Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.09 @ 07:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Came into possession of a Wolfgang!

Hey Everyone. I haven't posted in a long time, but thought this would be a good opportunity to log back in. I acquired a Wolfgang thought an online trade. Plays phenomenally and is quite the looker... I have always wanted a white or black one, but this will do just fine until I can find a black or white!

Jason

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

looks killer man!
    congrats!

all you need now is a drop to hell bridge and your rockin!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Oh, dude... I'll always take a nice flame top Wolfie over a solid color. Plus, the hard tail Wolfgangs have sustain and harmonics like crazy!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.09 @ 07:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Oh, dude... I'll always take a nice flame top Wolfie over a solid color. Plus, the hard tail Wolfgangs have sustain and harmonics like crazy!
    Yeah I know. It really does sound killer... And the flame top is growing on me... Its just always been sort of that dream guitar for me... a black or white.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaystayflaar View Post
    Yeah I know. It really does sound killer... And the flame top is growing on me... Its just always been sort of that dream guitar for me... a black or white.
    I hear ya man... I want a black Wolfgang standard SOOOOOOO bad.

That is one awesome guitar you got there though!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I hear ya man... I want a black Wolfgang standard SOOOOOOO bad.

That is one awesome guitar you got there though!
    If you ever do try for a black Wolfie, see about getting an early one. A good indicator that it's one of the first produced is a lack of trademark symbols next to the EVH and Wolfgang decals on the headstock. It seems every freakin' early black Wolf produced was just rock solid. I bought mine as new-old-stock from a music store in New York over five years ago. It's a '98, and the thing is just stellar, top to bottom. The neck is one of the best feeling of any Wolfgang I've ever owned.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I'd consider selling my Pat Pending (no trademark symbols) Black Standard for a good price. It's not mint though, I played it a lot but it's in excellent shape.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.10.12 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow that looks like my old one. Did you get it from a guy in the Philly area??

I have had quite a few Wolfies and I found that the solid color ones didn't have the tone like the flame/quilt top ones. I figured it was the maple top as opposed to the solid basswood. The maple gives it a real snap.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    If you ever do try for a black Wolfie, see about getting an early one. A good indicator that it's one of the first produced is a lack of trademark symbols next to the EVH and Wolfgang decals on the headstock. It seems every freakin' early black Wolf produced was just rock solid. I bought mine as new-old-stock from a music store in New York over five years ago. It's a '98, and the thing is just stellar, top to bottom. The neck is one of the best feeling of any Wolfgang I've ever owned.
    that is exactly what I would want. I'd really like a maple cap one too...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocktuna View Post
    Wow that looks like my old one. Did you get it from a guy in the Philly area??

I have had quite a few Wolfies and I found that the solid color ones didn't have the tone like the flame/quilt top ones. I figured it was the maple top as opposed to the solid basswood. The maple gives it a real snap.
    Yes, the maple top really does add snap and brightness. That's a thick maple cap on the Wolfies--5/8" before carving on the standards and 1/4" on the Specials. The solid basswood models are much darker and more resonant in the low-mids. I love both equally and grab whichever tone fits my mood for the day.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Congrats on the Amber stop tail and it also looks to have a heavy birds eye neck. There has been a major supply of Amber Wolfs on ebay the last month as 2 of every three up are amber. Sometimes everyone breaks out purple all at the same time and then you will not see one for a while.

Andrew you ever notice that the Amber ones almost come in two shades. One leans heavier on an orange tint as the one above and then there are those that lean on a yellowish tint. I really have no answer for this as I have seen both shades in earlier and later models.

I also love the stop tail models. In fact my custom shop is a stop tail in Natural Burst with all black hardware and pick ups and the guitar just screams.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by straycat113 View Post
    Congrats on the Amber stop tail and it also looks to have a heavy birds eye neck. There has been a major supply of Amber Wolfs on ebay the last month as 2 of every three up are amber. Sometimes everyone breaks out purple all at the same time and then you will not see one for a while.

Andrew you ever notice that the Amber ones almost come in two shades. One leans heavier on an orange tint as the one above and then there are those that lean on a yellowish tint. I really have no answer for this as I have seen both shades in earlier and later models.

I also love the stop tail models. In fact my custom shop is a stop tail in Natural Burst with all black hardware and pick ups and the guitar just screams.
    Dude, you MUST post a picture of that Custom Shop Wolf.

There is variance in most of the dyed figured top Wolfgangs, and it's due mostly to differences in the natural color of the maple caps and how each specifically absorbed the dye. I've had several Wolfgangs of the same color and most never looked exactly the same. Three purple flame top Wolfgangs, and they were all a different hue. Two green ones... same thing. I'd say red and amber tend to actually be the most consistent, but even then they still varied. It's just another one of those things that makes each guitar unique, which is cool.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Andrew there is a funny story behind that custom shop guitar and it had to do with clicking on ebay at the right time. I was watching this Wolfgang for a week a Goldtop that I figured was mine.lol So I am watching as the clock is ticking down to five minutes my wife had asked me to come downstairs to help her with something I run downstairs and tell her I have to hurry as I have three minutes to do what she wanted. Well when I came back up my oldest son 16 had logged me off and was on facebook and I flipped out he got banished and I was scrambling to log back in and I missed the auction by 10 seconds. lol And to boot the guitar sold for $900

Well I was sitting there all twisted and when I clicked the page a guitar just listed at that moment saying custom Wolfgang Special. It was one of the Eddies Dozens guitars which was a contest Peavey held to celebrate the opening of there custom shop and in which they gave away one custom guitar for every month in a year for a year. The guy said he was buying a new house and he hated to sell it but he had to let it go. The cool thing was he had the contest paper which had a picture of the guitar on it that was to be given away that month with the contest rules. It was the next to last one they did which was 11/02.

He had an opening bid of $980 and a buy it now of $1,180 the guitar lasted on ebay about 30 seconds as I hit that so fast I dont think anyone ever saw it. Now the only reason I even knew about this contest is because on Goeff Knapps site in the custom guitar part there is a picture of a custom guitar that belongs to someone who won it, and Geoff explains about the contest. When the guitar came I dont think the guy ever even stuck a jack into it thats how mint it was. I brought it to my friends shop and since the time I have not been able to play he sets my guitars up for me and takes them for a ride. It is not the best looking custom you will see . In fact my friend knows all my Wolfs and gave me that face like what is this. But when he plugged it in I had to pry it from his hands as the guitar is just killer sounding. The stoptail is black along with the tuning pegs and the pups and the neck is rosewood with block inlays.

The funny thing is I was reading back post on Harmony Centrals forum. Like I will go on and punch in Peavey Wolfgang and read the post and there was the guy who sold the guitar who put up a thread asking people what he should ask for the guitar as he did not have a clue. And someone told him well if they gave away one for every month ask for a hundred a month and I guess that is how he came up with the price of $1,180. I have to thank that guy for his way of thinking.lol

Yes my son just came back from Europe yesterday and he had the camera and I have to post some pics of my gear.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by straycat113 View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

And speaking of Wolfgang colors... besides wanting a black standard, I really like green ones, and AT, I think your green flame top special is the best one I've ever seen hue wise.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I think we've hijacked the thread.

kaystayflaar, you've inspired Wolfgang talk.

My green Special was only the second Wolf I ever bought. Later I bought a green arch top hardtail. Different green hue to each; the Special is brighter.