Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Rosewood vs. Maple- who has the last word?

i feel that some of the nastier and more shrill parts of harmonics get mellowed with rosewood fingerboards. For my current style- it ain't my thing. I think I prefer a maple fingerboard right now.

Let's debate: rosewood? maple?
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

More and more I love dark sounding guitars. So most of the time I like the darker resonance a rosewood fingerboard brings. But it all depends on the body woods, too. A darker body tone wood could use some brightening up via a maple fingerboard. And of course there's an environmental concern that comes along with some species of rosewood. I mostly started to notice the difference between maple and rosewood fingerboards when I started assembling custom guitars. It's amazing the affect that one strip of wood can have on the overall tone.

While we're on the subject... What do some think of the notion that two-piece maple necks sound less bright than one-piece maple necks? I can't say for sure, but I have noticed that just about every one-piece maple neck I play is very bright. I wouldn't call most of the two-piece maple necks I play (like on the Wolfgangs) "very" bright. Thoughts on that?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Depends on what body wood.

I find Alder to be a bit too bright with a maple board. I like rosewood with alder because it tends to smooth out the harshness I hear in Alder.

In basswood I like maple, it tends to liven up the sound just a bit.

Mahogany and rosewood I do not like, much too mellow and laid back for my tastes.

In terms of feel, bare maple and bare rosewood, right now I would say I prefer rosewood, but it's close. I used to love bare maple, still do, but have come to appreciate rosewood more. In term of appearance, I really like maple.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

every guitar I have fallen in love with the neck has been rosewood
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'de have to say all my strats are rosewood, my Gibons obviously, but on a Tele...maple is best for twang, and rosewood for a bit less twang..

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

I've always preferred maple, but I have nothing against rosewood...
    WGAF?!!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

There really is a big difference in as Andrew put it what that one strip of wood can do. I have always been a huge fan of Fender guitars and come from the classic Rock school of playing. I took to the Tele, way before I got into Strats as I prefer the volume tone configuration of a Tele to be the most comforable, and after ten years when I really got into strats I had to make adjusments before I was just as comfortable. One was learning to keep my pinkie in between the volume and tone knobs and the other was how to stop banging into the middle pup while picking, which was cured by reading interviews with Ritchie Blacmore and Yngwie who had the same problem and just sunk them, which is what I do as I play on either the neck or bridge and really have no use for the middle pup.

I had bought a 62 reissue tele in 85 that came with a rose wood board as everyone knows and also a Blonde Tele with a black pickguard and a maple neck. Now since I was a Tele fanatic as far as comfort and playability the music I was into was not really suited for the Tele so I did what everyone else at the time was doing and moded. The 62 reissue was my favorite ax so it got moded first I put in Dimarzio Fast Track pups and also refretted it with medium jumbo frets. The guitar was dead out killer and I could go through the classic rock alphabet from AC/DC to ZEP with no problem. Everyone who has ever played this guitar loved it or asked to buy it. Even Matty fron 30st guitars who did the refret said he was playing it before I picked it up and it was a keeper.

So since everything turned out so good with that one I switched pups on my other Tele two years later the one with the Maple neck. I put in the same exact pups and the guitar just did not cut it , not even close. It was just to bright and the spank of the maple neck just did not go well with the Dimarzios as the only difference in guitars were the fretboards as they both had Alder bodies. I had that guitar tweaked every which way but eventualy put the original pups back in and sold it.

So for a long time my main guitars were the 62 reissue Tele, a Strat Ultra which has an ebony board and a Beck strat, also Rosewood. I had picked up a Clapton Strat too which at that time was the only Maple neck ax I had but that is somewhat misleading as the TBX and Mid Boost electronics shade the pups to a tone that falls more on a humbucking guitar and so you are not getting the tone of playing a Maple neck through single coils but it is just a great guitar though.

Well finally the day I bought my first Wolfgang was the day I got hooked on maple necks and they have since become my favorite neck ever though when I play a Strat or a Tele I prefer a Rosewood neck. I have two Wolfgangs that have Rosewood necks but on that guitar I prefer the maple neck by a landslide. Kind of weird. I would love to hear how that neck would sound on a guitar with single coils. I know Eddie has a few and I know they made some Axis with P90s but I have never heard them.

When I first came on this site I read a lot of back threads and the guy from Peavey Roger Crimm was a member for a while till he just about got run off.lol But I remember him saying that wood does not have as big of an impact on guitars as most players think, also a guy who is a regular on the Fender forum always says the same thing that electronics play the major part. Well I totaly disagree because just about anyone that has an ear and has been playing a while can hear that there is quite a difference in a Maple fretboard and a Rosewood fretboard especially when playing through single coils.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Body and neck woods are absolutely key to the tone of a guitar. I've got alder, basswood and mahagony guitars. They are very different sounding woods. Sure, electronics are important and can effect the tone but I think the woods used give the guitar its tonal characteristic, or voice, is the most important factor. Isn't this common knowledge for any guitar player who pays any attention to their tone?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

no love for ebony boards?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

vhin04 well you have been around here much longer than I have so you probably remember when the tech from Peavey was a member. If not have some fun and go read the old post from this room. It had to do with the Wolfgang EXPs and the use of cheaper pups and he was trying to say that players think to much of the role wood plays in a guitars tone and then it got to be really good reading as he just about got run out of the room.lol

But I really think he slipped over here to see what everyones view was on the EXPs and the fact the Wolfs were just begining to be made in KOREA. Because he is still an administrator on the Whammy Bar and Grill site and never came back here again. In fact I PMd him about that incident and he did not want to talk about it. But to say wood does not effect the tone is just ludicrous and a guy of his standings surely knows that,

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

I've had some rosewood boards, just not a big fan. Maple all the way for me.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I prefer the feel and look of maple, but rosewood has it's advantages. As Andrew said, it can make the sound darker, so it's a bit subjective. For instance my current project has an old Kramer rosewood banana head neck, and I absolutely love what that neck brings to an alder or basswood body guitar.
    On the other hand, I have a one piece maple Kramer beak neck on my poplar body VH inspired strat, and it sounds and plays awesome. Now to add another fretboard material into the mix, my absolute favorite fingerboard is ebony. I had that on my 91 Paul, and it was just beautiful looking, and compared to a rosewood boarded Paul, had alot more note definition. It just gave it more snap, but was'nt overly bright.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

if i'm honest i've never really given it much thought and thats in over 26yrs of playing!...lol. now i do think about, most of my prefered guitars have had rosewood boards but again just recently i am prefering a brighter tone and i have been picking up either a wolf or the strat i built out of mongrel parts that has a maple board. although my all time favourite guitar is my '61 sunburst strat (my dad bought it for me when i fell in love with Rory Gallaghers playing), but it's just too precious for me to gig with anymore.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,310 Times in 3,173 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've got 3 Kramers with rosewood boards and a MM1 with maple board and honestly rosewood sounds the best. My pacer imperial is the best sounding guitar I have ever picked up. Maple is too bright.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

I'm more of a Gibson guy, so I usually end up having a rosewood fretboard..that said, on Fender-type guitars (Strats & Teles) & Wolfgangs I like Maple...so I think it totally depends on the guitar...for what it's worth..
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth