Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default SEYMOUR DUNCAN CUSTOM 5

Hey. Anyone tried this pickup? I mentioned this in the other nitro/build thread I started, but here's the deal. I picked up a new JB, and the Custom 5. I was gonna try 'em both out. I figured whatever one I don't use on this project, I'd find a home for the other in another project. Whichever one I decide on is going in my single humbucker guitar I'm redoing. The body is poplar, with a maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The guitar's body is a little scaled down in size from say a Pacer. I'm just rethinking returning the C5 if you guys have had less than stellar reviews, as the store I got it at just received a new batch of pickups which include Pearly Gates, the one I had in mind of buying. If it's a decent selection according to you guys, then I'll keep it. It's supposed to be a souped up 59'.
    let me know.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Hey. Anyone tried this pickup? I mentioned this in the other nitro/build thread I started, but here's the deal. I picked up a new JB, and the Custom 5. I was gonna try 'em both out. I figured whatever one I don't use on this project, I'd find a home for the other in another project. Whichever one I decide on is going in my single humbucker guitar I'm redoing. The body is poplar, with a maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The guitar's body is a little scaled down in size from say a Pacer. I'm just rethinking returning the C5 if you guys have had less than stellar reviews, as the store I got it at just received a new batch of pickups which include Pearly Gates, the one I had in mind of buying. If it's a decent selection according to you guys, then I'll keep it. It's supposed to be a souped up 59'.
    let me know.
    I love mine. It came in my Charvel custom shop. I took it out and put it in my Alder strat. Sounds great. Good choice! JB are a classic, they will never sound bad.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dont know if this will help but......
    I put a SH14 Cusstom 5 in an alder strat type.
    Sounded real nice. Very "leadish" but kinda on the brite side.
    Im thinikng in a poplar body it may be too brite.
    Im just goin from what I've heard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Dont know if this will help but......
    I put a SH14 Cusstom 5 in an alder strat type.
    Sounded real nice. Very "leadish" but kinda on the brite side.
    Im thinikng in a poplar body it may be too brite.
    Im just goin from what I've heard.
    I have one in a Tiger replica that I built...very "leadish" in my guitar. It's great for cutting through the mix, pretty hot. I still believe the 59 is the way to go for that all around warm tone (I have it in my Frankie)

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I put one in a Wolfgang once and wasn't crazy about it. I honestly don't recall why, though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Not a fan, a little bitey for me.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. I figured it might be a little brighter than the JB. It was a total impulse buy. I had read a little about it in the past, but it was the first time I saw it at my store. Based on what you guys have said, it might be a little too bright for a poplar body with a Floyd.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a Duncan Custom Custom in a basswood guitar, and although I really like the feel of it, it is WAY to bitey and bright for my 5150, at least so far. How do you guys feel it compares to the JB and the 59 (for a floyd guitar)?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.14.10 @ 04:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I put a Custom Custom in my PRS, love it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I've got a Duncan Custom Custom in a basswood guitar, and although I really like the feel of it, it is WAY to bitey and bright for my 5150, at least so far. How do you guys feel it compares to the JB and the 59 (for a floyd guitar)?
    I like the Custom Custom in ash body guitars. I have'nt tried one in a poplar or alder guitar. I have a 59 in the bridge of my SG, and I love it. It works real well with the Gibson 57 Classic in the neck. Nice contrast, and the volume range isn't too out of wack. Some combinations are just so unbalanced in two pickup guitars. I took back the Custom 5 on the weekend. I don't think I'll regret doing that. I think with all the input i got from you guys, I made the right choice sticking with the JB. I know that for cleans, their less than inspiring, but for my main lead tone, which is probably how I'll use this guitar predominantly, they sound fantastic. Maybe one of these days when I get more time, I'll pull out my old equipment, and start winding my own again. I still use the one I made years ago in my Frankie, and it sounds awesome. Pulls of the VH style stuff very well.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I like the Custom Custom in ash body guitars. I have'nt tried one in a poplar or alder guitar. I have a 59 in the bridge of my SG, and I love it. It works real well with the Gibson 57 Classic in the neck. Nice contrast, and the volume range isn't too out of wack. Some combinations are just so unbalanced in two pickup guitars. I took back the Custom 5 on the weekend. I don't think I'll regret doing that. I think with all the input i got from you guys, I made the right choice sticking with the JB. I know that for cleans, their less than inspiring, but for my main lead tone, which is probably how I'll use this guitar predominantly, they sound fantastic. Maybe one of these days when I get more time, I'll pull out my old equipment, and start winding my own again. I still use the one I made years ago in my Frankie, and it sounds awesome. Pulls of the VH style stuff very well.
    Ah... I figured it was more of an "Ash pickup". That makes since to me.

Well, I'm sure I'll hold onto it for another darker-tone guitar if I end up pulling it from the basswood guitar. Like I said before, awesome feel, effortless harmonics. Really hot. But just to hot for the 5150.

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

amazing pickup, I would say it's between the JB and Custom Custom sonically, not as harsh or high gain as the JB and has more definition and clarity than the custom custom. I have owned a ton of pickups and the Custom 5 is my favorite of all