Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default YMI5150? 5150 Build 1

I'm diverting my attention from Franky builds to try the 5150.

I've got a basswood body and 1 pc maple neck from Kyle (great work as usual).

Here it is so far. The paint is matched Schwinn red and is PERFECT (urethane).

Cheers

Custom guitars and high end point to point handwired 68 Marshall SuperLeads

www.holbrooktone.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/holbrooktone

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

can't wait to see when your done!
    the 5150 is my favorite evh axe!!
    i grew up on live without a net and the japan 1989 show so ive always loved the 5150 guitar!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

5150 is probably harder to get right than Franky. The lines are straight and there's a lot less room for mistakes. If the lines don't match, there's not much you can do to disguise it. Still, it's a great work to do!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    5150 is probably harder to get right than Franky. The lines are straight and there's a lot less room for mistakes.
    I actually think that the Franky's random lines and shapes make it much harder ro replicate than the relatively straight-forward lines of the 5150 design. For me, patterns involving straight lines only are the easiest. I don't just look at the placement of the stripes, I look at and rely on, the resulting shapes created WITHIN the intersecting stripes for correct placement. Make sense?
    WGAF?!!

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I actually think that the Franky's random lines and shapes make it much harder ro replicate than the relatively straight-forward lines of the 5150 design. For me, patterns involving straight lines only are the easiest. I don't just look at the placement of the stripes, I look at and rely on, the resulting shapes created WITHIN the intersecting stripes for correct placement. Make sense?
    Totally. What I ment was, with Franky you can bend the line a bit here, move it a mm there, add the hole just a bit more over here... and with the 5150 you can't do that! You're either on the spot or not! On the other hand, there are a lot less details to get right! Not that many holes, except below the foream section, where the hookeye thingies are. Differentbests, for sure. Ergonomically, I like it better than a regular strat body.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I just have to say you guys just blow my mind with the level of talent a lot of guys have. I can play them but damn the luthier talent pool runs deep here.lol

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say it was much more difficult than I anticipated it to be. there are so many little shapes inside the bodywork and you try to capture as many as possible. it's a different challenge than Frank, where the second layer relies on the accuracy of the first and there's a ton of mysterious black exposed prior to shooting red.
    One thing that was nice was the front pattern being independent of the back.

I'm shooting for pre LWAN relic work. it aged so quickly. This one will have all the burns that were there early on as well as the dirty fretboard.

The funny motivator for me to take this project on was knowing I had the correct paint source. Getting the right shade of red on Frank is a challenge in itself.

Cheers
    Custom guitars and high end point to point handwired 68 Marshall SuperLeads

www.holbrooktone.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/holbrooktone

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I found quite difficult too. I built one a long time ago, and thought to myself..."this is gonna be a cynch!" Haha! Not so much. Mine was done before the internet took off too, so trying to do it from a relatively small cash of photos that showed almost every detail was pretty scarce. I pulled it off fairly well, but from time to time I noticed errors here and there.
    For one, I put the red on a bit too thick, so it got a little too red. and I misplaced a thicker line for the real skinny one Totally missed that! Aside from the hook holes for the strap, I could only really guesstimate as to the hole placement on the back given the two versions of his table tray contraption. It still looked cool. I also handcut the spacetape 5150 and stars. There used to be a label maker shop down from my place, and there'd always be offcuts of all that prizmatic tape in all colours. The knob I pilfered from a old motor speed control from a sawmill, but it was exact.
    The neck....well I had to make do with what was available. it was a 22 fret maple Performance Guitar neck w. skunkstripe. The headstock profile was pretty bang on, but it was a bit smaller than Ed's. Have fun with your project though. It's definately my favourite of Ed's guitars. Wish now I still had mine!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.