Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Some more up to date Van Halen album sales figures than I've seen in a while....

The guy who runs the site "Fan Of Music" did a few interviews on Hitsville which made him seem like he knows his stuff. He's MJDangerous on the UKMix.org forums too, a very respected authority.

A few notes on these stats:
    * They total 94 million albums sold worldwide
    * This deals in sales, not shipments, and counts by the album not by the disk
    * Roth's sold 54.1 million to Sammy's 29 before you innevitably check
    * Last updated February '08

Van Halen (1978) - 14.8 million (11 million USA)
    Van Halen II (1979) - 7.7 million (5.7 million USA)
    Women & Children First (1980) - 5.6 million (3.7 million USA)
    Fair Warning (1981) - 3.9 million (2.5 million USA)
    Diver Down (1982) - 5.9 million (4.3 million USA)
    1984 (1984) - 16.2 million (10.5 million USA)
    5150 (1986) - 9.4 million (6.3 million USA)
    OU812 (1988) - 6.3 million (4.1 million USA)
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (1991) - 5.2 million (3.9 million USA)
    Live: Right Here, Right Now (1993) - 2.4 million (1.4 million USA)
    Balance (1995) - 5.7 million (3.1 million USA)
    Best Of Volume I (1996) - 7.6 million (3.6 million USA)
    Van Halen III (1998) - 1.6 million (0.7 million USA)
    The Best of Both Worlds (2004) - 1.7 million (0.8 million USA)

Source: http://fanofmusic.free.fr/BestSellersWorldActs

Not sure what one might discuss here, but thought it could be of interest. I found it interesting how near VHIII is to BOBW in sales. And Sammy's attempt to sell VH worldwide in the 90s worked to an extent (Balance outsold F.U.C.K. and OU812 even if not to a dramatic extent).
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ <-- visit my blog, go on!

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Balance outsold FUCK?! I find that hard to believe.

Also - dumb question - I'm assuming these are all sales (cassette / vinyl / CD / digital download)?

Also - I thought VH III only cracked 500K?
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I find it amazing that what is considered my many to be their best album, Fair Warning has the worst sales of all studio albums with the exception of their worst, Van Halen III.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 281 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I find it amazing that what is considered my many to be their best album, Fair Warning has the worst sales of all studio albums with the exception of their worst, Van Halen III.
    I thought that right away too...
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

I find it interesting that VH1 outsold 1984 in the United States. I believe about 20 years ago 1984 had a lot more than VH1. Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I will be corrected, and may God have mercy on my soul.
    Right here I say....

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Balance outsold FUCK?! I find that hard to believe.

Also - dumb question - I'm assuming these are all sales (cassette / vinyl / CD / digital download)?

Also - I thought VH III only cracked 500K?
    These are all sales of albums yes (not singles). Which is something that has always been a point of argument among DLR/SH fans of course - everyone who had the DLR vinyls re-bought, and that's part of why the DLR sales figures are higher.

VHIII only sold 700, 000 in the USA. It probably shipped 800-850, 000 units stateside, and that's why it's not Platinum yet (1 million).

Balance only outsold FUCK globally, not USA. It's cuz they took the tour all round the world, and it was Van Halen's biggest tour ever. Album sales peaked in the mid 90s generally, too.

It didn't have the singles, and it was a USA only tour I think - the first time VH did that.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That list puts VH as 38th best seller ever, but I think now GN'R woulda knocked em down to 39, since the last GN'R sales update.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Just goes to show you that numbers don't mean shit. Tried to explain to some doorknob here that high record sales do not a good product make by using the Olive Garden rule of quality......just because the lemmings line up for it doesn't mean it's quality Italian food.

Anyone with 1/10 of a brain knows that Fair Warning is the best album of the Roth era, probably the best in the entire catalog.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

I find that list hard to believe for one reason: looking at the difference between US sales/international sales, i was expecting the gap to narrow in the Van Hagar years. Meaning that during those years VH did not sell well overseas. No promo, no airplay, no tour. But looking at the list you don't see a significant different between the Roth and Hagar years overseas. The ratio is pretty much the same. No drop in overseas sale.

I find that very hard to believe, having lived in Europe during that time. And I don't think Japan would've totally made up for the drop in European sales. What gives?
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 1,485 Times in 906 Posts

Thanks for posting the stats.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:10 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

That list of highest sellers is interesting... I would of thought that Zeppelin would of sold more than a few of the other 10 bands...

Paul McCartney.... God Damn.... 103,700,00 by himself and 346,500,00 with the Beatles. That's amazing....

There some big numbers for Van Halen... Not to far away from 100,00,000. Cool.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.09.16 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

What is interesting to me is how much "replacement" would figure into the sales.

Many older albums were bought on vinyl, cassette then CD by some....the same person likely wound up buying them 3 times because of technology change. Especially bands like The Beatles benefit from that angle.

After what...1986 or 87 or so likely it was the CD that was bought first. Do many people now actually buy the "digital albums" to make much of a difference? Seems it is songs.

It is almost like the music business is more like during Elvis' time when the important thing was a big single and touring rather than people buying albums. I suspect a person in the future with a one or two hit wonder could make a mint off downloads of the one or two songs, then parlay it into a tour and merch and it wouldn't even matter if there were an album.

Also, and this thought really is kind of off the reservation, it has always been interesting to me that the music business uses units sold and the movie business goes by gross. Gone With the Wind is still FAR and away the number one movie of all time if you go by ticket sales or do an inflation adjustment like on boxofficemojo. A lot of the newer movie grosses look impressive, but it really diminishes the true popularity of movies like Jaws and earlier if you don't look deeper.

Album sales are what they are. But they still uses grosses for concerts rather than tickets sold as a barometer...falls prey to inflation.

Don't know why I got off on that tangent

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I find that list hard to believe for one reason: looking at the difference between US sales/international sales, i was expecting the gap to narrow in the Van Hagar years. Meaning that during those years VH did not sell well overseas. No promo, no airplay, no tour. But looking at the list you don't see a significant different between the Roth and Hagar years overseas. The ratio is pretty much the same. No drop in overseas sale.

I find that very hard to believe, having lived in Europe during that time. And I don't think Japan would've totally made up for the drop in European sales. What gives?
    I don't think that VH has ever had big play/promotion in Europe, either with Roth or Hagar. I started playing guitar in the mid eighties and heard "Jump" on the radio. I loved the solo and I didn't even know who it was by. The only Hagar I have ever heard on TV was WCTBL.

I think that, whereas in the USA they almost seem part of the cultural fabric of the country to an extent, in Europe and elsewhere they are just another band that obviously has had a loyal following but never became part of everyday vocabulary.

I think sales have been steady simply because the same core audience bought their music, regardless of the singer at the helm, mainly because of the guitar playing.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I can't believe VHIII is at 0.7 million. That'd be funny if it FINALLY went platinum another 10 years down the road.
    "You gotta do me a favor and let these (people) have a good time, alright? A little bit of (vulgar term for breast) and their hands in the air ain't gonna hurt anybody" - Nikki Sixx

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6:30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

03.03.12 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

very cool thank you.

1) i was too young to buy classic VH on vinyl, but i did get the whole catalog on cassette !
    i DID rebuy on cd, and then bought used vinyl for the heck of it ( buying used copies doesnt count , i know )
    bought balance on cd and vinyl when new. also got the cd single w/crossing over.
    bought chickenfoot on cd and vinyl.
    going to have to replace some scratched up cd's.

2) very surprised balance did better than Fuck. of course there was a lot of film for balance. i prefer fUcK, but balance is great.
    not surprised VH3 is at the bottom. it should have been an EP with maybe 3 or 4 of those tracks and the rest is crap that leffler would have deleted.

4) fair warning is tragically underplayed. wacf as well.

5) bobw is near bottom. should be. damn useless thing.