Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Should VH have taken a break after Fair Warning??

Hiya my fellow linkers, as you can see today is a slow day for me, so I started thinking, you know that bands today ever they had any trouble lurking they all go a decide to take a BREAK, and disappear for a while and comeback two years later. I was thinking the maybe if VH would have taken a short break after the Fair Warning tour. Not go in the studio a do Diver Down and tour right after that. If the Van Halen we love and hold dear would have stayed together. I know there was trouble in there before all that. But I believe that the boys were extremely burn out by that time and the pressure to keep the machine rolling back in those days help created the tension that later came to the break up. I believe that the end of the FW tour was the beginning of the end for VH.
    I dunno maybe and it's just my wishful thinking that if they have all decided to separate for a while back then, we will have never have the drama we have now with those guys.
    But on the other hand... we will never have these debates either!!
    Anyway discuss if you want...
    LONG LIVE VH... DESTROY HATERS!!!! MODE ON

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

These guys were destined to break up....a "break" wouldn't have made any difference. Two massive ego's that were not meant to be together for too long.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,190 Times in 8,988 Posts

I agree, I think VH with both Dave and Ed together for thirty years was just never a reasonable expectation. They burned hot and they burned out.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

If you think about it, VH had a break after 1984 when Dave did his solo EP. I don't think breaking after Fair Warning would of altered the split up.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150 View Post
    If you think about it, VH had a break after 1984 when Dave did his solo EP. I don't think breaking after Fair Warning would of altered the split up.
    Yep, especially with all the dysfunction, the chemicals, and the youth factor. I like what Dave's Dreidel said: "They burned hot and they burned out."

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Very good topic!

Taking a break works for some bands. Would it have helped VH? Depends on the state of the band at the time. I understand about the 2 big egos but looking at other bands with large egos and somehow they made it work (ie. Rolling Stones, The Who).
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The music industry was a lot different back then I'd say, as they were Van Halen's employers and very much slave drivers pushing them to release new albums as quickly as possible in order to receive monies from their efforts. They knew they had a good thing with Halen, and very profitable. Dave said in an old interview that he always believed in "striking while the iron is still hot". With that said, he was ready to continue on with the business of making and recording music at the end of the 1984 tour and the VH Bros weren't. They wanted to take a break, and Dave nor Ted Templeman did. When they (VH Bros) couldn't be bothered, he went ahead and did his EP. Dave has to be creative all the time. The Halen's, not so much. You'll see that with their history as time wore on. Years between albums as an example.

However, I do believe they needed to take an extended break in there somewhere from the constant rotation of recording and touring behind it. But, by the same token, would we have got the same results had they done that? I dunno.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I remember reading many years ago that their plan was to take a break after Fair Warning. Warner Bros. was against it and asked them to release a single to hold the fans over which was Pretty Woman and based on the success of the single requested an album.

I am sure there are many variations of this story, but they all tend to say that a break was planned. I still think Dave would have left after 1984.
    Van Halen shows attended:
    08/21/91, 06/29/93
    08/02/93, 04/22/95
    07/18/95, 05/17/98
    07/25/98, 07/02/04
    11/11/04, 10/10/07
    03/09/12, 03/30/12

David Lee Roth shows attended:
    07/24/91, 05/29/02 - opening night
    09/06/03

Sammy Hagar shows:
    07/19/97, 06/04/99
    01/05/01, 09/09/01
    05/29/02 - opening night
    07/23/03, 07/04/06

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:10 PM
    Liked 551 Times in 383 Posts

DLR was not meant to be Van Halen's front man after 1984. Their sound had peaked and EVH had other ideas.

The band needed a break after Balance.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    These guys were destined to break up....a "break" wouldn't have made any difference. Two massive ego's that were not meant to be together for too long.
    "Break" in any sense delays the inevitable at best, whether it be a band or a relationship; IMHO.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    "Break" in any sense delays the inevitable at best, whether it be a band or a relationship; IMHO.
    Funny. I was just thinking about this last night while watching the US Festival. They we're a hard working band man. You look at the timeline between album and tour, and there was very little downtime away from each other. In retrospect, I'm surprised they did'nt fall out sooner given the personalities, namely between Eddie and Dave. Totally agree though, if they had taken a break, it would only have postponed the inevitable. We may have gotten one more album with Dave, but given Ed's change of direction musically that would probably be it.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

For the most part, VH has been on a break since 1998. How's that working out?

IMO, after 1984, Ed should have told DLR, go do Crazy From the Heat and make your movie. In the meantime, EVH should have become sober and either done an instrumental album or an All-Star album, a la Santana. Then maybe, they could have reconvened in a civil manner - but not likely.

On Fire Rare Painful Side Effect's Avatar
    Last Online

07.08.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1984 was such a huge hit that a split was inevitable. If it had been a Fair Warning style hit, they would have stayed together. After 1984, Dave was a much bigger star than the band. According to the Mick Jones interview posted recently, the only producer the band ever had opted to go with DLR rather than go with the reconstituted Van Halen. Clearly, DLR was regarded as the better commercial proposition. Given the personalities involved, they were done at that point.

The more interesting question to me is what was responsible for DLR subsequent commercial decline, and whether the band would have shared that fate had he stayed with them. Steve Vai mentioned in a recent interview that the tour he went on with DLR was 80% young female. Allowing for exaggeration, that's still not a demographic that's renown for its loyalty.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Painful Side Effect View Post
    1984 was such a huge hit that a split was inevitable. If it had been a Fair Warning style hit, they would have stayed together. After 1984, Dave was a much bigger star than the band. According to the Mick Jones interview posted recently, the only producer the band ever had opted to go with DLR rather than go with the reconstituted Van Halen. Clearly, DLR was regarded as the better commercial proposition. Given the personalities involved, they were done at that point.

The more interesting question to me is what was responsible for DLR subsequent commercial decline, and whether the band would have shared that fate had he stayed with them. Steve Vai mentioned in a recent interview that the tour he went on with DLR was 80% young female. Allowing for exaggeration, that's still not a demographic that's renown for its loyalty.

I think most guys at that time were drawn to VH because of Eddie. He was the coolest mofo going back then. If you were a teen/twenty guy following VH you had to think he was the coolest shit in music. He was VH, not Dave....as we came to find out.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Well that exactly what I was saying all along. If they have had the nerve to take a break maybe just maybe things would have been more civil between the Bro's Halen, Dave and Mike even Sammy though, and maybe these years we may have had the reunion of a lifetime instead of a half assed money grabber nostalgia act that we got.

Come to think of it they should have stopped back then, when Dave quit/fired and release solo albums and shit like that. Nothing against Sammy God Blessed him, but I honestly believe that the Brothers hired Sammy just to get back at him, they got a hit when 5150 got release and wanted that to go as far as it went. 11 years later the shit hit the fan and then this whole mess of a can of worms open and you all know where things are now.

Sometimes I hate destiny
    Last edited by ThruVHfanatic; 11.16.09 at 06:06 PM.
    LONG LIVE VH... DESTROY HATERS!!!! MODE ON