Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wyoming hunter bags deer, then hungry lion

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_odd_unusual_hunt

Wyoming hunter bags deer, then hungry lion

SHERIDAN, Wyo. – Retired orthopedic surgeon Chris Smith thought his hunt was over when he bagged a white tail deer with a bow and arrow near Sheridan. Because the light was fading, he decided to return the next day to recover the deer. But when he returned Wednesday morning, the carcass had been covered by grass and bush — which is what mountain lions typically do.

Smith, who was unarmed, then saw the big cat about 25 yards away.

He backed away slowly and went to call the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Officials said he had two choices — return with friends, making noise to scare the animal away, or purchase a mountain lion hunting license.

He opted for the license, and dropped the lion in one shot.
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you don’t have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Don’t forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

He had a third choice... leave the poor damn thing alone to live in it's habitat as nature intended. Dick!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

So this asshat basically baited the lion.
    He knew it would feed on the deer, had time to go and buy a license
    and come back. Fuck him.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    He had a third choice... leave the poor damn thing alone to live in it's habitat as nature intended. Dick!
    yep...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

When archery hunting it is a regular practice to let the deer go over night if you hit it late in the day. If you wound it, even fatally, you could push the deer for miles by tracking it and never catching up to it. The hunter did the right thing obtaining a a permit to shoot the cat and retrieve that quarry he was after initially, call him what you will but he played this right. If any of you are hunters you'll know that what this sportsman did is ok.

He did not intentionally bait the mountain lion, he was going after the prey he sought from the beginning of his hunt, which he was afraid to recover because of the "lion". This man did nothing wrong, if there was a severe population shortage of mountain lions in this area the state would not have given him permission to shoot the "lion"!
    Last edited by Judgement Day; 11.08.09 at 10:21 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred."

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
    When archery hunting it is a regular practice to let the deer go over night if you hit it late in the day. If you wound it, even fatally, you could push the deer for miles by tracking it and never catching up to it. The hunter did the right thing obtaining a a permit to shoot the cat and retrieve that quarry he was after initially, call him what you will but he played this right. If any of you are hunters you'll know that what this sportsman did is ok.

He did not intentionally bait the mountain lion, he was going after the prey he sought from the beginning of his hunt, which he was afraid to recover because of the "lion". This man did nothing wrong, if there was a severe population shortage of mountain lions in this area the state would not have given him permission to shoot the "lion"!

See now, I dont get the logic of this. To attack a wild animal with an arrow, let it die slowly and then kill yet another animal who in the wild would have used first animal for food as is it's nature, simply to collect his original trophy.

All way round that seems fucked up to me. I wouldnt call him a sportsman, I'd call him a barbarian. There was no need for either of these animals to die.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I'm an avid hunter......and this one's kind of a tough call. First of all, no where in the article was the word "trophy" used. If this hunter is like me, he hunted the deer for food. I know using words like "attack" and " barbarian" help to get your point of view across Angie but believe me, the method in which the mountain lion would have killed the deer if he had gotten to it first would be far more savage than using a bow & arrow. Humans have hunted animals for food with a bow since the dawn of mankind. Alot of non-hunters don't realize that humans have always been involved in the "predator/prey" balance of nature. The part of this story that I part ways with is if I came back and found the deer already partially eaten and a mountain lion roaming about, as pissed as I would have been, I would have just left and let the lion have it instead of going back and shooting the lion because I wouldn't eat the lion. We have this sort of problem with coyotes here in the Northeast. And as cruel as it may seem, Judgement Day is right about not pushing the deer in the oncoming darkness.
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

The point of archery hunting is not for the animal to die slowly, but for the hunter to go back to simpler times. It is much harder than hunting with a rifle. During what is considered regular deer season here in Pennsylvania, you have two weeks to kill a deer of either species with a rifle, which you can sight in to about 300 yards, give or take accuracy. With a bow you can usually shoot, at max about 40 to 50 yards. which the season is about a month long.

If you would like to call if barbaric you can, but the idea of the hunt is if you wound or fatally hit an animal, you should stay put for roughly an hour before tracking it. If you jump up immediately after your shot you have a chance of pushing the deer or other game animal into cover/distance that the hunter or his party will never find the wounded animal. This is not meant to be cruel, just the way things have been done for thousands of years. If you are going to hunt with a bow and arrow, what this man did was the right thing. What happened with the mountain lion is an unfortunate circumstance.

SEA, I can't really get into the whole idea of hunting here in the US, but it becomes something much larger than just going out into the wood and killing something. If the populations of deer and other animals could be controlled by natural means I would quit hunting altogether, but unfortunately, the settlers of this nation made sure that we cannot do that.

In the Eastern part of the U.S. there are no natural predators that can control the deer herd so hunters have to do it. If we don't the forest and the deer themselves will suffer. The forest will become a wasteland, devoid of all life including deer, elk, bear, turkey, etc. These game species will eat themselves out of house and home. It is our job to help regulate these species and make sure that doesn't happen.

What happened with this particular hunter is unfortunate, but put in his situation I see no other outcome. Obviously, the authorities feel that there are enough Mt. Lions and deer that one less is not going to make a large impact on the ecosystem.

The main issue here is that the hunter that killed both of these animals, did not intentionally set about to do so, but circumstances arose that he had to kill the mountain lion to recover his kill

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

I understand about population control. I can even get hunting deer but I dont understand the need for the bows and arrows lark other than to play He-Man. The whole point about human progress is that we learn new skills in all manner of things including how to keep animal populations managed without causing unnecessary harm to the animal and not killing in a way that leaves an animal to suffer. What enrages me further is the need to kill the lion at all.

The lion might have killed the deer in a vicious way. That is the nature of the beast and he is the deers natural preditor in the wild. We as humans have a bigger responsibility than the lion. We can go to a grocery store. The lion cant and there was no need to kill that lion whatsoever other than to collect that trophy... and yes, it is a trophy. He had no great need and I mean 'need' not 'want' to collect his 'kill'. He wouldnt starve, his family wouldnt starve if he couldnt get it.

The other outcome you mention would have been to just walk away and leave the deer for the lion. Leaving that animal wouldnt have changed that hunters life one iota other than to hurt his pride.

I just cannot see the joy or thrill in killing any animal for sport.
    Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 11.09.09 at 01:55 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]