On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Building a House

My wife and are going to build a house. It seems like a good deal, but we are a little nervous about the whole thing.

Any advice and tips are appreciated.

Thanks
    Better use it up before it gets old!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

A tad more specificity would be in order to get a usable answer. For instance, how did this come about? Did you purchase a parcel of land, and then decide to build upon it? Are you in the process of contacting contractors? How is this going to be financed?

Otherwise, the question is vastly open-ended. After all, I'm fairly certain that this guy started with the best of intentions...

Seriously, you'll need to provide some detail about the situation. And although the Links provides a great cross section of input from some very astute folks, I question your choice of advice for such a decision from here without investing some time in other, more appropriate forums.

I'm not trying to be a judgmental dork about it friend, I'm simply attempting to help out. Please redefine what you are asking. I believe that you'd agree that what you are asking is very vague.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 10.21.09 at 08:07 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I thought if I left it a little open ended it might might generate some discussion of some things I would not even think to ask.

The deal is, we put some money down, but the builder builds on his money then we purchase the finished home for the pre-determined cost. He has built many homes in this neighborhood and the people I have talked to have been pleased. We have signed off on the plans, but the digging hasn't started yet.

Anyway I was just wondering what to look for during various phases of the construction process.

Any mistakes other people have made.

And just any nifty little features other people have built or added to their house. Like lighting, cabinets, plumbing etc...

For example in our current house, we have this extra wide wood trim. It really adds a nice touch.

My wife has already nixed the Van Halen bathroom
    Better use it up before it gets old!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Nebraska? Make sure you get a good storm cellar!

Which makes me wonder - you always see the storm cellar separate from the house. Wouldn't it be possible to just extend the basement underground beneath the house so the occupants don't have to flee outside when a twister's coming (and then it could also be furnished real nice and used as a rec room or something when there's not a tornado bearing down on the upstairs!)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've never been through this process, but I have heard of others doing it this way, and the only thing I can offer (which may not even apply with this contractor), would be in the area of upgrades after the construction starts. I have heard of one story in particular where the potential buyer walked around inside during the construction phase, questioned the materials being used (in this case, the cheapest interior doors possible), and the potential buyer was told that since he didn't own the house yet, he should take his questions and his self and leave.

So, if everything is predetermined, and I don't know that that is a bad thing, but if you find yourself wanting to upgrade certain things as construction goes along (I'm thinking fixtures, lighting, etc.), then you may find the contractor isn't exactly open to that. Then again, you may have a budget built in to determine those items.

Anyway, I've heard of that being a problem, other than that, good luck and I hope all is well and you come out of this totally satisfied.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Oh, and an afterthought, hopefully this contractor will not use the dreaded Chinese sheetrock. Bad, bad things are happening to new houses that have Chinese sheetrock. Seriously, I hope this contractor knows better.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I've never been through this process, but I have heard of others doing it this way, and the only thing I can offer (which may not even apply with this contractor), would be in the area of upgrades after the construction starts. I have heard of one story in particular where the potential buyer walked around inside during the construction phase, questioned the materials being used (in this case, the cheapest interior doors possible), and the potential buyer was told that since he didn't own the house yet, he should take his questions and his self and leave.

So, if everything is predetermined, and I don't know that that is a bad thing, but if you find yourself wanting to upgrade certain things as construction goes along (I'm thinking fixtures, lighting, etc.), then you may find the contractor isn't exactly open to that. Then again, you may have a budget built in to determine those items.

Anyway, I've heard of that being a problem, other than that, good luck and I hope all is well and you come out of this totally satisfied.
    I would concur with Red on this; if you're thinking of doing any upgrades at all, get things straight with your contractor now before he breaks ground. He may ask for more money up front and/or asks you to pay for the upgraded materials/items yourself, but it's a heck of a lot easier than upgrading after the fact.

Another item: wiring. If you're looking at doing surround sound/multi-room audio, etc., make sure you get the necessary wiring put in place before the sheetrock/drywall. Again, much easier than doing it after the fact.

Next up: moldings. Doesn't sound like much, but things like crown moldings, chair rails, etc. can add a lot to your house for not much more in cost.

Ditto on the Chinese sheetrock/drywall. Don't know if it's still a problem now, but the last thing you want is a house that's hazardous and uninhabitable.

Last item: roof tiles (if you're doing tiles). Don't skimp on them, and make sure they put the nail line in correctly. Had a problem with that in a previous house that we bought, the owners ended up replacing the entire roof before we would sign.

All I have for now, I'll post again if anything else comes to mind...

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH Wahoo View Post
    Another item: wiring. If you're looking at doing surround sound/multi-room audio, etc., make sure you get the necessary wiring put in place before the sheetrock/drywall. Again, much easier than doing it after the fact.
    This is an important one. Wire the house to the teeth!! You don't have to have everything hooked up but it is easy to wire all the rooms with data lines and just have them drop into the basement for now. It will be a lot easier than trying to decide which room is going to have the computer etc. Luckily the house I moved into back in August had been wired like crazy!!! It was so easy to just grab the wires in the basement and connect the ones I wanted.

And the surround sound is a good one too. Run those wires prior to the drywalling. But make sure you keep track of where the wires are in the walls. In my first house we ran the wires but forgot exactly where they ended. The second house we video taped all the walls before they were closed up.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Basically, you're in for a world of stress. Be prepared for it.
    Something is going to go wrong that you're not going to be able fix, and you'll have to live with it or pay a lot of money to change it later.
    Take a deep breath, find your center, and drink lots of booze.

A friend of mine had a house built two years ago. He would drive out to the site every day after work to check on it and most of the time he would find something wrong.

One example: There was supposed to be a window on the landing. He drove out to the site when they were putting the walls in and reminded them about the window. The window was on the blueprints. The next day he drove out. No window.
    He told the contractor about it and the contractor started whining, "Well now I've got to cut this and move that..." he said, "I don't care. I want a window." The contractor said, "Well, it's going to cost extra for all this extra work." He said, "No, it is not going to cost a single dime extra. I'm paying for a window and I want a window!"
    Another few weeks went by before he finally got his window. Every day, he would remind them and every day, they would say, "Yes, yes, we'll get to it."
    He finally got the window, but you can imagine how stressful those days were.

And that's just one example. There were many others: Missing or misplaced phone jacks and electrical outlets was another real hassle as I recall.

Anyway, be prepared for lots of stress, and enjoy your new home!

Don't read this.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Omaha too, we are fortunate that there is still a lot of uninhabited land and many contractors so it is cheap and easy to build. I bought an existing home and it faces south and has a lot of mature trees. This is great for my energy bill, but it gets really dark so make sure you consider how much natural light you want for your house. Like I said I wish I had more sunlight, some people could care less though. I don't know if you have still have time but I would try to build it on a level lot, makes it much easier to re-sell. I know these are hard to come by in Omaha though. I agree with the post about Crown Mouldings and chair rail, that is one of the cheapest ways to class up a room. I would wire it to put ceiling fans in any room you can, that is another great thing for resale and keeping energy costs down. Make sure you keep your fence and deck stained I hate how no one in this town seems to do that. Also get yourself a hot-tub for your patio, they are awesome for the crappy winters here, mine was the best thing that ever happened to me

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:56 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wife & I have been in our house 4 years now. We built right scross the street from where we lived before. That was a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that it was easy to see just what was going on daily. A curse in that it was easy to see just what was going on daily. Ultimately you need to have a good relationship w/ your builder. Not buddy-buddy good but business good because this is one of the largest investments you'll ever make & it's easier for all parties involved if you keep things on a business level. That way when there's a delay on something (and there will be) You won't feel so bad about crawling his/her behind to get it straight.

When specifying colors, materials & specific model numbers of fixtures (plumbing, lighting etc) submit written lists that you have reviewed w/ the builder. Case in point, we spec'd a certain brand & color of stain for our cabinetry. The painter used the right name color but the wrong brand which was a totally different color than we spec'd. End result, All of our upper cabinets had to be ripped out & re-built at the painter's cost. When asked why he used the stain he did he referred to the list that clearly had the proper brand & color on it.

In regards to upgrades, think about the hassle & cost to change later. That's why we went ahead w/ wood & tile floors as opposed to carpet & linoleum. It cost more up front but we viewed it as an inevitable that we'd be doing in 5-10 years anyway so we went ahead w/ it. We skimped some on light fixtures 'cause they're an easy upgrade later on. We completely demolished the appliance allowance though & just payed for those out of pocket during construction. Same thing w/ plumbing fixtures, cabinet pulls, water heater & other misc stuff.

Wire to the gills. Insulate to the gills. Document wiring & plumbing w/ pics/video before sheetrock. We recognized a missing outlet that way. Don't take anyone's word that something was done to your liking. Look for yourself & let it be known immediately if you aren't satisfied. You don't have to be a prick but you certainly don't have to be a push over either. Find that healthy balance.

When the plumber is done & water is turned on. Check every single supply line for leaks. I mean every sink, tub, shower, toilet, everything. Then check them again. Make sure the plumber double wax seals your toilets & doesn't caulk around the bases.

No offense to any plumbers or painters in the room, but those two crafts seem to have the least conciensious guys on the job site.

Sorry for the random rambling. It will be stressful at times but well worth it in the end.

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

The only thing I can say is get a good marriage counselor.

Everyone I have ever known (4 couples) who built a house almost got a divorce during the process. No divorces actually occured, but they were all close.

As for the actual building...expect to spend 10-20% more than you have planned for.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Make sure the plumber double wax seals your toilets & doesn't caulk around the bases.
    I haven't heard this before. Why not caulk around the base?

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog5 View Post
    I thought if I left it a little open ended it might might generate some discussion of some things I would not even think to ask.

The deal is, we put some money down, but the builder builds on his money then we purchase the finished home for the pre-determined cost. He has built many homes in this neighborhood and the people I have talked to have been pleased. We have signed off on the plans, but the digging hasn't started yet.

Anyway I was just wondering what to look for during various phases of the construction process.

Any mistakes other people have made.

And just any nifty little features other people have built or added to their house. Like lighting, cabinets, plumbing etc...

For example in our current house, we have this extra wide wood trim. It really adds a nice touch.

My wife has already nixed the Van Halen bathroom
    Main thing is to make sure it is well insulated, and be sure to buy good fixtures. I've worked for a building center for 5 years and people often don't go with good enough fixtures. Brand name toilets and faucets will save you years of agony. Pex pipe is a good idea too, an alternative to copper which allows you better water pressure when more than one thing is in use; such as showering and having the washer running. I'm more of a paint expert than anything, so when you get to that point down the road, pm me.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
    I haven't heard this before. Why not caulk around the base?
    Caulking around the base can conceal problems if they occur. The double wax seal is a good idea, but not necessary if your flange is flush with the floor. Even so, some people prefer to do it anyways. And for the record, get a dual flush toilet, American Standard has a model called Champion 4 which is a phenomenal toilet; so popular here we have a hard time meeting the demand.

I should mention to that my main area in paint is avoiding problems like the ones Ted is likely referring to, i.e. wrong paint type, wrong sheen, wrong primer, wrong methods of paint prep, etc.