Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default First-grader suspended over camping utensil

Six-year-old Zachary Christie was so excited to become a Cub Scout that he brought his camping utensil to school. The tool serves as a spoon, a fork and a knife, and Zachary wanted to use it at lunch.

What Zachary didn't know was that the gizmo violated his school's zero-tolerance policy on weapons. And now the Christina School District in Newark, Del., has suspended the first grader and ordered him to attend the district's reform school for 45 days.

Zachary's parents insist their son did not intend to hurt anyone, and they are fighting to overturn the ruling.

"Zachary wears a suit and tie some days to school by his own choice because he takes school so seriously," Zachary's mother, Debbie Christie, told the New York Times. "He is not some sort of threat to his classmates."

The school district, in a statement, said rules are rules and defended its decision to suspend the boy.

"At this time, the Student Code of Conduct does not take into consideration a child's age in a Level three offense," the statement read.

"This is the first incident this year involving a student under the age of seven in possession of a dangerous instrument. Christina School District staff and the Christina Board of Education are constantly examining ways to improve policies regarding student discipline."

At a meeting with the school disciplinary committee last week, Zachary's karate instructor and his mother’s fiancé made the case for the boy's character.

And Zachary's mother has started a Web site to attract support for her son before a meeting of the school board on Tuesday.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...89424#33289424
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovevh View Post
    Six-year-old Zachary Christie was so excited to become a Cub Scout that he brought his camping utensil to school. The tool serves as a spoon, a fork and a knife, and Zachary wanted to use it at lunch.

What Zachary didn't know was that the gizmo violated his school's zero-tolerance policy on weapons. And now the Christina School District in Newark, Del., has suspended the first grader and ordered him to attend the district's reform school for 45 days.

Zachary's parents insist their son did not intend to hurt anyone, and they are fighting to overturn the ruling.

"Zachary wears a suit and tie some days to school by his own choice because he takes school so seriously," Zachary's mother, Debbie Christie, told the New York Times. "He is not some sort of threat to his classmates."

The school district, in a statement, said rules are rules and defended its decision to suspend the boy.

"At this time, the Student Code of Conduct does not take into consideration a child's age in a Level three offense," the statement read.

"This is the first incident this year involving a student under the age of seven in possession of a dangerous instrument. Christina School District staff and the Christina Board of Education are constantly examining ways to improve policies regarding student discipline."

At a meeting with the school disciplinary committee last week, Zachary's karate instructor and his mother’s fiancé made the case for the boy's character.

And Zachary's mother has started a Web site to attract support for her son before a meeting of the school board on Tuesday.

"Zachary wears a suit and tie some days to school by his own choice because he takes school so seriously,"???

I think I'd worry about this kid having a weapon.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    "Zachary wears a suit and tie some days to school by his own choice because he takes school so seriously,"???

I think I'd worry about this kid having a weapon.
    No kidding. The image of an overly-officious hall monitor gone haywire certainly comes to mind.

In twenty years or so he should make an excellent candidate for certain local police departments.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovevh View Post

"Zachary wears a suit and tie some days to school by his own choice because he takes school so seriously," Zachary's mother, Debbie Christie, told the New York Times.
    That...is something the Mother should have kept a secret. That's a little weird. But who cares.

This story is down right RIDICULOUS. I mean...how do you defend something like this? This kid shouldn't even NEED to be defended. He brought a tool to class to show to his friends. And then...IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION?!?!?

I think this story proves that common sense has officialy gone out the door, left the room and left the building.

Jesus. Aren't there any smart adult authority figures out there?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Aren't there any smart adult authority figures out there?
    not in this school i guess

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Aren't there any smart adult authority figures out there?
    The pay scale pretty much precludes this.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    not in this school i guess
    Out of ALL the places there should be.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yep...next thing you know, the schools will be banning fresh fruit...you just never know when some deranged kid will go nuts with a banana.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

I don't know..he sure looks like a bad~ass problem child.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

nothing wrong with taking the knife and telling the parents that maybe the president of the young republicans club shouldn't be bringing it back to school. Sounds like one of the these situations where a kid got caught in "zero-tolerance" policy.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

So glad I don't have to raise kids in these times...too many morons in positions of power....

A 17-year-old Eagle Scout in upstate New York has been barred from stepping foot on school grounds for 20 days — for keeping a 2-inch pocketknife locked in a survival kit in his car.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,565520,00.html
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    So glad I don't have to raise kids in these times...too many morons in positions of power....

A 17-year-old Eagle Scout in upstate New York has been barred from stepping foot on school grounds for 20 days — for keeping a 2-inch pocketknife locked in a survival kit in his car.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,565520,00.html
    Absolutely unbelievable. The worst part is that this ridiculous and completely unnecessary mark on his record may keep him from going to West Point, his dream school. Shit like this just sickens me....

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

at some point, we need to give people in power (like a principal) the ability to use judgement in making decisions. Zero-tolerance policies need not be so set in stone.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm sorry people. I was a den leader for the cub scouts. You are not allowed to take your knife to any function were knives are bannned. Let alone this kid is not old enough to have a cub scout knife. A scout knife is earned in the Bears. You get it by earning your wittling chip. Then and only then can you use it for special events. The parents are supposed to take your chip and knife away if you violate any of the rules. If you want I will get my old Bear book and list the requirments. He was not aloud to take it out of his house. His parents are doing this kid an injustice. They're wrong. It sounds to me, that they want nothing more than publicity

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

5:54 to 6:07 is how situations such as this should still be handled.

Every teacher I grew up with had the infamous bottom drawer. Some were even known to return your loot at the end of the school year.

These days, the first thing the parents do is call the local media and a lawyer... instead of adhering to the general PTA guidelines.

I saw the little tyke on HLN today. He was cute enough in his little suit and tie and wide eyed denouncement of the crisis, but he still could have put an eye out with that dangerous wilderness doodad.