Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist

Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq — the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges.

March 31, 2004: Iraqis chant anti-American slogans as the charred and mutilated bodies of U.S. contractors hang from a bridge over the Euphrates River in Fallujah, Iraq.

The three, all members of the Navy's elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment — called an admiral's mast — and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors — and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

Now, instead of being lauded for bringing to justice a high-value target, three of the SEAL commandos, all enlisted, face assault charges and have retained lawyers.

Matthew McCabe, a Special Operations Petty Officer Second Class (SO-2), is facing three charges: dereliction of performance of duty for willfully failing to safeguard a detainee, making a false official statement, and assault.

Petty Officer Jonathan Keefe, SO-2, is facing charges of dereliction of performance of duty and making a false official statement.

Petty Officer Julio Huertas, SO-1, faces those same charges and an additional charge of impediment of an investigation.

The three SEALs will be arraigned separately on Dec. 7. Another three SEALs — two officers and an enlisted sailor — have been identified by investigators as witnesses but have not been charged.

FoxNews.com obtained the official handwritten statement from one of the three witnesses given on Sept. 3, hours after Abed was captured and still being held at the SEAL base at Camp Baharia. He was later taken to a cell in the U.S.-operated Green Zone in Baghdad.

The SEAL told investigators he had showered after the mission, gone to the kitchen and then decided to look in on the detainee.

"I gave the detainee a glance over and then left," the SEAL wrote. "I did not notice anything wrong with the detainee and he appeared in good health."

Lt. Col. Holly Silkman, spokeswoman for the special operations component of U.S. Central Command, confirmed Tuesday to FoxNews.com that three SEALs have been charged in connection with the capture of a detainee. She said their court martial is scheduled for January.

United States Central Command declined to discuss the detainee, but a legal source told FoxNews.com that the detainee was turned over to Iraqi authorities, to whom he made the abuse complaints. He was then returned to American custody. The SEAL leader reported the charge up the chain of command, and an investigation ensued.

The source said intelligence briefings provided to the SEALs stated that "Objective Amber" planned the 2004 Fallujah ambush, and "they had been tracking this guy for some time."

The Fallujah atrocity came to symbolize the brutality of the enemy in Iraq and the degree to which a homegrown insurgency was extending its grip over Iraq.

The four Blackwater agents were transporting supplies for a catering company when they were ambushed and killed by gunfire and grenades. Insurgents burned the bodies and dragged them through the city. They hanged two of the bodies on a bridge over the Euphrates River for the world press to photograph.

Intelligence sources identified Abed as the ringleader, but he had evaded capture until September.

The military is sensitive to charges of detainee abuse highlighted in the Abu Ghraib prison scandal. The Navy charged four SEALs with abuse in 2004 in connection with detainee treatment.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Man, that is fucked up. They are in the middle of a war over there and they are being charged with assault for giving a murderer a bloody lip. They should have just killed him in self defense. How do any of the service members even feel comfortable fighting this war without persecution?
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:40 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Great way to give thanks to American hero's on thanksgiving, huh? Unbelievable. Obama simply does not get it.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    Great way to give thanks to American hero's on thanksgiving, huh? Unbelievable. Obama simply does not get it.
    I dont see Obama mentioned anywhere in the article. Stop slamming just to slam.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Littler Monster View Post
    I dont see Obama mentioned anywhere in the article. Stop slamming just to slam.
    Ahh...He's the Commander in Chief. This type of thing doesn't happen without his approval.

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uh, yeah. It does, actually. This was a matter of being charged under the UCMJ. It has absolutely nothing to do with the President.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wray View Post
    Uh, yeah. It does, actually. This was a matter of being charged under the UCMJ. It has absolutely nothing to do with the President.
    Come on...At the very least it's the liberal political correctness that is sweeping the armed forces that brought this on. Do you honestly believe that this sort of thing went on in WWII, Korea ect. Even if Obama didn't know about it beforehand, it's his policy's that are at work here... Let our warriors be warriors. Fight to win. If they aren't there to win, bring them all home NOW.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Come on...At the very least it's the liberal political correctness that is sweeping the armed forces that brought this on. Do you honestly believe that this sort of thing went on in WWII, Korea ect. Even if Obama didn't know about it beforehand, it's his policy's that are at work here... Let our warriors be warriors. Fight to win. If they aren't there to win, bring them all home NOW.
    Tell me, JHC, are you currently serving in the military?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I hope those three warriors are validated and vindicated with a not guilty verdict. God bless our Spec Ops warriors!

GO, SOCCENT/CFSOCC!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Yes, tell us. Cause you're not allowed to have an opinion about this unless you are, right Wray!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

No..Military family. It just gets me all worked up when I see brave men facing assault charges for doing their job.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No..Military family. It just gets me all worked up when I see brave men facing assault charges for doing their job.
    Then I'd love to know where you get your information.

Being someone who is about to finish an elistment in the Marine Corps, I can tell you that "liberal political correctness" is not sweeping through the military.

If you actually read the story, you'll see that assault is not the only charge that these SEALs are facing. It looks to me like they voluntarily made the situation worse by lying about it, considering that they are facing a charge of making a false statement. By being honest, they probably would have received nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

You also have to take into account that this situation took place in Iraq. I've been there and done that. Fighting an insurgency is a completely different dynamic to a war than straight up conventional warfare. Winning the "hearts and minds" of the populace isn't some bullshit thrown out there by politicians and commanders; it's absolutely essential to making any progress whatsoever in a war such as Operation Iraqi Freedom. Assaulting, beating and/or torturing detainees only compounds the problem.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Then I'd love to know where you get your information.

Being someone who is about to finish an elistment in the Marine Corps, I can tell you that "liberal political correctness" is not sweeping through the military.

If you actually read the story, you'll see that assault is not the only charge that these SEALs are facing. It looks to me like they voluntarily made the situation worse by lying about it, considering that they are facing a charge of making a false statement. By being honest, they probably would have received nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

You also have to take into account that this situation took place in Iraq. I've been there and done that. Fighting an insurgency is a completely different dynamic to a war than straight up conventional warfare. Winning the "hearts and minds" of the populace isn't some bullshit thrown out there by politicians and commanders; it's absolutely essential to making any progress whatsoever in a war such as Operation Iraqi Freedom. Assaulting, beating and/or torturing detainees only compounds the problem.
    Fair enough. Thank you and God bless for all that you do. Have a great thanksgiving.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Same to you.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges.

March 31, 2004: Iraqis chant anti-American slogans as the charred and mutilated bodies of U.S. contractors hang from a bridge over the Euphrates River in Fallujah, Iraq.

The three, all members of the Navy's elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment called an admiral's mast and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

Now, instead of being lauded for bringing to justice a high-value target, three of the SEAL commandos, all enlisted, face assault charges and have retained lawyers.

Matthew McCabe, a Special Operations Petty Officer Second Class (SO-2), is facing three charges: dereliction of performance of duty for willfully failing to safeguard a detainee, making a false official statement, and assault.

Petty Officer Jonathan Keefe, SO-2, is facing charges of dereliction of performance of duty and making a false official statement.

Petty Officer Julio Huertas, SO-1, faces those same charges and an additional charge of impediment of an investigation.

The three SEALs will be arraigned separately on Dec. 7. Another three SEALs two officers and an enlisted sailor have been identified by investigators as witnesses but have not been charged.

FoxNews.com obtained the official handwritten statement from one of the three witnesses given on Sept. 3, hours after Abed was captured and still being held at the SEAL base at Camp Baharia. He was later taken to a cell in the U.S.-operated Green Zone in Baghdad.

The SEAL told investigators he had showered after the mission, gone to the kitchen and then decided to look in on the detainee.

"I gave the detainee a glance over and then left," the SEAL wrote. "I did not notice anything wrong with the detainee and he appeared in good health."

Lt. Col. Holly Silkman, spokeswoman for the special operations component of U.S. Central Command, confirmed Tuesday to FoxNews.com that three SEALs have been charged in connection with the capture of a detainee. She said their court martial is scheduled for January.

United States Central Command declined to discuss the detainee, but a legal source told FoxNews.com that the detainee was turned over to Iraqi authorities, to whom he made the abuse complaints. He was then returned to American custody. The SEAL leader reported the charge up the chain of command, and an investigation ensued.

The source said intelligence briefings provided to the SEALs stated that "Objective Amber" planned the 2004 Fallujah ambush, and "they had been tracking this guy for some time."

The Fallujah atrocity came to symbolize the brutality of the enemy in Iraq and the degree to which a homegrown insurgency was extending its grip over Iraq.

The four Blackwater agents were transporting supplies for a catering company when they were ambushed and killed by gunfire and grenades. Insurgents burned the bodies and dragged them through the city. They hanged two of the bodies on a bridge over the Euphrates River for the world press to photograph.

Intelligence sources identified Abed as the ringleader, but he had evaded capture until September.

The military is sensitive to charges of detainee abuse highlighted in the Abu Ghraib prison scandal. The Navy charged four SEALs with abuse in 2004 in connection with detainee treatment.
    Source please?