Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default G string problem

Hey all,

On my Gibson Les Paul Page standard I have trouble with the G string.

I wind strings once above the extra string that pops through the tuner hole then wind them several times underneath. I make sure it's tight above and pull a little tension on it as I wind it up to make sure the string winding is tight and even not all over lapping etc.

I put a little graphite on the nut before putting the string on.

When the strings are new and stretched out it stays in tune fine. I play for hours a day usually so after about a week or so the G string starts acting up. No other strings do this. It goes out of tune. Not quite a half step but enough to be obvious. When it starts to do this I try to pull on it make sure it's tight and retune, it works for a bit but the real cure is to restring it again.

I generally put new strings on every two weeks cause it's my main axe and the strings get played a lot.

Still why the G string and what could be the problem? The other main non floyd nut locked type axes I do use are Strats and I don't have the same problem with them.

The tuner seems very stable and tight. I've made sure it's tight and clean and only the G string does this. After the strings get to a certain age/wear it just goes out of tune to the point it's a hindrance. Will do it in the middle of a song after re tuning it.

Again the problem doesn't happen when the strings are new. It's not a coincidence. What is the problem? Needs more graphite? The nut is the culprit? Bad tuner? I've consider swapping the G tuner with the high E to see what happens but don't want to get into anything before asking some advice.

Any recommendations or info? Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I play for hours a day usually so after about a week or so the G string starts acting up.
    That's what she said:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    That's what she said:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

lol dude

Nice pic, when seeing your name and knowing the thread title I had expected to see "that pic" of Ed's head on a chic with a G string. lol Please don't. LOL

Peace
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Atomic it sounds like yout tuning peg might be causing the problem. You have to figure you throw on a set of new strings and tune up and all is fine but the tension will happen very slowly and after a session might slip just a hair but enough to put it out.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by straycat113 View Post
    Atomic it sounds like yout tuning peg might be causing the problem. You have to figure you throw on a set of new strings and tune up and all is fine but the tension will happen very slowly and after a session might slip just a hair but enough to put it out.
    Thanks stray.

When strings are new and stretched out I can play and abuse it, leads chords etc and it stays true. Once the strings are aged the prob starts. You hit a chord and it's out. Re tune, play a few chords or a little lead or bend and bam out again.

So any advice on correcting it? You think I just need a new tuner or ?

I have made sure everything that can be tightened is but not over tight..and it doesn't "look or feel" any worse than the others.

They are brass Grover tuners. Came stock on the guitar.

I don't have time to take a close up pic right now but this is the axe and tuners.

This is driving me nuts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Multiple windings only offer more string material to come unwound.
    Instead of leaving multiple windings, try looping the string through the tuner hole, then wrap under and over. Then when tuning the string to pitch, the string will lock itself.

If that doesn't work, maybe try using a wound G-string.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Dino so just enough string to be over once and under once? I don't have a ton on there but maybe 3 times under. What do you mean by looping?

I'm looking online for replacement Grover tuners that match and it appears whats on the guitar is not a stock item easily found on their website. The fun intensifies. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Dino so just enough string to be over once and under once? I don't have a ton on there but maybe 3 times under. What do you mean by looping?

I'm looking online for replacement Grover tuners that match and it appears whats on the guitar is not a stock item easily found on their website. The fun intensifies. lol
    I'll try to explain ...
    First, feed the string through the tuner hole.
    Then, do a 1/2 wrap towards the inside of the headstock, and go underneath the string, and then over the top of the string.
    Then when you tune the guitar to pitch, the tuner shaft will automatically turn and lock the string in place.

Stringing the guitar this way will eliminate access string material on the peg and should eliminate any chance of the string "slipping" out of tune.

If you're still unsure, let me know and I'll try to post some pics to help illustrate what I'm talking about.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I second what Dino said. The reason you're not having the problems when the strings a relatively new, is that even though you've stretched them so as they don't drop pitch, there's still enough elasticity left in the string to allow a little give and rebound. After many hours of play, that give is gone, so it starts to have a much more positive pull directly on the peg. Doing what Dino said, going through the peg hole, then wrapping around it, will lock it tight. When I do it, I kind of pull the string end in the opposite direction I'm winding too, and on the G string and lower, I never put more than 3 windings on the peg, especially on a Paul or Gretsch, where the 3 a side tends to put more diagonal pressure on the nut on the G and D string slots where they bind. The graphite is a great idea BTW.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You may also want to try a wound G string.
    You may have to compromise on the gauge, but the windings should also help reduce slippage.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had some tuning issues with my Les Paul, with added Bigsby . I replaced the tuners with a set of locking Sperzels , and the difference in tuning stability, was incredible !!

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Here's what Dino was talking about:

"Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Dino is correct in what he is saying but there has to be a problem with the tuner as that should not be happening at all. And unless Atomic wants to play Jazz standards a wound G is going to be a bitch on bends.

Dino if he takes the cover off the tuner there is a philips head screw correct? Would tightning it have any affect as I cant remember. But I had a problem similer to this many years ago with an acoustic and I cant remember how it was solved but I did not have to change tuners. Atomic that is one ass kicking Page Les Paul by the way.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by straycat113 View Post
    Dino is correct in what he is saying but there has to be a problem with the tuner as that should not be happening at all. And unless Atomic wants to play Jazz standards a wound G is going to be a bitch on bends.

Dino if he takes the cover off the tuner there is a philips head screw correct? Would tightning it have any affect as I cant remember. But I had a problem similer to this many years ago with an acoustic and I cant remember how it was solved but I did not have to change tuners. Atomic that is one ass kicking Page Les Paul by the way.
    Actually, there was a time when I prefered a wound 3rd (G string).
    It delivers a nice tone and great resonance.
    And I've seen them in relatively light gauges too (18g).
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ngs?sku=100190

As for the tuner ...
    I'm not sure what you'll find if you remove the cover but ...
    on some tuners, you can unscrew the tuner button, remove the nylon washer, re-install the tuner button and tighten the button screw which helps create more resistance.

Has it been determined if the string is binding anywhere?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Thanks for the help guys. I don't have time now to try to restring it but will try the loop this week and see how that works out.

As far as if it's determined if the string is binding anywhere, you mean sticking?
    Between the nut and bridge their are no probs that I can tell. Besides adjusting the intonation, action, and truss rod I'm not much of a guitar tech type so I'll try your advice and see how it goes.

If the looping method will cure it I'll be tickled. Still it perplexes me why it's only the G string. The B and high E are always solid and I don't have this problem on my strats and wind them the same way. I have a mex made strat @ work I practice with when time allows and sometimes strings sit on that thing for months if I don't break one and still even then it's not a blatant prob like this.

Well ty again for help and advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]