Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:33 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Advice Please B/W Franky

Ok gentlemen,

I have that MeanStreet guitar that is just white that I've had for a while. I actually wanted to get rid of it, but haven't found any takers for the price I wanted. So I decided for fun I'll just paint it like the Black and White Frank. The guitar body and neck aren't 100% accurate, but whatever it will be fun.

It's been years since I did my Kramer 5150, which came out fine, but I just want to get some new advice.

I have some questions.

1. I just want to sand off the clearcoat the guitar currently has. What's the best method and grit of sandpaper for that?

2. What size tape for the larger stripes? I still have a lot of the expensive auto masking tape that I bought years ago for the 5150. Are the large stripes 1/2" or 3/4"? Jimi I know you just did yours I am sure you know. Also, I guess for the weird shaped striped pieces contact paper is the best bet there?

3. I was just going to use Krylon again, I had no issues before with it, and my 5150 looks fine 5 years later. I'm not looking to do an amazing paint job. Do I need to prime it or anything after I get the clearcoat off, or will the paint on there suffice for that?

4. Anything else I should know? Like I said, I did my 5150 years ago with no real issues, but I'm no master painter.

5. Oh lastly, I'll probably have to check several places. Does anyone want to trade a chrome OFR (preferably with the old-fashioned bar with the bolt), chrome Schallers, top-mounted R2 Floyd nut, and a chrome retainer bar for black versions? That's what I currently have on that guitar, and I want to switch everything to chrome.

Let me know. Gracias.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I have some questions.
    1. I just want to sand off the clearcoat the guitar currently has. What's the best method and grit of sandpaper for that?
    I would use a flexible sanding block like this one... med first, fine after.

2. What size tape for the larger stripes? I still have a lot of the expensive auto masking tape that I bought years ago for the 5150. Are the large stripes 1/2" or 3/4"? Jimi I know you just did yours I am sure you know. Also, I guess for the weird shaped striped pieces contact paper is the best bet there?
    3/4" electrical tape for the larger stripes, 1/8" 3M tape for the pin stripes, masking tape for the irregular shaped lines and the "moustache".

3. I was just going to use Krylon again, I had no issues before with it, and my 5150 looks fine 5 years later. I'm not looking to do an amazing paint job. Do I need to prime it or anything after I get the clearcoat off, or will the paint on there suffice for that?
    I've had no issues with Krylon and neither will you if your not looking for a clear factory finish appearance. And you no, don't need to use a primer either.

4. Anything else I should know? Like I said, I did my 5150 years ago with no real issues, but I'm no master painter.
    Let me know. Gracias.
    Make sure to apply multiple light coats of paint rather than a few heavy coats for optimum results.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 10.11.09 at 12:57 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Jimi, thanks a bunch, pretty much what I did before. And yes, several light coats, very key. Will post some pics and stuff as I go along, I just took the whole guitar apart.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

Jimi, thanks a bunch, pretty much what I did before. And yes, several light coats, very key. Will post some pics and stuff as I go along, I just took the whole guitar apart.
    Cool. Looking forward to see the whole process. You got plenty of knowledgeable people here to help you at every step of the way so, don't hesitate to reach out!
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep. Jimis gots ya started.
    Just remember one thing. Prep is paramount. When you sand it down, make that puppy as smooth as possible. Actually fill in any "dings" if there is any. This step takes a little time, but can determine an "ok" paintjob into a "sweet" paintjob.
    Keep us posted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I spent the last 3 hours sanding it down, there is actually no dings at all, I never really even played the guitar. I think it's pretty set, but I will look at it tomorrow before I paint it.

Thanks guys. I was gonna post pics before the paint, but not really any point. It's a white guitar.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Well here are some crappy quick shots with my Blackberry after I shot the black. Came out pretty good.

I do have one question. Should I sand down the black at all, I notice that there is roughness to it with the paint, or should I just stripe it and paint it white and then sand it when I'm all done? What's would you guys suggest?

Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:04 PM
    Liked 2,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I just finished my frankie a few days ago. I ended up staying at the black/white stage, in a few months I'll spray the red.

To answer your question, I did not sand between the black and the white. After the white, I used 320 grit sand paper for some of the relicing. Once I was done with that I went over the whole body lightly with 400 grit, just to even it out. I think it came out great.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Sweet dude, post pics of yours, I want to see. I may or may not relic this thing, haven't decided yet.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:04 PM
    Liked 2,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Are there any good close up pics from all angles of the Black and White Strat? I tried to go by Jimi's pics for how to do the stripes, but it's a bit hard to tell what goes where. Is there a nice blown up image of the front and back somewhere, so I can see exactly where the tape stops and ends.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brett...what kinda of body is that!....even with reference, i doubt you'll be able to match the stripes with this body. you'll need to improvise..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

It's a MeanStreet guitar, that's the body he uses for the Black and White. Bottom line is with the pickguard, you won't even be able to tell the difference unless you look under the Floyd and see it's recessed. I still need the proper layout, I'm not going to do it half-assed. I should be able to get it pretty close at least with the stripes in the right place. It's still a Strat body, shouldn't matter what the cavities look like.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

Are there any good close up pics from all angles of the Black and White Strat? I tried to go by Jimi's pics for how to do the stripes, but it's a bit hard to tell what goes where. Is there a nice blown up image of the front and back somewhere, so I can see exactly where the tape stops and ends.
    Remember Brett, the black stripes were done with only four (4) pieces of tape!

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Brett...what kinda of body is that!....even with reference, i doubt you'll be able to match the stripes with this body. you'll need to improvise..
    Alain has a valid point, Brett. The Meanstreet body's contours, in general and the horns, in particular, are different from the Franky's. This means that will not have accurate start and finish reference points to go by when taping it up.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 10.14.09 at 05:16 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a MeanStreet guitar, that's the body he uses for the Black and White. Bottom line is with the pickguard, you won't even be able to tell the difference unless you look under the Floyd and see it's recessed. I still need the proper layout, I'm not going to do it half-assed. I should be able to get it pretty close at least with the stripes in the right place. It's still a Strat body, shouldn't matter what the cavities look like.
    I'm sure you can make it look really nice, but that body is no where close to the shape of the frankie (unless your camera REALLY distorted the shape).

From the pics, it looks a lot more like a Kramer Barreta kind of shape.

If I were you, since the shape isn't dead on, just do a modified version of the same striping pattern by using points on the guitar as references, like points on the bridge, the neck pocket, the pickguard holes, etc. That will give you a really close and cool looking guitar, even though it will be spaced out differently in some parts.

I had to do the same thing with a frankie I made. The body was basically dead on, but it was a modern cheap strat style body, not the slightly longer boogie bodies type like Ed used. There was about 1/2" less body behind the trem, compared to Ed's, so I had to just go off of reference points and 'squeeze' the design down a bit to fit. It worked well enough that you can't tell the difference now unless you are holding it next to a pic of the real deal... so it's worth a try.