Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

05.02.17 @ 07:29 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Vai Talks Early Days w/ Roth

Almost gives the impression that he really didn't know what he was getting into. Interesting.

http://www.spinner.com/2009/10/26/gu...avid-lee-roth/

Guitarist Steve Vai Recalls Wild Days With David Lee Roth

Guitarist Steve Vai has a new live DVD, 'Where the Wild Things Are,' that highlights his 25 plus years of performing for sold-out audiences. Vai, who is known for his wild guitar licks onstage, was no match for the backstage antics he experienced on tour with Van Halen's David Lee Roth.

"Actually, I was never really wild," he tells Spinner. "I guess back in the '80s when I was touring with Dave Roth, that was pretty wild. I was just a na´ve kid and I'd been touring with Frank Zappa, which was tough enough but I wasn't ready for the Dave Roth experience. We would pull into town and every night there was this tremendous party backstage because Dave really knew how to do it. There would be food and drinks and a big PA system and lights and there was usually 50 or so chosen girls from the audience that were very happy to be at the party. The techs would go out and invite somebody backstage or if somebody in the band saw a girl in the audience he'd give a cue to the tech or would go out and give them a [backstage] pass. Back then, we were playing those arenas [and] it was 80% girls in their underwear. It was crazy. I was like a bee sitting on the rim of the cup sipping the honey. I just had a taste now and then. It was really an amazing experience."

Vai was just a wide-eyed 24-year-old when he rolled into town with Diamond Dave for the first gig, an experience that he could never have imagined. "I remember the first day on tour with Dave we got in Huntsville, Ala. or something in 1984 or 1985 and we would rent two floors of every hotel because one floor was all for us and the other floor was just a buffer floor so nobody would stay there. When we got there a few days early I was sitting in the executive lounge of the hotel and I see this smoke coming out from underneath this sink and there are two girls dressed like maids who had been sitting there for two days waiting for us to get the floor.

"That night when we came back to the hotel the entire floor was like a circus. I'll never forget -- I came out of my room and looked down the hall and saw one of the notorious techs and he's walking down the hall naked with one of these girls I saw under the sink and she was naked. That was my introduction to day one with David Lee Roth on tour!"

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jemevh View Post
    Almost gives the impression that he really didn't know what he was getting into. Interesting.

Guitarist Steve Vai has a new live DVD, 'Where the Wild Things Are,' that highlights his 25 plus years of performing for sold-out audiences. Vai, who is known for his wild guitar licks onstage, was no match for the backstage antics he experienced on tour with Van Halen's David Lee Roth.

"Actually, I was never really wild," he tells Spinner. "I guess back in the '80s when I was touring with Dave Roth, that was pretty wild. I was just a na´ve kid and I'd been touring with Frank Zappa, which was tough enough but I wasn't ready for the Dave Roth experience. We would pull into town and every night there was this tremendous party backstage because Dave really knew how to do it. There would be food and drinks and a big PA system and lights and there was usually 50 or so chosen girls from the audience that were very happy to be at the party. The techs would go out and invite somebody backstage or if somebody in the band saw a girl in the audience he'd give a cue to the tech or would go out and give them a [backstage] pass. Back then, we were playing those arenas [and] it was 80% girls in their underwear. It was crazy. I was like a bee sitting on the rim of the cup sipping the honey. I just had a taste now and then. It was really an amazing experience."

Vai was just a wide-eyed 24-year-old when he rolled into town with Diamond Dave for the first gig, an experience that he could never have imagined. "I remember the first day on tour with Dave we got in Huntsville, Ala. or something in 1984 or 1985 and we would rent two floors of every hotel because one floor was all for us and the other floor was just a buffer floor so nobody would stay there. When we got there a few days early I was sitting in the executive lounge of the hotel and I see this smoke coming out from underneath this sink and there are two girls dressed like maids who had been sitting there for two days waiting for us to get the floor.

"That night when we came back to the hotel the entire floor was like a circus. I'll never forget -- I came out of my room and looked down the hall and saw one of the notorious techs and he's walking down the hall naked with one of these girls I saw under the sink and she was naked. That was my introduction to day one with David Lee Roth on tour!"

Damn, I wish I played guitar.. those are the stories of legends..
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,460 Times in 896 Posts

Gotta love Dave!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Too bad they didn't film this stuff. Or is there some footage somewhere?
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jemevh View Post

Sounds like one hell of a party

BTW this was Van Halen backstage that very same year.

That looks just as wild as Dave's backstage fun.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Big Al cracks me up. Doin the dance. Damn miss those days!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That's from the MTV "Unleashed" special, haven't seen that in many, many years.

What's that, son, were they fun? Yes, at one time VH was fun, kids.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post

VH - balls. Why tf would you post that! The EVH noises are the only redeeming quality.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 11.01.09 at 11:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]