Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Default Steve Vai on That Metal Show

Not sure where to post this one. Vai was on That Metal Show. Said he had nothing but respect for EVH. Went as far as to say "How can I compete with Ed?" Touching considered most guitarists see Steve as playing circles around Ed.

Also said that he and Roth should get back together and tour with Chickenfoot. Cool stuff. Should be showing all week for anyone who wants to check it out.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:04 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

I think im watching it right now -

http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?...922&vid=454732
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:04 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

yeah that link is the show your talking about, pretty funny chickenfoot interview in there too.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Awesome man tyvm for posting this. I enjoyed it!

Vai is the best. Great guy, one of my fav players.

Great show! tyty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I like his idea for CockHead touring with Chickenfoot.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

I've seen "That Metal Show" very few times, and this was the best one, but Vai is in my Top 3 guitarists of all-time, and he's such a cool kat - great insights! Thanks for posting this link... I think it's kool that he still has luv for Roth...
    Last edited by dirtymovies; 11.15.09 at 07:06 AM. Reason: 'cause

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

His impersonation of David Coverdale and David Lee Roth was hilarious. (when comparing what it was like working with two different Dave's)

His DLR impression was classic.

I had a chance to talk to Vai personally last January at a seminar and I told him how big of an influence he has been for me over the last 20 years. He was so nice (as usual) and actually took the time to sit and chat for a moment. I asked him at one point what it was REALLY like having he opportunity to record and tour with DLR. And he just sat back and smiled. He said "what can you say man? It was the eighties! Those were great times!"

As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I almost go the impression from the Chickenfoot segment was that Mike is done with VH even if Ed calls him. Sam is definately done IMO.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I almost go the impression from the Chickenfoot segment was that Mike is done with VH even if Ed calls him. Sam is definately done IMO.
    I agree.

I also got the impression that Sam wants Mike to have some sort of closure with the original line up. Did you hear him mention a 'real VH reunion'?

That was classless of him to say that.

Right?
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    I agree.

I also got the impression that Sam wants Mike to have some sort of closure with the original line up. Did you hear him mention a 'real VH reunion'?

That was classless of him to say that.

Right?
    It's kind of funny. I believe that the folks that say "Sam needs to STFU" fall into two distinct groups: There's (A) people like LLFHS and me that say it sarcastically against the people that (B) say it in all seriousness. And it has it's roots in the same argument that has gone on since sometime in 1986, which is of course "Sam or Dave?" The same people that get their panties in a wad when ever Hagar opens his mouth about the past with VH are the same folks that dismiss CF as being "Van Halen-Lite" or worse. The fact is, there is no viable VH/CF comparison to be made other than the groups have the same instrumentation. After that it's all apples and oranges, yet nonetheless the baloney continues. Even though the fractured nature of the debate reached diminishing returns years ago, it still goes on unabated.

The folks that knock Hagar for his commentary overlook a few simple things. First, he's more often than not correct, if at times a bit overtly enthusiastic. And this enthusiasm comes from the notion that above all else, he is a fan of Van Halen. The continuing remarks about a "real VH reunion" point to this, as does his disappointment in how he feels that EVH let not only everyone else, but himself (Edward) down by how he's comported himself in the past few years.

The truth is, the only way for Van Halen to have worked was for them to lick their wounds after the failure of VH III, and soldier on with Cherone. Because the band could continue to perform the music of all eras of VH, the future was unlimited by the baggage of the past. Obviously that didn't happen, so we have a situation in which nobody is truly happy.

The only way this mess will ever be resolved is for all the singers to work on a farewell project, be it one last record or failing that, a goodbye tour. Yeah, a tour would be steeped in nostalgia and no different than something like the Police did, but it would cater to the entire fan base. And after all these years of wasted time (and with the future fading fast), the idea of tying up the loose ends while everyone is still in shape, let alone still alive enough to do so is just common sense.

So naturally, it will probably never happen.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11.15.09 at 05:15 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It's kind of funny. I believe that the folks that say "Sam needs to STFU" fall into two distinct groups: There's (A) people like LLFHS and me that say it sarcastically against the people that (B) say it in all seriousness. And it has it's roots in the same argument that has gone on since sometime in 1986, which is of course "Sam or Dave?" The same people that get their panties in a wad when ever Hagar opens his mouth about the past with VH are the same folks that dismiss CF as being "Van Halen-Lite" or worse. The fact is, there is no viable VH/CF comparison to be made other than the groups have the same instrumentation. After that it's all apples and oranges, yet nonetheless the baloney continues. Even though the fractured nature of the debate reached diminishing returns years ago, it still goes on unabated.

The folks that knock Hagar for his commentary overlook a few simple things. First, he's more often than not correct, if at times a bit overtly enthusiastic. And this enthusiasm comes from the notion that above all else, he is a fan of Van Halen. The continuing remarks about a "real VH reunion" point to this, as does his disappointment in how he feels that EVH let not only everyone else, but himself (Edward) down by how he's comported himself in the past few years.

The truth is, the only way for Van Halen to have worked was for them to lick their wounds after the failure of VH III, and soldier on with Cherone. Because the band could continue to perform the music of all eras of VH, the future was unlimited by the baggage of the past. Obviously that didn't happen, so we have a situation in which nobody is truly happy.

The only way this mess will ever be resolved is for all the singers to work on a farewell project, be it one last record or failing that, a goodbye tour. Yeah, a tour would be steeped in nostalgia and no different than something like the Police did, but it would cater to the entire fan base. And after all these years of wasted time (and with the future fading fast), the idea of tying up the loose ends while everyone is still in shape, let alone still alive enough to do so is just sense.

this logic is lucide, sane and well thought so no, it'll never happen.

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Craig, you're still a f'n nut!
    I'm okay with that.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TopTimi View Post
    Craig, you're still a f'n nut!
    I'm okay with that.
    Gimme a couple more days, and I'll respond to yer PM. Something about you currently being a responsible adult has set even my fractured universe off kilter.

In the meantime, I'm watchin' a rerun of Ronin and a football game.

Nutz right back at ya, bonehead.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

The only way this mess will ever be resolved is for all the singers to work on a farewell project, be it one last record or failing that, a goodbye tour. Yeah, a tour would be steeped in nostalgia and no different than something like the Police did, but it would cater to the entire fan base. And after all these years of wasted time (and with the future fading fast), the idea of tying up the loose ends while everyone is still in shape, let alone still alive enough to do so is just common sense.

I don't agree with your thoughts on this. The two Sam camps. If their are two camps it's Sam apologists and then another group which contains people who love, like, hate or couldn't care less about the guy.

No matter what side of the fence we are on when someone says something that is cringe worthy it's something that will be discussed on a band forum. Many people here gave Sam a pass on the Led Zeppelin thing. It's not that I or someone else that thought it was cringe worthy is cherry picking for something to say anti Sam..it's just Sam says some dumb stuff from time to time. When asked about that Zeppelin comment the members of CF all basically cringed and wanted to forget about it and Sam tried to laugh it off that he was totally wasted when he said it. It's not that anyone has their panties in a wad. Sam is not perfect, none of us are and when he says something cringe worthy it's going to be talked about, just like it's talked about when Ed, Dave, Al, Val, whoever VH related says something that would have been better unsaid.

It's that simple. No one wants to crucify the guy or whatever. It's a band forum. This stuff is going to be talked about. It's not that people have a banner to wave. When Dave said "let Bono/U2 save the world were going to save one city @ a time" I cringed. When Ed said..."we didn't have a bass player around so I asked Wolf" I cringed and same with Sam saying the Zep thing, or some of the ranting petty VH stuff he says.

Now a difference could be ...well Sam is right in most of what he says. But is he? The latest interview that is in question when he talks about VH. When he says "I'm sorry Ed I won't sing perfect". He's right? He was perfect? When he says it would be easy to join VH right now, would just take an ass kissing phone call.. is he so sure? Are you?

It's just something to talk about. When it was the other way around. When VH was out on a major successful tour and CF was in the works and something odd was said...not many serious people agreed...yeah EVH had a right to photoshop Mike out. People may have had their own opinion on whether or not they liked VH4 but I don't think anyone gave Ed a true pass on his silliness and bs comments though VH was riding high.

Again it's just something to talk about because it stands out and this is a band forum.

As far as what someone else said about Mike's reaction to a VH reunion. My take wasn't that we had no interest. My take was that he's happy now, there are some bridges that need mending and by looking @ his watch I think the main thought he had was "I'm not holding my breath, I thought that train already left the station".
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 11.15.09 at 10:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

Is it just me, or is Vai starting to look a little like: