Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franky update

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Franky update

I know, I know, everyone is tired of this guitar... but some of us just can't get enough!

Add to that the fact that the thread predecessor to this one lost its pics (server problems?) and I thought how about make a new one with the update on my beloved guitar?

So, here it is:

The reason for the update is about... here.

It's a blurry pic, I know, I'm a lousy photographer... But this is what I ment:

Some fresh-from-Japan Gotoh crown tuners! These used to be black, but my good friend Yasuhiro took the time and effort to polish them into chrome for me! Now they look vintage!

While I was at it, I gave the neck a new wax treatment on the back of the neck and did this:

Unfortunately is not as precise as I'd like it to be, because I lost my patience pretty soon (it was late at night) and I though "Oh what the heck, just move on with it!" I also didn't set the wire in the neck pickup as I'm currently out of a soldering iron.

Now, this is a nice detail that I'm particularly happy with:

An old school Floyd Rose arm bushing. I installed it just out of accuracy, I like the new ones better, I think they are more efficient. This one makes a bit of noise when I finish a divebomb and release it into place. It resembles a Fender tremolo arm. But it's a matter of getting used to it, I guess.

Next, I'm thinking of updating the potentiometer. I have a CTS one, but I'm considering a Bourns, because of its low friction. I like the CTS, but it does have friction and stuff like Romeo Delight and Somebody Get me a Doctor get a bit harder... Does anyone know what kind there was on the replica? In the GW March 2007 issue, Chip said the original was a DiMarzio pot. Jimi?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

I don't think I'll ever grow tired of the franky or seeing someone post a labor of love reproduction.

Well done dude, looks great! Enjoy it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Realy realy nice man...ONLY thing i would say..Cig burns looks kinda weird..!..what did you try to use?...NOTHING beats a real cig..u don't need to smoke..you just light it up..and let it burn there..

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Merci par tes paroles, Alain!

Well, they look weird because they are WRONG!

I tried to lay some cigarettes there, but they kept falling off. In the end, I tried to shape the marks with a soldering iron, helped a bit but the two main marks are still too close. They are slowly fading, I will eventually set them straight. For now I just want to play it, I feel like I rediscovered a long lost friend!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Well, contragtualtions on an excellent job, Sergio, it looks fatastic, my friend! It would now appear that your obsessive compulsions about building and equipping the ultimate Franky replica are nearly at an end... what will you do with all that free time when you finally locate and install every authentic piece of equipment and hardware?!!

BTW, I know I'm nit-picking here, but one small detail on the headstock- you need to add the extra holes for the string retainer bar!
    WGAF?!!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    Merci par tes paroles, Alain!

Well, they look weird because they are WRONG!

I tried to lay some cigarettes there, but they kept falling off. In the end, I tried to shape the marks with a soldering iron, helped a bit but the two main marks are still too close. They are slowly fading, I will eventually set them straight. For now I just want to play it, I feel like I rediscovered a long lost friend!
    Simple trick...you lay them down..and tape the end of the smoke with a small piece of paint tape... i put 3 at a time myself..

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Well, contragtualtions on an excellent job, Sergio, it looks fatastic, my friend! It would now appear that your obsessive compulsions about building and equipping the ultimate Franky replica are nearly at an end... what will you do with all that free time when you finally locate and install every authentic piece of equipment and hardware?!!

BTW, I know I'm nit-picking here, but one small detail on the headstock- you need to add the extra holes for the string retainer bar!
    Haha, thanks Jimi! Well, my plans include a trip to US, visit 5150 studios with my Franky and then, casually, switch it with the real one! Ed will never find out, after all he said that he couldn't tell the difference from the Fender replicas with those reflectors and Schaller tuners, right?

As for the hole, can you believe it? I was honest to God convinced that I had made that hole! Oh well, that gives me an excuse to continue tweaking it...

And what about the potentiometer? Do you have any clue, any suspicion of what it might be?

I must say, my friend, it has been a ride! I have to thank you, for you knowledge and tips, Tadashi for his magnificent book, Yasuhiro for that wonderful present, Noda for his incredible site full of information, YMI5150 for the linen phenolic pickup, Kyle for the Franky body and everyone that inspired me with their amazing jobs!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Simple trick...you lay them down..and tape the end of the smoke with a small piece of paint tape... i put 3 at a time myself..
    Hahaha, I thought of that... after I mad that mess!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hahaha, I thought of that... after I mad that mess!
    if you ever change the stings..use a 0000 steelwhool and the burn will be easy to partially remove, then you can do it right..

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Haha, thanks Jimi! Well, my plans include a trip to US, visit 5150 studios with my Franky and then, casually, switch it with the real one! Ed will never find out, after all he said that he couldn't tell the difference from the Fender replicas with those reflectors and Schaller tuners, right?
    I tell you, I believe that Ed could tell the difference even if you put him in a pitch black room with a Replica and the original and told him to walk out with the real Franky. He knows that guitar inside out after playing and messing around with it for over 32 years.

As for the hole, can you believe it? I was honest to God convinced that I had made that hole! Oh well, that gives me an excuse to continue tweaking it...
    Yeah, well, that's a never-ending process!

And what about the potentiometer? Do you have any clue, any suspicion of what it might be?
    No, and quite honestly, I really would not worry too much about it. It's much more important that it sounds good.

I must say, my friend, it has been a ride! I have to thank you, for you knowledge and tips, Tadashi for his magnificent book, Yasuhiro for that wonderful present, Noda for his incredible site full of information, YMI5150 for the linen phenolic pickup, Kyle for the Franky body and everyone that inspired me with their amazing jobs!
    Just take on another EVH project and you can experience all over again!
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

12.15.09 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way, what brand and color of paint did you use?
    I just finished a road worn relic 5150 and getting ready to put together.
    I'll post pics when its together.
    Last edited by ddauray; 11.17.09 at 02:10 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on scoring the Gotoh's! Of course I'm going after the same era with my replica, with the exception of the strap eyelet screws, I'm going to install them where Fender has them on their copies. Maybe someday there will be a VH Links Guitar Room convention, where we can all get together and show off our Frankies. I'm sure too, once I get mine done, there will be something for the guys to point out that I missed too! I never had seen that hole on the headstock where the retainer used to mount, there's always something else, isn't there? Enjoy your guitar, the research and labor makes owning it that much more special!
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lookin good. Man, those burns are hard to do. I'm doing them on a frankie and having tons of trouble getting the right look.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Next, I'm thinking of updating the potentiometer. I have a CTS one, but I'm considering a Bourns, because of its low friction. I like the CTS, but it does have friction and stuff like Romeo Delight and Somebody Get me a Doctor get a bit harder... Does anyone know what kind there was on the replica? In the GW March 2007 issue, Chip said the original was a DiMarzio pot. Jimi?
    One other thing -- about the pot's. I just ordered 6 different 500K pots from different sources, including 2 Bourns pots. I wanted to see who makes the one with the least turn resistance, since I hate ones that are hard to turn.

The 2 Bourns I ordered were specified as their 2 different 'guitar pot's', and let me tell ya, they are NOT low friction. The ones in the new Wolfgang are special low friction pot's... I don't think you can order them.

The CTS pot I got was about medium friction. The alpha pots are about the same, but are hit or miss.

I also ordered 3 pots from Weber (speakers and amps, etc). I don't know who makes theirs, but the 2 'guitar pot's' they sell are super high friction. The third is a solid shaft pot made to go in amps... and that one is the best I've found so far. Very low friction.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    if you ever change the stings..use a 0000 steelwhool and the burn will be easy to partially remove, then you can do it right..
    Will do that. I just changed the strings and they usually last a pretty long time with me!