Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Was 5-Year-Old Sold Into Sex Slavery?

SANFORD, N.C. (AP) ― When 5-year-old Shaniya Davis was reported missing, suspicion turned to a man described as her mother's boyfriend. As he was let go, police targeted another man spotted on hotel surveillance footage holding the child. Then, authorities arrested the girl's mother and accused her of offering her daughter for prostitution.

The arrests offered a glimmer of hope Shaniya would be found alive. But on Monday, searchers discovered the girl's body off a rural road, nearly a week after her mother reported her missing from a mobile home park.

Hundreds of volunteers who helped look for Shaniya left the search area dejected, unable to bring her home to her father, 7-year-old brother and the dolls she so loved.

"I still feel kind of sick to my stomach," said Angela Jackson, 27, of Sanford, who has a 2-month-old daughter and searched for consecutive days.

Particularly disturbing were the accusations against Shaniya's mother, 25-year-old Antoinette Davis. Police charged Davis with human trafficking and felony child abuse, saying Shaniya was offered for sex.

Davis was calm and quiet during a court appearance. She provided one-word answers to the judge's questions. She requested a court-appointed attorney and did not enter a plea.

Her sister, Brenda Davis, 20, said she does not believe the charges.

"I don't believe she could hurt her children," said Brenda Davis, who spoke with her sister at the jail Sunday. Davis' aunt, Yvonne Mitchell, said the mother had two jobs and would never harm the child.

Authorities also charged Mario Andrette McNeill, 29, with kidnapping after they said surveillance footage from a Sanford hotel showed him carrying Shaniya. Authorities said McNeill admitted taking the girl, though his attorney said he will plead not guilty.

Fayetteville police spokeswoman Theresa Chance declined to talk about additional charges. She also wouldn't comment on a cause of death or the condition of Shaniya's body, except to say that investigators planned to retrieve it about 100 feet off the road.

"Detectives have been running off adrenaline to find this little girl and to bring her home alive," Chance said. "You have a lot of people in shock right now."

Davis reported Shaniya missing from a mobile home park Nov. 10. Authorities first arrested Clarence Coe, but charges against him were dropped a day later when investigators tracked down McNeill after receiving a tip from a hotel employee.

Additional information led investigators to a search site near Sanford on Sunday. They continued searching Monday, scouring miles of landscape, roads, ravines and fields on four-wheelers and with helicopters.

"We were hoping that someone could carry her home," said Syd Severe, 42, who came from Raleigh to help with the search. "It's just sick."

A cluster of emergency vehicles and law enforcement gathered where Shaniya's body was found. Authorities blocked access to the road, a rural area popular with hunters that is less than a mile from a lakeside community.

On Monday night, dozens of people attended a vigil at a Baptist church about two miles away.

"We have kids and it just hit so close to home. It's unbelievable how somebody can just do something that horrible to something so precious," said organizer Crystal Godfrey, who lives a few miles from where the body was found.

Shaniya's father, Bradley Lockhart, said he raised his daughter for several years but last month decided to let her stay with her mother. He had pleaded for her safe return.

Lockhart told The Associated Press on Saturday that he and Davis never argued about him raising Shaniya, and Cumberland County courts had no record of a custody dispute. He described his relationship with Davis as a "one-night stand" and said he did not know McNeill.

Davis struggled financially over the years, but she recently got a job and her own place, so Lockhart said he decided to give her a chance with their daughter.

"I should've never let her go over there," he said Saturday night. A friend at Lockhart's home Monday afternoon said Lockhart did not want to speak with reporters.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It's a terrible story, and one that will no doubt evolve in the coming weeks. My girlfriend lives in Sanford, the hotel is right around the corner from where she lives. I was driving home Sunday through the search area, and cops and volunteers were everywhere, they actually had to turn people away on Monday. I figured when they were searching through kudzu that this story would end this way.

The mother's family is so quick to let everyone know that they "have her back" on this. I don't know what the Fayetteville PD has on this lady, but they made it very clear that she allowed the girl to be sold into "sexual servitude", and that an act of prostitution had already taken place. The man in the picture holding the girl at the hotel has been "extremely uncooperative", according to FPD. And this morning, there is a story on charlotte observer dot com that says the father's sister, who apparently spent the most time raising this child, was told by the mother one week before the disappearance that she would never see the child again.

There was never a custody battle because the mother never fought the father over custody. But there are questions as to why he would suddenly allow the child to go live with the mother, because the trailer she lived in was immediately condemned by investigators at the outset of the disappearance one week ago. Apparently the sewage system was backing up into the trailer. Which makes one wonder why the father would suddenly allow his child to go live there. Also, his sister says she only packed two day's worth of clothes for the girl when she went to the mother's, so that doesn't sound as if they were planning on letting her stay very long.

At any rate, the whole situation is screwed up, and I'm thinking it is too early for the public to cast judgement on who is a saint and who is a sinner in this case. But the cat is already out of the bag on that one.

Bottom line, a five year old girl is dead, the parents never should have procreated in the first place, the DSS was involved and nothing happened along the way, and people shouldn't do drugs. Keep an eye on your kids, sane people.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 2
    Favorite VH Song

way too many.....
    Last Online

10.06.13 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the capper-Mom is now pregnant. Unbelievable.

How sad. My condolences to the family, and bless this poor child.

"All right, Wolf, which one do you want?"
    -DLR, 05/15/08, BALTIMORE, to me and my best friend

But one night's all we're given,
    So, baby, leave me alone, or, baby, stay the night

The Van Halen I grew up on showed up at the party, drank all your alcohol and fucked your girlfriend. The Sammy era seemed more like spending a Saturday night alone with your girlfriend telling her how much you love her. - Sickman, summing it all up for me!

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drugs can make people do some F'ed up stuff. I am assuming that played a big role. Over all just a sad and heartbreaking story. Children are so precious, I just don't understand how it could ever happen.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I hate when you post stories like this.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If this doesn't just make ya sick, I don't know what will.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.