Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default SEYMOUR DUNCAN CUSTOM 5

    Hey. Anyone tried this pickup? I mentioned this in the other nitro/build thread I started, but here's the deal. I picked up a new JB, and the Custom 5. I was gonna try 'em both out. I figured whatever one I don't use on this project, I'd find a home for the other in another project. Whichever one I decide on is going in my single humbucker guitar I'm redoing. The body is poplar, with a maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The guitar's body is a little scaled down in size from say a Pacer. I'm just rethinking returning the C5 if you guys have had less than stellar reviews, as the store I got it at just received a new batch of pickups which include Pearly Gates, the one I had in mind of buying. If it's a decent selection according to you guys, then I'll keep it. It's supposed to be a souped up 59'.
    let me know.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  2. #2
    Hot For Teacher dtuner317's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.09
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    223
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Hey. Anyone tried this pickup? I mentioned this in the other nitro/build thread I started, but here's the deal. I picked up a new JB, and the Custom 5. I was gonna try 'em both out. I figured whatever one I don't use on this project, I'd find a home for the other in another project. Whichever one I decide on is going in my single humbucker guitar I'm redoing. The body is poplar, with a maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The guitar's body is a little scaled down in size from say a Pacer. I'm just rethinking returning the C5 if you guys have had less than stellar reviews, as the store I got it at just received a new batch of pickups which include Pearly Gates, the one I had in mind of buying. If it's a decent selection according to you guys, then I'll keep it. It's supposed to be a souped up 59'.
    let me know.
    I love mine. It came in my Charvel custom shop. I took it out and put it in my Alder strat. Sounds great. Good choice! JB are a classic, they will never sound bad.

  3. #3
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.04.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,058
    Last Online

    07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Dont know if this will help but......
    I put a SH14 Cusstom 5 in an alder strat type.
    Sounded real nice. Very "leadish" but kinda on the brite side.
    Im thinikng in a poplar body it may be too brite.
    Im just goin from what I've heard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

    www.ronscustomguitars.com

  4. #4
    Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.04
    Posts
    143
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Likes
    35
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Dont know if this will help but......
    I put a SH14 Cusstom 5 in an alder strat type.
    Sounded real nice. Very "leadish" but kinda on the brite side.
    Im thinikng in a poplar body it may be too brite.
    Im just goin from what I've heard.
    I have one in a Tiger replica that I built...very "leadish" in my guitar. It's great for cutting through the mix, pretty hot. I still believe the 59 is the way to go for that all around warm tone (I have it in my Frankie)

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I put one in a Wolfgang once and wasn't crazy about it. I honestly don't recall why, though.

  6. #6
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,719
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Likes
    1,264
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

    Default

    Not a fan, a little bitey for me.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  7. #7
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for all the input guys. I figured it might be a little brighter than the JB. It was a total impulse buy. I had read a little about it in the past, but it was the first time I saw it at my store. Based on what you guys have said, it might be a little too bright for a poplar body with a Floyd.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I've got a Duncan Custom Custom in a basswood guitar, and although I really like the feel of it, it is WAY to bitey and bright for my 5150, at least so far. How do you guys feel it compares to the JB and the 59 (for a floyd guitar)?

  9. #9
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    04.12.01
    Posts
    81
    Last Online

    09.14.10 @ 04:55 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I put a Custom Custom in my PRS, love it!

  10. #10
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I've got a Duncan Custom Custom in a basswood guitar, and although I really like the feel of it, it is WAY to bitey and bright for my 5150, at least so far. How do you guys feel it compares to the JB and the 59 (for a floyd guitar)?
    I like the Custom Custom in ash body guitars. I have'nt tried one in a poplar or alder guitar. I have a 59 in the bridge of my SG, and I love it. It works real well with the Gibson 57 Classic in the neck. Nice contrast, and the volume range isn't too out of wack. Some combinations are just so unbalanced in two pickup guitars. I took back the Custom 5 on the weekend. I don't think I'll regret doing that. I think with all the input i got from you guys, I made the right choice sticking with the JB. I know that for cleans, their less than inspiring, but for my main lead tone, which is probably how I'll use this guitar predominantly, they sound fantastic. Maybe one of these days when I get more time, I'll pull out my old equipment, and start winding my own again. I still use the one I made years ago in my Frankie, and it sounds awesome. Pulls of the VH style stuff very well.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  11. #11
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I like the Custom Custom in ash body guitars. I have'nt tried one in a poplar or alder guitar. I have a 59 in the bridge of my SG, and I love it. It works real well with the Gibson 57 Classic in the neck. Nice contrast, and the volume range isn't too out of wack. Some combinations are just so unbalanced in two pickup guitars. I took back the Custom 5 on the weekend. I don't think I'll regret doing that. I think with all the input i got from you guys, I made the right choice sticking with the JB. I know that for cleans, their less than inspiring, but for my main lead tone, which is probably how I'll use this guitar predominantly, they sound fantastic. Maybe one of these days when I get more time, I'll pull out my old equipment, and start winding my own again. I still use the one I made years ago in my Frankie, and it sounds awesome. Pulls of the VH style stuff very well.
    Ah... I figured it was more of an "Ash pickup". That makes since to me.

    Well, I'm sure I'll hold onto it for another darker-tone guitar if I end up pulling it from the basswood guitar. Like I said before, awesome feel, effortless harmonics. Really hot. But just to hot for the 5150.

  12. #12
    Hot For Teacher mike-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.04.07
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    263
    Last Online

    02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    amazing pickup, I would say it's between the JB and Custom Custom sonically, not as harsh or high gain as the JB and has more definition and clarity than the custom custom. I have owned a ton of pickups and the Custom 5 is my favorite of all

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone Have a '78 EVH Seymour Duncan Pickup?
    By Brett in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08.14.11, 05:04 AM
  2. seymour duncan blackbacks
    By J_Alexander in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09.12.05, 04:51 AM
  3. seymour duncan '59
    By dr.bullet in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07.06.05, 06:08 PM
  4. Seymour Duncan custom shop EVH
    By 51501984 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10.25.02, 04:09 PM
  5. Seymour Duncan EVH Custom Shop
    By MOJODOJO in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08.13.02, 09:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •