Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Eruption ddzavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.08.03
    Location
    Northeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,258
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

    04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts


    Donor

    Default Brian Wilson/ Beach boy

    I'm really fortunate and looking forward to see Brian Wilson and his band next week here at the Kirby Center in Wilkes-Barre. Got 2nd row, dead center. I've read and seen that his band is real tight as they play everything form his solo stuff and of course the Beach Boys. Can't wait to hear Heros and Villains and In my Room live. Never saw the Beach Boys live. I always enjoyed there music and still listen to Pet Sounds on occasion. I'm glad he's happy, touring and playing his music. I'll definitely post a review on this one. Hell, I'm looking forward to California Girls too.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Look, if you believe that the Van Halen story or the upbringing of the Jackson family was a tale of dysfunction, by all means pick up Tim White's "The Nearest Far Away Place: Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the Southern California Experience". Probably one of the most compelling and unsettling sagas of a rock n roll group ever written. I'm not kidding, this book is a real eye opener not only about the music business, but about those that naively allow themselves to get ground under by it's wheels.

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I had the pleasure of catching Brian Wilson during his Pet Sounds tour with my dad...I think we were third row center. It was an incredible experience. The band is as fine a group of musicians as you will ever see. It's not that they're "tight." These guys are insane. You'll see.

    Enjoy the show and yeah, take up Chef on his suggestion. That is a fine book and I'm not sure enough people really understand Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys history. For me, it makes his music, hell his survival, all the more to appreciate.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  4. #4
    Sinner's Swing! Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Big "D"
    Posts
    3,195
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Likes
    7
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Look, if you believe that the Van Halen story or the upbringing of the Jackson family was a tale of dysfunction, by all means pick up Tim White's "The Nearest Far Away Place: Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the Southern California Experience". Probably one of the most compelling and unsettling sagas of a rock n roll group ever written. I'm not kidding, this book is a real eye opener not only about the music business, but about those that naively allow themselves to get ground under by it's wheels.

    thx for the recommendation. I haven't read that one. I'll have to pick it up.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

  5. #5
    Eruption ddzavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.08.03
    Location
    Northeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,258
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

    04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Yep Craig, Thank you. I'll ask the wife to get that one for Xmas. I hope I'm allowed to grab some photos tommorow night. Should be a great show.

  6. #6
    Eruption ddzavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.08.03
    Location
    Northeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,258
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

    04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts


    Donor

    Default set list for W-B

    SET 1

    Do It Again
    Dance, Dance, Dance
    Girl Don't Tell Me
    Catch A Wave
    Surfer Girl
    In My Room
    Salt Lake City
    Custom Machine
    Desert Drive
    Please Let Me Wonder
    Don't Worry Baby
    I Get Around
    Heroes And Villians
    Roll Around Heaven
    California Girls

    Set 2
    Hearts
    The Little Girl I Once Knew
    All Summer Long
    Darlin
    Add Some Music
    Shut Down
    Little Deuce Coupe
    Do You Wanna Dance
    Sloop John B
    Wouldn't It Be nice
    God only Knows
    Midnight's Another Day
    I'm Going Home
    Southern California
    Good Vibrations

    Encores

    Little Saint Nick
    Johnny B. Goode
    Help Me Rhonda
    Babara Ann
    Surfin U.S.A.
    Fun, Fun, Fun
    Love and Mercy


    What a stellar show, No Pics. should have, could have, didn't. If you get a chance to see Brian Wilson and this band don't miss the opportunity. The harmonies and structure are perfect and I was very fortunate to get to see this. I went with a co-worker and friend who is a hell of a guitar player and in a band and he was blown away by how good this show was. The fact that you had these musicians layer in vocals and music under his direction was incedible and Brian seemed happy, has a good sense of humor and interacted well with the audience. We sang Row, Row, Row your boat four times during the show and Brian commented on how he enjoyed the crowd and how much energy he was getting. He had folks break out the concert lighters at one point and counted them. I also have to comment on the lead guitarist Jeff Foskett. He is very talented in his own right and he and Brian interact very well. The show lasted two hours with a 20 minute intermission. I left that show just shaking my head. Brian Wilson is a true legend.
    Last edited by ddzavis; 11.12.09 at 06:48 PM.

  7. #7
    Sinner's Swing! Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Big "D"
    Posts
    3,195
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Likes
    7
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    wow, what a setlist. Good to see Surfer Girl and Don't worry baby in there.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddzavis View Post
    SET 1

    Do It Again
    Dance, Dance, Dance
    Girl Don't Tell Me

    Catch A Wave
    Surfer Girl
    In My Room
    Salt Lake City
    Custom Machine
    Desert Drive
    Please Let Me Wonder
    Don't Worry Baby
    I Get Around
    Heroes And Villians
    Roll Around Heaven
    California Girls

    Set 2
    Hearts
    The Little Girl I Once Knew
    All Summer Long
    Darlin

    Add Some Music
    Shut Down
    Little Deuce Coupe
    Do You Wanna Dance
    Sloop John B
    Wouldn't It Be nice
    God only Knows
    Midnight's Another Day
    I'm Going Home
    Southern California
    Good Vibrations

    Encores

    Little Saint Nick
    Johnny B. Goode
    Help Me Rhonda
    Babara Ann
    Surfin U.S.A.
    Fun, Fun, Fun
    Love and Mercy
    there are some real gems on this list, other than the obvious ones like In My Room.

    Quote Originally Posted by ddzavis View Post
    What a stellar show, No Pics. should have, could have, didn't. If you get a chance to see Brian Wilson and this band don't miss the opportunity. The harmonies and structure are perfect and I was very fortunate to get to see this. I went with a co-worker and friend who is a hell of a guitar player and in a band and he was blown away by how good this show was. The fact that you had these musicians layer in vocals and music under his direction was incedible and Brian seemed happy, has a good sense of humor and interacted well with the audience. We sang Row, Row, Row your boat four times during the show and Brian commented on how he enjoyed the crowd and how much energy he was getting. He had folks break out the concert lighters at one point and counted them. I also have to comment on the lead guitarist Jeff Foskett. He is very talented in his own right and he and Brian interact very well. The show lasted two hours with a 20 minute intermission. I left that show just shaking my head. Brian Wilson is a true legend.
    I'm really glad you enjoyed the show. Jeff Foskett is awesome...i mean hell, the entire and is fantastic and their band leader is one of the most gifted musicians around, but Jeff really stuck out for my dad and I because he sings Brian's parts so flawlessly and because he's just such a demon guitarists. During the Pet Sounds tour, Jeff was definitely and MVP candidate.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  9. #9
    Eruption ddzavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.08.03
    Location
    Northeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,258
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

    04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I'm really glad you enjoyed the show. Jeff Foskett is awesome...i mean hell, the entire and is fantastic and their band leader is one of the most gifted musicians around, but Jeff really stuck out for my dad and I because he sings Brian's parts so flawlessly and because he's just such a demon guitarists. During the Pet Sounds tour, Jeff was definitely and MVP candidate



    Thanks, I did. I just wished they would have recorded the show and sold it afterward. I would have bought it no problem. I am going to take those set lists , encores and put together a CD of the music I heard that night. Man, it must have been cool seeing that show with your dad. It was great seeing all ages at the show. The music is timeless.
    Last edited by billy007; 11.16.09 at 04:56 PM.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddzavis View Post
    Thanks, I did. I just wished they would have recorded the show and sold it afterward. I would have bought it no problem. I am going to take those set lists , encores and put together a CD of the music I heard that night. Man, it must have been cool seeing that show with your dad. It was great seeing all ages at the show. The music is timeless.
    it was a real treat for us, definitely. He turned me on to the Beach Boys and tons of other music and we both have a profound love for Brian. Getting to share that with one another was really special. It was funny, at intermission, a couple sitting next to us commented on how well I seemed to know the arrangements because I was sort of "directing" the band and reacting to what was about to happen and such. My dad looked over and said "I raised him right...and now, well, he's more of an expert on Brian than probably anyone here." It was a rather fun moment for me.

    We were a bit trepidatious about going to the show though because at the time Brian was spotty...to say the least. His stage fright was still a huge issue and he was settling into a new schedule of medications. Some shows on that tour, according to reviews I've heard and read, were abortions where the band played and sang everything while Brian sat, nearly motionless with a blank stare in his eyes. Our show he was engaged, happy, confident and talkative. He even got up and played bass for the encores. At first I thought maybe he was just mimicking but then I saw the bass player just off-stage on a phone call! It was really nice seeing him actually playing. That sounds awful but considering what he's been through and the stage he was in at that time, playing bass was quite an accomplishment.

    Sadly, I heard the very next night in Dallas, was quite the "off" night. Dad and I have never really considered going again for fear that the show would be awful and we'd feel bad about seeing him like that.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  11. #11
    Eruption ddzavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.08.03
    Location
    Northeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,258
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

    04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    it was a real treat for us, definitely. He turned me on to the Beach Boys and tons of other music and we both have a profound love for Brian. Getting to share that with one another was really special. It was funny, at intermission, a couple sitting next to us commented on how well I seemed to know the arrangements because I was sort of "directing" the band and reacting to what was about to happen and such. My dad looked over and said "I raised him right...and now, well, he's more of an expert on Brian than probably anyone here." It was a rather fun moment for me.

    We were a bit trepidatious about going to the show though because at the time Brian was spotty...to say the least. His stage fright was still a huge issue and he was settling into a new schedule of medications. Some shows on that tour, according to reviews I've heard and read, were abortions where the band played and sang everything while Brian sat, nearly motionless with a blank stare in his eyes. Our show he was engaged, happy, confident and talkative. He even got up and played bass for the encores. At first I thought maybe he was just mimicking but then I saw the bass player just off-stage on a phone call! It was really nice seeing him actually playing. That sounds awful but considering what he's been through and the stage he was in at that time, playing bass was quite an accomplishment.

    Sadly, I heard the very next night in Dallas, was quite the "off" night. Dad and I have never really considered going again for fear that the show would be awful and we'd feel bad about seeing him like that.
    Well, I'll tell ya he was spot on last week. I saw once when someone in the crowd yelled out to him to play " Little Deuce Coupe" and he nervously wiped his face but on two occasions he looked down at us and smiled and it was relaxed and natural. Hell, he even danced while playing bass. Hey bro, your dad did raise you right

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddzavis View Post
    Well, I'll tell ya he was spot on last week. I saw once when someone in the crowd yelled out to him to play " Little Deuce Coupe" and he nervously wiped his face but on two occasions he looked down at us and smiled and it was relaxed and natural. Hell, he even danced while playing bass. Hey bro, your dad did raise you right
    I'd like to think so!

    As for Brian, he's been doing very well lately. It warms my heart. During the Pet Sounds tour, he was just beginning a new treatment, it was his first tour in ages and he was attempting something very very very ambitious: to play the entire Pet Sounds album, note for note, night in and night out.

    His new wife seems to be completely on board, first and foremost with him the man and then with him the musician and then with him the icon. She seems to have taken a very active and very loving role in his well-being on all fronts. At that time he was with a new doctor, taking a new schedule of drugs and trying to accept the love from so many people that he had not allowed himself to accept for so many years.

    It seems that the tour really gave him a lot of validation and the new meds, doc and wife have worked wonders. He really came out of his shell. Shortly thereafter he went back to work on Smile, which if you haven't checked out, PLEASE DO SO, you will not be dissapointed. Then he did some shows with that. There's a Showtime documentary that explores the sessions and process of working on it and how Brian was still struggling with Smile and with himself but, much like Pet Sounds, getting through it and accepting the respect, gratitude and adulation that his audience wanted so desperately to give him really did a lot for him and finally, perhaps for the first time in his life, seems to be in a pretty good place!

    I honestly love Brian Wilson. I've never met him but I have such compassion, such an appreciation, such simple love for the man....I'd love to meet him one day and just give him a hug and say thanks.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Genarlow Wilson
    By Elwood P. in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10.29.07, 06:42 PM
  2. Owen Wilson attemps suicide
    By Darby in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 09.02.07, 12:18 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03.07.07, 11:19 PM
  4. Social Styles: Wilson Learning...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03.09.06, 01:49 PM
  5. Brian Wilson mentions DLR about 'California Girls'
    By Raldo in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07.12.01, 08:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •