Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUYER BEWARE

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default BUYER BEWARE

This post is a copy from one I posted a couple hours ago in another forum. It is meant as a heads up, so that anyone else get the same treatment I did. Since there was a lot of talk about Frankenstraat, maybe we should take a look elsewhere, too.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am doing it in order to prevent some other fellow builders from being... let's say ripped off.

We all try to achieve a relatively accurate Franky replica, more or less. It depends on the standards we impose on ourselves. For me, the best I could achieve would be the '97 version of Franky. That means Gotoh crown head tuners.

Now, I've been searching all over for them. I tried several forums, ebay, sites... And found them anywhere.

One of these days, a fellow builder, YMI5150?. PMed me asking if I wanted a set of these.

I really didn't notice them and thought they were real Gotohs. More precisely, I didn't notice the thingie where you insert the screws, because of the angle. I trusted the seller. After all, YMI5150? knew that I've been searching for them all over the place, same places as he, and he knew that was what I wanted: Gotoh crown head tuners. Besides, he has sold me before the linen phenolic covers for the neck pickup. And so I said sure. I end up paying $200 for them.

When I received them I took a closer look at them.

And I noticed those were not real Gotohs, rather a copy. See how the thingie for the screw descends vertically? Well, Gotohs don't do that! I told that to YMI5150? and he said "Well, I don't know that they are not Gotohs, they may even be, bacause there are no indication of the brand". Next it went like
    "But you knew what I was after: Gotoh crown head tuners"
    "Yes I did"
    "We've looked in the same places"
    "Yes we did"
    "And you sold me some cheap tuners, not Gotohs all the same"
    "Well, they may even turn out to be Gotoh, there's mno inscription on them"
    "Ok, but I was looking for Gotohs. Will you refund me?"
    "Hmmmm... no."

And that's how it went. So, guys if you want a accurate replica, beware who you buy it from. There are red flags for Frankenstraat, well maybe we should raise some more.

By the way, these are what the real ones look like:

I know that YMI5150? won't refund me no matter what. It seems that there is no way to get back that absurd amount of money that I paid for a fake. Some may even say that I deserve it. So, I am only writing this so that people don't get fooled like I did. It's all a matter of trust and, in this case, the opposite. I trusted YMI5150? and got burned. So... beware.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is truely a shame man. specialy 200$?...jesus. I truely hope you get a refund, knowing or not they were fake, it should be the seller's responsibility.

I hope this thread stays up We give thanks to people who deserve it, so when we get screwed...it should be told as well.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My feelings exactly, Alain. That is why I'm letting this out into the open.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

What's worse is those look like the Taiwan Profile knockoffs that were real prevelent around the late eighties. I think even at the time they were going for around 40 bucks. With a little pressure from us on this thread, maybe he'll do the right thing. Sorry to here about that man.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, so far, he's shown himself completely unavailable to do so. You guys can check here...

http://halen.com/evh/index.php?name=...=326383#326383

I didn't want to drag the mess into this forum, but since guys were so sympathetic with the "victims" of Frankenstraat, I guess I could make a little pressure here too, to see if he'll come to his senses.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One thing i can not stand is a statment like this

"I'm sorry for the dissatisfaction but I still hold my position. In my opinion it is up to the buyer to review the item prior to purchasing. "

That is totaly unprofessional. I've seen or read that statement to many times from people selling stuff online that it's NOT suppose to be.

Nothas was looking for a Gotoh set, that was pretty clear, so even with picts sent, anyone would have assumed it was some Gotoh tuners when you're a trusting person.

What i think is sad..is that YMI5150 will loose all his credibility just for 200$...wich is not good since it takes ages to earn a rep..but takes one stupid mistake to loose it.
    Last edited by al3d; 11.02.09 at 12:48 PM.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Besides, if those tuners are so sought after and rare, why doesn't he take them back and refund me? He'd sure sell them again for the same amount. Right?

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When the tuners are installed, you notice that the screws are set in the wrong place.

Kevin mentioned that this last picture was blurry, so he couldn't really know what tuners those would be, but once you install the tuners you can really see the differece, blurry or not. And I'm pretty sure Kevin did install the tuners, he warned me that they were different than Schallers.

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    What's worse is those look like the Taiwan Profile knockoffs that were real prevelent around the late eighties. I think even at the time they were going for around 40 bucks.
    I believe they are that kind, yes. You see, I bought a guitar ages ago. It was my first guitar, really cheap chinese copy that I still hang around due to affection. Since I didn't know a thing about it and I had noone to teach me or coach me, I was overcharged: $150. Still, it was the crappiest piece around. Wanna see what kind of tuners it had?

The heads were different, they looked like the ones in Ed's 5150, so I took them out and used them. Besides, the tuners were so cheap that one of them wore out and really doesn't work anymore.

I also spoke with some Japanese pals, they showed me lots of heads like those on Yahoo Japan auctions. One could easily switch the heads since the tuners were not that expensive. I'm sure that can be done, right, Kevin?

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh, one more thing. Do you want another proof that he knew what to sell and what not to sell?
    Take a look at this message from YMI5150? after I complained that the tuners were different... Check the date.

It's October 16th 2009.

Now, check this posts of his:

This one is from UEVH, in a topic called "Has anyone noticed this?" that commented on the differences between the Fender replica and the real deal, more to the point, the different tuners: Schaller vs Gotoh Crown Heads. We came to a consensus that, due to the date, those were Gotohs. Kevin eve helped shed some light on it! See the date? It's June 9th 2009! So, what happend to " [...]no one knows with 100% certainty that they were real Gotohs [...]"?

Now check this:

See the date? July 22nd 2009. He was also looking for the same thing I was. And both these events happened before he sold me those tuners! How can he claim that he didn't know?

I bet that if a newsflash came out to the open mentioning that the ones he sold me are accurate replicas of the real deal, he'd pretty soon ask them back!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Gotta say man...It's a weird situation for you. As far as them being rare, god I don't know. I think they must have been one of the most easily knocked off tuners there was at the time, simply because they had a somewhat unfinished appearance even from Gotoh. I was working at a local music shop around the time these crown heads (both Gotoh and Profile) were appearing on alot of makes of guitars, both cheap and expensive. We actually swapped out alot of these tuners for the much more popular Schallers or Grovers. I don't know how long Gotoh actually made them for. I know that they wer'nt a big selling feature at the time. I used to have some kicking around. I can't remember what I ended up doing with them. I think they ended up on an Aria Pro ZZ that I installed a Floyd on for a friend. Sorry you've had such a rough time. Sure tests your faith in people. I had a bad experience on the Weekend similar to this. Fortunately I was able to resolve it myself, but man, I was fuckin' pissed off.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I was pissed too. The situation, me, YMI5150?, the whole mess. But it seems that there is some light in the end of the tunnel. Maybe we can resolve this "misunderstanding". Kevin claims that he didn't know what I wanted, I claim that it was pretty clear, between that, who should you believe, right? Anyway, if this situation gets all cleared up, I'll post it here and make sure Kevin gets a clean bill.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I hope you guys can find some mutual resolution. You seem optomistic, which is a good attitude to take. Like I said, and I'm sure others will agree, he's done alot of people good. You guys are too much of an asset here on the Links to be goin' at each other's throats. Good luck...
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't fathom paying more than $30 for a set of tuners, regardless of who made them. But it's very poor integrity for that guy to knowingly sell you the wrong tuners.
    Brendan

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am here to publicly state that all issues between me and YMI5150? have been resolved. We took it outside and have resolved all our differences.

I must say that Kevin dealt with me as a gentleman would. He has refunded me EVEN BEFORE I showed him any proof of sending the tuners back, which I believe shows his good faith and intentions of resolving the matter.

I am mentioning also that I have no problems in delaing with him again. I think what happened here was a big misunderstanting and we both felt in the right. I used some very strong language and said some pretty nasty things out of frustration and anger, not necessarily towards Kevin, I guess maybe towards myself and the wahole situation, that escalated in a crazy way.

The fact that Kevin and I were able to understand what happened and put our differences aside and come to good terms is a proof of his ggod intention, which means that he should not be confused with other sellers / dealers / etc who have no respect for clients or business in general.

Once again, I say that I feel completely reassured in Kevin's intentions and I have bo problem in doing business with him again. I guess maybe now I feel more secured that before.

I would like to end thanking Al3d for his support, his help as mediator and his wise words calming me down and getting me back to civilization!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now lets get a beer...
    Custom guitars and high end point to point handwired 68 Marshall SuperLeads

www.holbrooktone.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/holbrooktone