Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

7,000 unemployed Americans lose their lifeline every day

Another day, another 7,000 people run out of unemployment benefits.

One month after the House passed a bill extending unemployment benefits, the issue is still being debated in the Senate.

Democratic leaders in the Senate introduced a bill two weeks ago to lengthen benefits in all states by 14 weeks. Those that live in states with unemployment greater than 8.5% would receive an additional six weeks.

Senate Republicans want to add several amendments, including one that would pay for the extra benefits with stimulus funds rather than by extending a federal unemployment tax.

While leaders in both parties are trying to negotiate a compromise, Senate Democrats Wednesday took a step to bring the bill to the floor as early as the end of next week. If it passes, the Senate legislation must then be reconciled with the House version, which extends benefits by 13 weeks in high-unemployment states.

Meanwhile, the bickering has cost people like Crystal Jordan of Dolton, Ill., their benefits. The single mother of three ran out in late September.

She is one of the 1.3 million people set to lose their benefits before year's end if Congress doesn't act, according to the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group. In October alone, more than 200,000 people will fall off the rolls.

Lawmakers twice lengthened the time people can receive checks to as much as 79 weeks, depending on the state.

Jordan lost her administrative support job in the spring of 2008. She had never been unemployed before and hasn't been able to find work since, despite sending out 10 resumes a day.

Jordan is also finishing her bachelor's degree in business management. She hopes that will give her the edge she needs to find a job in 2010.

The $1,000 check she received every two weeks allowed her to pay the rent and feed her family. Now, she doesn't know how she'll cover next month's bills.

"I am fearful we will all end up on the street because I can't find a job and have no income," Jordan said. "Everyone's household is extremely tight at the moment so I cannot lean on friends or family for any support."

More Americans than ever before are in Jordan's situation. More than one in three people who are unemployed have been out of work for at least six months, according to the law project. The unemployment rate hit a 26-year high of 9.8% in September.

"We're talking about people who've been unemployed for well over a year," said Judy Conti, federal advocacy coordinator at the law project. "If they had savings, it's gone. This is their last lifeline."

Gregg Rock, a business strategy consultant, drained his savings after joining the ranks of the unemployed in summer 2008. He was forced to move back to his mother's home in Huntington, N.Y., for the first time in more than 20 years.

With so many people looking for work, Rock feels his best chance is land a new job is through networking. But it costs him $18 just to trek into Manhattan, not to mention $4 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks, where he often meets people who he hopes will lead him to a job.

Rock's benefits ran out last week. Now, he says, he'll be forced to drive a cab at night or take a bartending job just to earn enough to keep job hunting.

"Unemployment is what allows you to afford to be out there networking," Rock said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Networking? Sitting around Starbucks drinking $4 coffee in hopes of meeting someone who will give you a lead, or a job? Really? I'm sorry, that person should work on their story, it doesn't sound all that sad to me. $18 to get into Manhattan? Don't go to Manhattan. And then to say oh, I'll take this crappy job so I can afford to "network". Whatever, sounds like a guy who wants some cushy job. And really, if you are a business strategy consultant who is out of work, where did your strategy go wrong?

I feel for people who are unemployed, but I think some folks have some really unrealistic expectations. You may not find exactly what you want, but I find it hard to believe that it takes a year or more to get your name on SOMEONE's payroll. I had to do it. It isn't fun, but I'm not unemployed, either.

Sorry folks, I'm taking this on a case-by-case basis. And this "Gregg Rock" person sounds full of it. "Oh, my benefits just ran out, now I have to get a job so I can network". Hey, Rock, you're a leech.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

It's reading shit like this that keeps me from quitting my fuck-ass job. Today I was so close....so fuckin close to walking the fuck out.

To be jobless now is like a fucking ticket to sleeping on a relative's couch for the next year.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Today I was so close....so fuckin close to walking the fuck out.
    I hear you, man. I work with about 15 people, and sometimes I think I'm the only one there who gives a shit about anything, or has any common sense whatsoever. And the temptation to just walk is there from time to time. But you're right, you just can't walk, there's too much to lose.

I keep telling myself that I'm working to please myself, and my standards, regardless of how lax theirs may be. But that doesn't really help. This week, I no longer get mad, or question people, I just start laughing, shaking my head, laughing like Al Bundy when he stepped through the doorway of that plane, with no parachute....

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As much as I hate my supervisor and as stressed out I am, I will not walk out without having another job.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Networking? Sitting around Starbucks drinking $4 coffee in hopes of meeting someone who will give you a lead, or a job? Really? I'm sorry, that person should work on their story, it doesn't sound all that sad to me. $18 to get into Manhattan? Don't go to Manhattan. And then to say oh, I'll take this crappy job so I can afford to "network". Whatever, sounds like a guy who wants some cushy job. And really, if you are a business strategy consultant who is out of work, where did your strategy go wrong?

I feel for people who are unemployed, but I think some folks have some really unrealistic expectations. You may not find exactly what you want, but I find it hard to believe that it takes a year or more to get your name on SOMEONE's payroll. I had to do it. It isn't fun, but I'm not unemployed, either.

Sorry folks, I'm taking this on a case-by-case basis. And this "Gregg Rock" person sounds full of it. "Oh, my benefits just ran out, now I have to get a job so I can network". Hey, Rock, you're a leech.
    100% agreed right there. I thought the same thing when I read that. I won't pay 4 bucks for a cup of coffee, employed or unemployed.

I'm very blessed to have the job I do. But I can tell you, it wouldn't take me a year to get a job. I'm supposed to feel sorry for someone who has to take a job that's not up to their "standards" while they look for another one? What are you supposed to do? Oh yea, get tax dollars so you can sit on your ass and surf Monster.com

Maybe I'm just an asshole

Last Online

08.29.14 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you can't find a job in 6 months or a year, you're obviously not looking that hard. yeah, like said above, it may not be EXACTLY the job you had or want, but you know what? It puts food on the table and it keeps the lights on.

I thank my lucky stars that I have a job that I love and pays pretty good. My wife on the otherhand HATES her job. Hates the people she works with and hates her supervisor. Lifes too short ofr that shit.

Sometimes the best way to get a better job is to just quit. BUT..you have to work at it. Sitting at Starbucks or surfing the net all day doesnt cut it.

I like the leap before you look motto sometimes.

Expecting handouts seems to be the sad norm in todays world. Gimme gimme gimme... FUCK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work my ass off......if you don't know what its like to fail, you can never succeed.
    If cleanliness were next to Godliness, then that would make you the devil...(CLUTCH)...