Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Combo Amp

I need all of your input. I have the 5150 I, II, and III heads. I have 3 5150 III cabinets and I am tired of lugging a 1/2 stack to the gigs when I could easily complete the job with a combo. I never go above 3 miked on my heads. Which means they really never get to work.

I figure a good 60 watt combo amp would be good. I do NOT want something with built in effects. I am a stomp guy, and my board is perfect.

What I need to know is, could you give me some recommendations on a good 212 combo with an effects loop? I was thinking 5150 combo, but I wanna see what your take is. I was also thinking on picking up a 212 cabinet and just using that and one of my heads. I have a line 6 212 ax2, but that sound is just so manufactured. I dont like it for gigs.

Thanks.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I have a late 1980's Mesa/Boogie Mark III 60 watt combo amp with a single 12" Electro Voice EV12L 200 watt speaker. This amp does sparkly clean (the Mark series was derived from Fender) to Marshall-like crunch to over the top singing gain. It is not like the Mesa Rectifier series. It has two 6L6 or El34 power tubes- they can be swapped. The amp has an effects loop which works great with my pedal board. The thing is, a 60 watt tube combo amp is still going to be loud, and this one is a real backbreaker. When you see the relatively small size you think you can pick it right up, but it's so heavy you'd think it was made out of lead. Still it's definitely smaller than a 4 x 12 half stack cab and easy to fit into any car. When using gain, anything over 3 on the master volume can be deafening with this amp so you're still not pushing the power tubes very hard. There is a ton of clean headroom.

I sometimes use it with a Mesa/Boogie Thiele-ported extension cab also with the EV12L 200w speaker. That closed back cab helps a little with low end punch. The combo itself has a half open back and has great tone, but you're not going to get that punchy 4 x 12 closed back cab low end with a open-back combo. This combo amp will definitely get you heard in a band mix. Back in the day, Mesa combos were miked backstage behind walls of Marshalls that were there for appearance only.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As for the 5150 Combo... I have owned 3 of them. They are really nice sounding amps, but they DO NOT sound just like either the 5150 or 5150 II. It is an amp all on its own. The schematic actually has many differences when compared to the original 5150 head.

So overall, it's up to personal preference whether you like it, or the 5150 or 5150 II best, they are all great amps... just don't get a combo and expect it to sound dead on like your heads.

Another concern is lugging around the combo. It is extremely akward/large to carry, and it weighs a good 90+ pounds...
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 10.21.09 at 11:14 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A friend of mine just picked up a Riverra a while back. He loves it. I've been meaning to check one out. for the hell of it. I've got a Vox AD 50 VT that sounds killer with one 12" speaker, but they do make em with 2x12"'s. It's a cool amp, and it also has the 12ax7 tube Reactor Valve which means you can dime the amp, and attenuate it to whatever you like and get that natural tube distortion. I was'nt even remotely interested in modelling amps until I heard the Vox....and I picked it up then and there. It sees more duty now than any other amp I own. I got sick of lugging around my halfstack too. My back thanks me now!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very Simple..

THIS sucker will blow your mind. 2 channel, clear and OD..and does'nt even need someting on top to play any kind of metal stuff you would like to play. to Metallica to VH in a beat.

50w tube amp, clean is VERY clean. Effect loop, Spring reverb and that's it.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    As for the 5150 Combo... I have owned 3 of them. They are really nice sounding amps, but they DO NOT sound just like either the 5150 or 5150 II. It is an amp all on its own. The schematic actually has many differences when compared to the original 5150 head.

So overall, it's up to personal preference whether you like it, or the 5150 or 5150 II best, they are all great amps... just don't get a combo and expect it to sound dead on like your heads.

Another concern is lugging around the combo. It is extremely akward/large to carry, and it weighs a good 90+ pounds...
    Yeah... awkward is one word for it. There are no recessed handles on the 5150 combo, and it's actually a couple of inches wider than a 4x12 cab. I bought the combo to use at "smaller" gigs, and it turns out the thing is harder to haul than a cab and head. It sounds freakin' great, though. I've used it in the studio like crazy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Very Simple..

THIS sucker will blow your mind. 2 channel, clear and OD..and does'nt even need someting on top to play any kind of metal stuff you would like to play. to Metallica to VH in a beat.

50w tube amp, clean is VERY clean. Effect loop, Spring reverb and that's it.

Those are sweet amps Al!
    I got to check one out at Long & Mcquade. Sound just incredible. It's gotta be one of the most versatile amps out there for both clean and distorted tones. Mind me asking how much it set you back?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Those are sweet amps Al!
    I got to check one out at Long & Mcquade. Sound just incredible. It's gotta be one of the most versatile amps out there for both clean and distorted tones. Mind me asking how much it set you back?
    it's about 2399$. in Canada 2599$. and worth EVERY penny. We had a Jam the other day, 4 players, kinda of a mini amp fest, we had 7 amps, over 20 guitars and coutnless effect, je jammed for 10 hrs..LOL. EVERYONE loved the orange. i plug-ed if in a 4x12 vintage marshall with greenbacks...GOD DAMN...hhehehe

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would just go with a 2x 12 cab & your heads you have. 2x12 combos are HEAVY !!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 2,850 Times in 1,065 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

+1 on the 2x12 comment. I use my 5150III with an Avatar 2x12 with Eminence Legned GB1216's in it. Sounds fantastic, easy to transport, and is priced right.

Or if you really want a combo, I'd recommend an Orange (like al3d's) or the new Egnater Renegade 65.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    it's about 2399$. in Canada 2599$. and worth EVERY penny. We had a Jam the other day, 4 players, kinda of a mini amp fest, we had 7 amps, over 20 guitars and coutnless effect, je jammed for 10 hrs..LOL. EVERYONE loved the orange. i plug-ed if in a 4x12 vintage marshall with greenbacks...GOD DAMN...hhehehe
    Haha!!! Sounds like fun Al! It's great getting together with a mountain of gear and blowing the doors off a room. The price is close to out here in Vancouver; around $2.800.00. Seems like you guys in Quebec get a little better deal gear wise. Everything seems to be jacked up out here. Nice place to live, but you gotta have a healthy collection of arms and legs kicking around to get by. Kind of why I started the Regional pricing thread. My buddy lives in Alberta now, and he says he can't believe how much less alot of commodities are there, including gear......and no Provincial sales tax to boot! Makes me jealous.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. My buddy lent me his Port City oversized 212 cab. It sounds better than the 5150 III cab!

I think I am going with the 212 cab and use the heads that I have. He will sell me the port city for $300.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 2,850 Times in 1,065 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What speakers are in the cab you're picking up?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    What speakers are in the cab you're picking up?
    Celestion Vintage 30's. Is that good? I am not a big amp technical dude so I would not know. It is a Port City 212 OS. It sounds really good! Better than the 5150 III cab!

So here is another stupid question. I can only assume that I will have to play at a louder volume with a 212 vice the 412. I think that will be good using the 5150 head seeing that I usually play between 2 and 3 miked. That head probably does not even begin to work until 3 or 4 I have heard.

Any truth to this?

I am going to go with the Port City 212 cab unless you know something I dont. They seem to be very reputable cabs, and somewhat expensive. Once again, thanks for all the input!
    Last edited by dtuner317; 10.21.09 at 04:32 PM.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To me..the Celestion V30 is THE best speaker for Rock to metal sound, and even it's clean sound is awsome.

at 300$ it's a WOW deal, each speaker costs around 125$.

Quote Originally Posted by dtuner317 View Post
    Celestion Vintage 30's. Is that good? I am not a big amp technical dude so I would not know. It is a Port City 212 OS. It sounds really good! Better than the 5150 III cab!

So here is another stupid question. I can only assume that I will have to play at a louder volume with a 212 vice the 412. I think that will be good using the 5150 head seeing that I usually play between 2 and 3 miked. That head probably does not even begin to work until 3 or 4 I have heard.

Any truth to this?

I am going to go with the Port City 212 cab unless you know something I dont. They seem to be very reputable cabs, and somewhat expensive. Once again, thanks for all the input!