Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    04.10.08
    Posts
    248
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default In this day and age, ...

    In this day and age, why is it still a quest to find the ultimate brown sound?

    I know the standard responses: "even if you have the same rig, you won't sound like Ed. You would need the exact same pickup. The new flangers and phasers don't sound like the originals. The plexi was modified/it was stock. Mic position, Greenbacks/JBL's, reverb tanks, the destryer/explorer, covered cabs/uncovered cabs, echoplex/delay, VHI vs. VHII and beyond, get a 5150III, Peace maker, metro amp, Marshall hand-wired, EVH in a box - Wompler, Mr. Ed ......."

    I could keep going, but...Seriously, can't someone do some hi-tech computer stuff and make us all happy - I mean, we can take worthless people and make them sound good with pitch perfect and harminization and yet we can't dial in "the brown sound" with computer accuracy?

    come on - seriously?

  2. #2
    On Fire Ed shred's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.18.04
    Posts
    336
    Last Online

    01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Yes there is something that can give us that tone and so much more.

    Its called Axe fx by Fractal Audio. I saw this thing at the amp show in LA and everyone that stopped and listened to this thing didnt walk away for about an hour. The tones that come from this thing are incredible. You can dial up any amp you want and change everything about it. What I mean in you can change cabs speakers, amp sag, and so on. It is really impressive i I think anybody that wants a new amp needs to take a serious look at this thing. Im a blues guy and I would consider buying it just for the traditional sounds. IT IS CRAZY BAD ASS AWESOME SHIT. When we were listening in the room one person in particular was watching real closely. His name is Thomas Nordegg . Do you know who that is. I heard him say" thats all you really need". LINK!!


  3. #3
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    02.19.07
    Posts
    4,976
    Last Online

    10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    99
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    Thats cool. I'd love to hear that in person. On that compressed youtube link it sounds nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    10.05.09
    Posts
    288
    Last Online

    02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Well in this day and age I would be shocked if there are that many people trying to cop Vanhalens brown sound. When you think about it it is 22 years since VH1 came out and unless you are playing in a cover band I think most people should be looking for there own tone.

    The state of rock music has been pretty pathetic for the longest time now and with hip hop and American Idol winners and runnerups all over the radio I think this is the worst decade in the history of music. On the other hand there are probably more technicaly skilled young guitar players than at anytime ever. I can put on youtube and watch a slew of 11 to 13 year old kids with killer chops, due to all the instructional DVDs,the web and all these other programs kids are way advanced on the instrument then during my time when you had to take a hi fi needle and go over the same passage or lick 100 times.

    But until people stop worrying about how many notes they can play per second and learn to write good songs nothing is going to change over night. But I do have to say that the next Hendrix or Vanhalen is out there who is going to put it all together and put rock based music back at the forefront.

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Good tone, and good playing, comes from your head, your hands, and your heart. Oh, and also from your gear. Though we can replicate many factors, we can never replicate ALL factors--even with fancy computer programs (because of the human factor). I've always been of the mind that one should get a sound they like and then PLAY!

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Good tone, and good playing, comes from your head, your hands, and your heart. Oh, and also from your gear. Though we can replicate many factors, we can never replicate ALL factors--even with fancy computer programs (because of the human factor). I've always been of the mind that one should get a sound they like and then PLAY!
    agreed. im quite happy with my overal tone and im also fortunate in having my own "signiture sound" i don't know where it comes from but i can plug into most peoples gear and get it straight away (within reason) i think it may be because i finger certain chords in an unconventional manner (with all barre chords my 4th and 3rd fingers are reversed and my thumb is over the top of the fretboard).

    i do use Line6 gearbox for getting my ideas down and using that i can get pretty close to Ed's brown sound, but NOT using the plexi setting!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  7. #7
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    04.10.08
    Posts
    248
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Andrew, I totally agree with you. I just see so many people on the links chasing that tone and spending a lot of money to get it. Even when someone thinks they have it, someone will disagree. I just think it would be cool if you could buy something - like a Rockman X100(the early ones when Tom owned the company). Then you could stop chasing tone and just play - and have fun doin' it.

  8. #8
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    agreed. im quite happy with my overal tone and im also fortunate in having my own "signiture sound" i don't know where it comes from but i can plug into most peoples gear and get it straight away (within reason) i think it may be because i finger certain chords in an unconventional manner (with all barre chords my 4th and 3rd fingers are reversed and my thumb is over the top of the fretboard).

    i do use Line6 gearbox for getting my ideas down and using that i can get pretty close to Ed's brown sound, but NOT using the plexi setting!
    I'm with ya Tom! I have what you would call signature I guess. I don't go out of my way to sound like this guy or that guy. I have no problem with people picking up my influences, which are quite diverse, but honestly, unless I was in a tribute band, I'd feel like a half assed rip off artist. Part of the fun and challenge of music for me, is to have originality and an identity my own. I have a couple striped guitars, but I've never played them on stage for this very reason. I'd feel stupid. I just like to get a sound that I like first. Not cop someone elses.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  9. #9
    Eruption LeftyVanHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.24.07
    Posts
    1,158
    Last Online

    08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by straycat113 View Post
    When you think about it it is 22 years since VH1 came out and unless you are playing in a cover band I think most people should be looking for there own tone.
    To further prove your point...it's been 32 years since VH1 came out (1977)

  10. #10
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I'm with ya Tom! I have what you would call signature I guess. I don't go out of my way to sound like this guy or that guy. I have no problem with people picking up my influences, which are quite diverse, but honestly, unless I was in a tribute band, I'd feel like a half assed rip off artist. Part of the fun and challenge of music for me, is to have originality and an identity my own. I have a couple striped guitars, but I've never played them on stage for this very reason. I'd feel stupid. I just like to get a sound that I like first. Not cop someone elses.
    oh i have a couple of striped guitars too, a b/w with my own stripe pattern and a kramer that i put orange and silver stripes on, i play em all the time at gigs, i built em to be played, we don't even do more than a couple of VH tunes, my b/w is my #1, its getting pretty beat up now but it plays so damn well, most of the parts don't fit properly either!...lol
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  11. #11
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    oh i have a couple of striped guitars too, a b/w with my own stripe pattern and a kramer that i put orange and silver stripes on, i play em all the time at gigs, i built em to be played, we don't even do more than a couple of VH tunes, my b/w is my #1, its getting pretty beat up now but it plays so damn well, most of the parts don't fit properly either!...lol
    oh...I did'nt mean it as a attack on anyone who plays a replica on stage. I just mean for me in my current band, it would look kinda dumb. We don't play any VH in the band I'm in now. Not to say I'd never do it.I just feel that Ed's guitars are so iconic in their look, it gives people the preconception of what their gonna hear. Right now we're playing stuff from Sabbath, Purple, even some AIC, along with a bunch of original tunes. None of which are particularily VH at all even though they are fairly heavy hard rock. On the other hand I have a friend who played a VH bumblebee he put together at a bar, and before they even started playing, a guy started heckling him and laughing. Not cool. He's a great player, so I'm sure he put him in his place, but he never played live with it again.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  12. #12
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    oh...I did'nt mean it as a attack on anyone who plays a replica on stage. I just mean for me in my current band, it would look kinda dumb. We don't play any VH in the band I'm in now. Not to say I'd never do it.I just feel that Ed's guitars are so iconic in their look, it gives people the preconception of what their gonna hear. Right now we're playing stuff from Sabbath, Purple, even some AIC, along with a bunch of original tunes. None of which are particularily VH at all even though they are fairly heavy hard rock. On the other hand I have a friend who played a VH bumblebee he put together at a bar, and before they even started playing, a guy started heckling him and laughing. Not cool. He's a great player, so I'm sure he put him in his place, but he never played live with it again.
    Dude its cool, i didnt take it as an attack or anything, i suppose that because i live in England and VH never really had major mainstream exposure, people just don't make the connection, our set consists mainly of hard rock and punk (our newest masterpiece is pokerface by lady gaga...great fun) and playing a VH inspired guitar gives me a certain sense of irony when people don't get it, hell the bands name is "Love Socket" so you can imagine where i'm coming from.



    Note....i'm really high on prescription painkillers right now for my crappy knee's, so i hope that made some kind of sense!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  13. #13
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Dude its cool, i didnt take it as an attack or anything, i suppose that because i live in England and VH never really had major mainstream exposure, people just don't make the connection, our set consists mainly of hard rock and punk (our newest masterpiece is pokerface by lady gaga...great fun) and playing a VH inspired guitar gives me a certain sense of irony when people don't get it, hell the bands name is "Love Socket" so you can imagine where i'm coming from.



    Note....i'm really high on prescription painkillers right now for my crappy
    knee's, so i hope that made some kind of sense!
    Totally! And yes you made perfect sense. The name rules man! . I'm tossing around Unjustified Girth for a band name, but for some reason, a couple of the guys don't dig it! I think it's funny as hell.....In a psycho sodomy prison movie kind a way.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  14. #14
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Totally! And yes you made perfect sense. The name rules man! . I'm tossing around Unjustified Girth for a band name, but for some reason, a couple of the guys don't dig it! I think it's funny as hell.....In a psycho sodomy prison movie kind a way.
    my kids wanted me to call our band space toast and my first idea was to call it Blood on the Knob....i've always thought music needs humour!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  15. #15
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    04.10.08
    Posts
    248
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Axe-FX sounds cool, but at $1500, a little out of my range. Now if I were a touring professional...I might appreciate the consistency in tone night after night.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •