Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default Kicking, Punching, Attempted Neck-Snapping: Welcome To Women's Collegiate Soccer

BYU soccer: New Mexico player suspended after game skirmishes

By Martin Renzhofer

The Salt Lake Tribune

Women's collegiate soccer is a rough-and-tumble game, filled with fouls and occasional injuries. Thursday's Mountain West Conference Soccer Championship semifinal game between the eventual 1-0 winner BYU and New Mexico went beyond the typical trips and elbows.

The most flagrant moment occurred when New Mexico defender Elizabeth Lambert grabbed Cougar forward Kassidy Shumway's hair and yanked her violently to the turf inside the 18-yard box.

As a result, New Mexico soccer coach Kit Vela suspended Lambert indefinitely. She is prohibited from participating in all team practices, competition and conditioning activities.

"Liz's conduct on the field against BYU was completely inappropriate," UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs said. "There is no way to defend her actions."

Lambert apologized on Friday.

"I am deeply and wholeheartedly regretful for my actions," she said in a statement. "My actions were uncalled for. I let my emotions get the best of me in a heated situation. I am especially sorry to BYU and the BYU women's soccer players that were personally affected by my actions. I have the utmost respect for the BYU women's soccer program and its players."

Game official Joe Pimentel didn't see the foul. Later he gave Lambert, who also traded rabbit jabs and elbows with Cougar forward Carlee Payne, a yellow card for kicking a dead ball into the face of a BYU player, who was prone on the ground.

"Liz is a quality student-athlete, but in this instance her actions clearly crossed the line of fair play and good sportsmanship," said Vela.

Javan Hedlund, associate commissioner of the Mountain West Conference, said the game's sportsmanship and the officiating is under review.

"There were some unfortunate things that happened," BYU coach Jennifer Rockwood said. "We're proud that our players played hard. We hope to more forward and play for the championship tomorrow."

BYU (17-2-2) and San Diego State (13-3-5) meet Saturday at noon in the MWC championship game at South Stadium on the BYU campus.

"The Mountain West Conference does what it always does when it involves sportsmanship, we always get as much information -- video, reports -- as we can. We will not comment until a course of action is warranted."

Hedlund said the MWC will determine if any disciplinary action, including reviewing the officiating, is needed. Later the MWC issued a statement, which read in part:

"The MWC commends the University of New Mexico for its prompt response. The decisive manner in which it was handled is consistent with the MWC Sportsmanship Policy and the principles under which the Conference conducts intercollegiate athletics.

"The MWC will continue its internal review of the overall dynamic involved in the match."

Rockwood was unsure how the incident would affect Saturday's championship game.

"You can never control the officiating or what they call," she said. " We want to make sure that this doesn't become a distraction."

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13729997?source=most_viewed
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11.06.09 at 02:47 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

Totally unsportsmanlike!

I'm surprised nobody from BYU didn't just pound that nutjob into the ground.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Elizabeth Lambert: Parents and soccer fans react to ponytail takedown

November 9, 10:03 AMAtlanta Northside Family & Parenting Examiner Jackie Kass

Parents and soccer fans are reacting to Elizabeth Lambert’s ponytail takedown against a Brigham Young University fellow player. Parents and soccer fans are expressing their outrage over Lambert’s surprisingly poor sportsmanship on a new Facebook page called “Ban Elizabeth Lambert of New Mexico From College Soccer.” During a soccer game which pitted the University of New Mexico against Brigham Young University, Elizabeth Lambert delivered a series of punches, trips and aggressive moves, but soccer fans were most appalled by her infamous ponytail takedown. For her behavior, Elizabeth Lambert received a yellow card during the game, but has since been indefinitely suspended from playing soccer.

Soccer fans across the globe are expressing their displeasure with this kind of aggressive play. There are currently 985 members who joined the new Facebook group. Many members expressed anger directed at not just Elizabeth Lambert, but also towards her coaches for allowing her to stay in the game. Debbie DeLong Shea said, “What a horrible example to set for our young players! Her coach & the refs should face stiff penalties for allowing or even encouraging this type of unsportsmanlike & dangerous behavior! I am completely disgusted...” Beth Phillips Holmwood also chimed in, “Elizabeth Lambert's behavior is a disgrace to the game. This is thug soccer, and hopefully the officials will impose a very stiff penalty - like lifetime suspension - for her behavior. She should be ashamed of herself.” Angie Boyd MacFarlane continued the sentiments by saying, “She is disgusting. Not the kind of example we need for girls in sports. I agree that her coaches were at least a little responsible for not taking her out of the game! I think therapy is in order.”

The UNM head coach suspended Lambert indefinitely on Friday, and the Mountain West Conference has started an investigation. Elizabeth Lambert’s punishment can range from a one-game suspension to an entire season suspension. Lambert has since apologized for her aggressive behavior and said, “I am deeply and wholeheartedly regretful for my actions. I let my emotions get the best of me in a heated situation. I take full responsibility for my actions and accept any punishment felt necessary from the coaching staff and UNM administration.”

Parents can use this incident and turn it into a teachable moment. While all sports are competitive, especially at the college level, this kind of out-of-control behavior on the playing field is simply unacceptable. Coaches should instill a passion for the game over the actual competition itself at an early age. The best coaches are those who look beyond the competition aspect and stress good sportsmanship, camaraderie and a love for the game. These qualities will help mold a child into a respectful and responsible adult.

http://www.examiner.com/x-3958-Atlan...takedown-video
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:30 AM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

That was shocking. I've played in some dirty games before but who knew that a girls game would take the cake. She makes Zidane look like a pussy in this video.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2