see how they rerouted to fit them in !
    I totally understand that it is totally realistic to swap pickups. But being the EVH nut that i am, I just find it hard to understand why you would buy an EVH guitar if you dont want the EVH tone.

And even if you did want to swap, keep the originals for resale value........

Regardless, his loss, my gain.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    Yes Mike I'm "there", and would love to clone them.

My WarEd is a perfect clone of the Frankenstein pup so I trust my guy in Austin could do these too.
    Just curious, which Frankenstein pickup is it a clone of? The one in the $25K replica, or the one offered right now as a separate pickup from EVH Gear?