Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

Default I need your help! Should I?

Okay guys, I need some help making a decision.

As you know, I own a 5150 Combo, which is a great amp. For any of you that have known me for awhile, you also know that I have a dibilitating case of G.A.S. I've been through alot of gear. So, here's the deal:

There is a Randall RM100 Combo used at my local music store. If you are unfamiliar with this amp, it uses 3 different pre-amp modules that plug into the front of the amp. These modules can be swapped out to whatever amp sound you want. The one in question currently has the SL(SuperLead) module, the XTC(Bogner Extacy) module, and the Recto (Mesa Dual-Rectifier) Module. There are many other modules available, from Fender Twin, to Plexi, to special George Lynch and Kirk Hammitt modules.

The amp is in great condition, to tears or scuffs, and the components look fine. The amp also has the added benefit of sounding great. Other features of the amp that I really like are:

-If a pre-amp stops working, you've got two other ones to use. The pre-amp tubes are on the pre-amp modules, except for one, which is located in the amp chassis. All the pre-amps share this one pre-amp tube.

-There is a series, and a parallel effects loop. I've always been a fan of the parallel effects loop that allows you to mix the wet signal into the un-interrupted dry signal.

-This amp has a fuse for each power tube. If a tube goes bad, it blows the fuse, and takes that tube out of the circuit. It also lights up an led by that tube, to let you know it's shot. This enables you to carry an extra set of power tubes with you, and change them out if a power tube goes out at a gig.

-The amp has bias adjusments and test points that allows you to adjust your bias yourself. You can bias your amp hotter or colder, depending on what sound you like better.

-Finally, you can use either EL34s, or 6L6s in the power section. There are actually more tubes you can use, but these would be my choices.

From the research I've done, there don't seem to be any reliability issues with this model. This amp seems to usually sell anywhere from $1300, to $2100. Modules for this amp sell for about $200.

The deal that I can make is this:
    My 5150 Combo, plus $300, and the Randall is mine.

Should I, or shouldn't I?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've liked the idea of the Randall being versatile...I'm kinda suprised that this amp isn't discussed more. I know that they have a Brown module (dunno if thats the proper name). Are you going to play out with it? If so, I would say get it! If you are just a bedroom player, I say stick with the 5150, its not broken, so why try fixing?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NO...

ok..why no!..not a fan of the RANDALL tone...3 channel is way to much for me. But on the other hand..i would'nt have ever buy a 5150 either..LOL.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    i've liked the idea of the Randall being versatile...I'm kinda suprised that this amp isn't discussed more. I know that they have a Brown module (dunno if thats the proper name). Are you going to play out with it? If so, I would say get it! If you are just a bedroom player, I say stick with the 5150, its not broken, so why try fixing?
    I mostly play at home now, but sometimes our old band gets back together for benefits. I would like to maintain an amp that is giggable(is that a word?)

As well as the versatility of being able to change pre-amps, the main reason I'm considering this amp is the ability and ease of biasing the amp, and the ability to use whatever power tubes I like.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty jazzed about the prospect of getting it right now, but I've felt this way before. I traded my first 5150 Combo for a Mesa F-50. After that, I went through a F-30, a Mesa Nomad, a Vox, and a Budda Superdrive 18, all to end up back with a 5150 Combo. I'm just wondering if I'm caught up in the moment and only seeing the good, or if this would actually be a great move.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Nevermind. I played my 5150 combo, and decided that I would hang onto it. Got the new yellow Ibanez RG instead.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Nevermind. I played my 5150 combo, and decided that I would hang onto it. Got the new yellow Ibanez RG instead.
    Man, that happens to me a lot. I'll read up on something, and be like, wow, that would be great to have. But then I play through my 5150 combo, and am like, I'm just not unhappy with this amp. So that usually kills any GAS I may be experiencing.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Good move. I actually had an RM 100 for a while and, while I could get useable sounds out of it, i never could get anything that I really liked.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

Not to mention that the RG350M is a kick-ass guitar. Yeah, it's made in Indonesia, but it still plays great. I'll probably end up eventually doing a pickup swap on it.

I really like that it has a maple neck with dot inlays. The color reminds me of an old '89 JEM.