Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great White

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Clear Channel agrees to pay $22 million to Rhode Island nightclub fire victims

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Clear Channel Broadcasting has agreed to a $22 million settlement with survivors of a 2003 Rhode Island nightclub fire and relatives of those killed.

Lawyers for both sides have filed paperwork Wednesday indicating a tentative deal has been reached.

Hundreds of survivors and victims’ relatives sued after the February 2003 fire at the West Warwick club, which occurred when pyrotechnics used by the 1980s rock band Great White ignited flammable soundproofing around the stage.

The tentative deal with Clear Channel brings to more than $70 million the settlement money offered to victims’ relatives.

Clear Channel was sued because one of its radio stations sponsored the Great White concert by running on-air advertisements.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat...icleid=1073314
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Since this thread got bumped, I thought I'd add this computer simulation of what it was like inside. Not good.

Watch the clock. In less than two minutes, you can't see anything. Not good at all.

Last edited by Bullwinkle; 02.13.08 at 08:34 PM.

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Since this thread got bumped, I thought I'd add this computer simulation of what it was like inside. Not good.

Watch the clock. In less than two minutes, you can't see anything. Not good at all.

and yes, Fire Sprinklers DO Save Lives, and could have...

the above videos are very similar to a residential fire tests performed on various sprinklers you see in hotels and dormitories...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Clear Channel agrees to pay $22 million to Rhode Island nightclub fire victims

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Clear Channel Broadcasting has agreed to a $22 million settlement with survivors of a 2003 Rhode Island nightclub fire and relatives of those killed.

Lawyers for both sides have filed paperwork Wednesday indicating a tentative deal has been reached.

Hundreds of survivors and victims’ relatives sued after the February 2003 fire at the West Warwick club, which occurred when pyrotechnics used by the 1980s rock band Great White ignited flammable soundproofing around the stage.

The tentative deal with Clear Channel brings to more than $70 million the settlement money offered to victims’ relatives.

Clear Channel was sued because one of its radio stations sponsored the Great White concert by running on-air advertisements.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat...icleid=1073314
    As much as I dislike Clear Channel, this deal is bogus. Suing a radio station owner because their station played ads for the show? What's next, find some survivor and sue them for inviting someone to the show that didn't survive? Then maybe we can go back and sue everyone involved parents?

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    As much as I dislike Clear Channel, this deal is bogus. Suing a radio station owner because their station played ads for the show? What's next, find some survivor and sue them for inviting someone to the show that didn't survive? Then maybe we can go back and sue everyone involved parents?

What's confusing to me is that Clear Channel paid up.
    They wouldn't have paid unless there was some legal proof of liability, but I can't figure out what it would be.
    Surely Clear Channel has some good lawyers on retainer who know the law better than I do. They wouldn't have forked over $20 million just to be nice.

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

5 Years After a Nightclub Fire, Survivors Struggle to Remake Their Lives

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/us...rssnyt&emc=rss

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

5 YEARS AFTER FIRE, GREAT WHITE TOURING:
    February 19, 2008

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Police and firefighters showed up early for a recent Great White concert at a Cincinnati nightclub -- just to be sure no pyrotechnics would be used.

With a new tour and a new album, Great White has tried pressing forward since its pyrotechnics ignited the Feb. 20, 2003, fire that killed 100 people, including Great White guitarist Ty Longley, and injured 200 others at The Station nightclub in West Warwick.

Five years later, though,the band's connection to the deadly blaze is hard to shake.

Tony Heitz, manager of Annie's, the Cincinnati club where 600 fans enjoyed a show without any problems, noted that "you'd have to be in a cave" not to have heard about the fire.

The band, which enjoyed success in the 1980s with its blend of blues and hard rock, reunited last year with original members to mark their 25th anniversary, issued a new studio album and spent the last two months touring Europe.

They have steered clear of Rhode Island, where many victims' relatives still hold them at least partly responsible for the fire and remain upset that only the club owners, Jeffrey and Michael Derderian, and the band tour manager, Daniel Biechele, were held criminally responsible.

"I don't see why they are out there playing, why anybody would even want to go hear them," said Diane Mattera, whose daughter, Tammy Mattera-Housa, died.

After the fire, Mattera uprooted a memorial cross placed at the fire site for Longley and left a note saying the cross didn't belong there because Longley and the band had killed her daughter.

The band's label, Shrapnel Records, did not return calls for comment. An e-mail attempt to contact the band went unreturned.

Great White guitarist Mark Kendall told The Associated Press in a 2006 interview that The Station nightclub fire was a "full-blown American tragedy."

"I was sad to be a witness to it. It was just a nightmare," he said.

Hundreds of survivors and victims' relatives are suing the people who made up the band at the time of the fire (the band's lineup has changed several times). Their lawyer, Steven Richard, declined to comment because the case is still pending.

But fans, even those injured in the fire, have been more forgiving.

Linda Fisher, who suffered third-degree burns, still performs their signature ballad, "Save Your Love," on karaoke machines. She also sang it onstage with Great White lead singer Jack Russell at a concert in Pennsylvania months after the fire.

"I still think they screwed up, I still think they used poor judgment, but there's been nights where I used poor judgment," she said.

Great White laid low after the fire, then began touring to raise money for The Station Family Fund, which was created to help survivors with medical bills and other expenses.

Todd King, a fire survivor who helped found the fund, said while some victims' relatives were upset with Great White's fundraising role, the band raised about $100,000 for the fund.

"I had to weigh both ends against the middle," he said. "We were in dire need of funds, and they were raising funds."

But fund co-founder Theresa O'Toole said the band was probably helping itself as much as it was helping the survivors.

"They needed to do something to help their situation, and we were it," she said.

Great White emerged in the 1980s as part of the so-called "hair band" genre, where groups found success with a formula of loud guitars, power ballads -- and big hair. Their biggest hit was a cover of Ian Hunter's "Once Bitten Twice Shy," and they scored platinum albums and a Grammy nomination.

But by February 2003, their heyday had long passed and they were touring venues like The Station, a roadside nightclub in West Warwick with a capacity of less than 500 that routinely hosted 1980s rock groups and tribute bands to groups like KISS.

Courtesy of www.myspace.com/officialwednesday13

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Phoenix Rising! Musicians United: A Benefit for The Station Nightclub Fire Victims

Date February 25, 2008
    Venue Dunkin' Donuts Center
    1 La Salle Sq
    Providence, RI, United States
    Tickets $41.00 - $61.00
    Available: Ticketmaster

WINGER joins their fellow rockers in raising funds for the families and survivors of the Station Nightclub tragedy in Rhode Island.

The charity event marks the fifth anniversary of the Station Nightclub tragedy in Rhode Island, the fourth largest nightclub fire in U.S. history. 100 lives were lost, 200 others were seriously injured and 65 children lost one or both parents. Five years later, funds available for the survivors are woefully inadequate. Only 15 survivors of the fire qualified for Social Security benefits, and many are still unable to meet their monthly needs.

Dee Snider stated, “This event is about music fans desperately in need, so it’s important that “Phoenix Rising Musicians United to Benefit the Station Nightclub Fire Victims” be supported by musicians of all genres. We are so happy to welcome John Rich and his rowdy friends aboard for this very important mission.”

John Rich (Big & Rich), Alabama’s Randy Owen, Dierks Bentley, Kellie Pickler and Gretchen Wilson will be joining Aaron Lewis (Staind), Tesla, Twisted Sister, Kevin Max and Stryper featuring Tom Scholz and Gary Pihl of Boston and just added, Winger, among others.

All of the artists will be performing live on Monday, February 25, 2008 at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island. John Rich will host the country portion of the concert while Dee Snider will do the honors for the rock segments. Emmy-nominated composer and musician Marc Bonilla who will serve as music director for the benefit, Carmine Appice’s SLAM!, Eric Martin (Mr. Big), Danny Seraphine with CTA, Gary Hoey and others still to be announced.

All proceeds from ticket sales and charity auctions benefit the Station Family Fund, a non-profit 501 (c)(3) charitable organization founded by survivors of the Station Nightclub fire. The Station Family Fund is committed to providing survivor relief, including costs of ongoing treatment and rehabilitation.

The Station Family Fund, founded by survivors, family members and community members affected by the fire and the Wake Up To Love Foundation founded by Tesla drummer Troy Luccketta, his wife, Phyllis Luccketta are event organizers. While $100,000.00 was raised in 2005 from a benefit concert featuring Tesla, Shinedown, Pat Travers and Carmine Appice, those funds are in desperate need of replenishing.

Tickets are available at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, charge by phone at 401-331-2211, or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Prices range from $41.00 to $61.00.

For further information on the Station Family Fund and their work, please visit: www.stationfamilyfund.org

Schedule

Dee Snider host
    Twisted Sister headliner
    Tesla headliner
    Winger headliner
    Stryper headliner
    Marc Bonilla other
    Aaron Lewis headliner
    Kevin Max headliner
    Eric Martin headliner
    Gary Hoey headliner
    John Rich headliner
    Gretchen Wilson headliner
    Randy Owen headliner
    Dierks Bentley headliner
    Kellie Pickler headliner
    California Transit Authority headliner
    Carmine Appice other
    Tom Scholz headliner
    Gary Pihl headliner

Article courtesy of www.thegauntlet.com
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Also see: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/grea...re+great+white

Great White Offers $1 Mil To Settle Fire Suits

September 03, 2008 , 8:00 AM ET

Members of Great White, whose pyrotechnics sparked a Rhode Island nightclub fire that killed 100 people, have agreed to pay $1 million to survivors and victims' relatives, according to court papers filed yesterday (Sept. 2).

The settlement offer is the latest stemming from the February 2003 fire at The Station nightclub in West Warwick. Roughly $175 million has now been offered by dozens of defendants to settle lawsuits over the blaze, which also injured more than 200 people and was the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history.

The band does not admit any wrongdoing as part of the settlement, which requires the approval of the more than 300 people suing, among other conditions.

The blaze began when the band's tour manager, Daniel Biechele, shot off streams of pyrotechnics at the start of the concert. Sparks from the pyrotechnics ignited inexpensive packaging foam the club owners had used as soundproofing around the stage. One band member, guitarist Ty Longley, was killed in the fire.

Though the band members were never charged, Biechele pleaded guilty in 2006 to 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter and was paroled in March after serving less than half of his four-year prison sentence.

Biechele is covered under the settlement, as are lead singer Jack Russell and other members of the band at the time of the fire. The settlement also covers the record label, manager and management company of the band at the time of the fire.

Great White's insurer is covering the settlement. The insurer has previously said that $1 million was the maximum amount of the band's insurance policy.

The band has said it had permission for the pyrotechnics, something club owners Jeffrey and Michael Derderian have denied. Attorneys for the band did not return calls seeking comment.

No settlement money has been distributed so far. A Duke University law professor has been appointed to work out a formula to determine how much money each person should receive.

The victims and survivors sued several dozen defendants after the fire, including foam companies, the rock radio station that ran advertisements for the concert, the club owners and the local fire marshal who failed to cite the club for the foam on the walls and ceilings.

The state of Rhode Island and the town of West Warwick each agreed last month to settle for $10 million.

The case has been settled in piecemeal fashion over the past 12 months, effectively erasing the possibility of a trial that some victims' relatives had hoped could give them answers about the circumstances of the fire.

"I just feel that we're never going to get the answers we need that would put some of this to rest for us," said Chris Fontaine, whose son, Mark, was killed in the fire and whose daughter, Melanie, was badly injured.

She said she thought the band "was getting off easy" and would have faced a much more costly verdict if the case had gone to trial.

Besides Biechele, the only people charged as a result of the fire were the club owners, who pleaded no contest to 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter in 2006. Michael Derderian will be out on parole next year. Jeffrey Derderian was spared jail time and given community service and probation. The brothers have been sued but have received bankruptcy protection.
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003845218
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Just like everything in life...I can't believe this was over 5 years ago!!!!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I miss these guys. They had some rockin tuneage back in the day.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

RI club fire memorial being given new thought
    By ERIC TUCKER
    Associated Press Writer

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- The original plans for a permanent memorial at the site of a nightclub fire that killed 100 people envisioned placid gardens and winding paths, a stream and ripple pool, and a meeting house where visitors could gather in reflection amid the sounds of a wind-strummed Aeolian harp.

Now some elements of the design, unveiled last year at the fifth anniversary commemoration of the deadly Station nightclub fire in West Warwick, are being reconsidered amid concerns over longterm maintenance and even possible liability.

The design received broad support when it was selected. Now victims' relatives who consulted with construction experts say they're concerned that the lawn and greenery would demand too much upkeep, that open water might be a hazard for young children and that some building materials might not be durable enough, said Chris Fontaine, the president of the Station Fire Memorial Foundation whose son, Mark, died in the fire.

She said she's not sure what the final design will look like, or how much it will cost, but hopes it will incorporate at least some elements of the original, which she called "breathtaking."

"Where do you want to be 10 years from now, 20 years from now, 30 years from now, when we the board members are no longer here?" Fontaine asked. "As beautiful as it is, it's going to require a lot of maintenance."

The foundation has been raising donations for the memorial but fell far short of its goal during the recession, Fontaine said. Building the original design was estimated to cost more than $1 million, she said, though the creators say they always assumed costs could be reduced through donations from companies and individuals.

Help came when BuildRI, an association of 17 construction unions with about 10,000 workers, volunteered to donate as much material and manpower as possible. Those conversations with building experts led the foundation to rethink the original design, said Fontaine.

"We all want to assist the folks at the foundation and anyone affected by that. That's really what it boils down to," said Gregory Mancini, executive director and general counsel of BuildRI. "And we think we come to the table with a lot of people."

The sparse roadside property remains tied up in lawsuits over the fire, so no work could begin until the property is transferred to the foundation. It's not clear when that will happen.

The nightclub building was owned by Triton Realty and leased by club owners Jeffrey and Michael Derderian, who installed cheap packaging foam as soundproofing that was set ablaze by pyrotechnics during a concert by 1980s rock band Great White. The Feb. 20, 2003, fire killed 100 people and injured more than 200 others, and the Derderians pleaded no contest to involuntary manslaughter charges.

Since the fire, the land has been a makeshift memorial of crosses, photographs and other mementoes. Hundreds of people gather there each February to honor the anniversary with music, 100 seconds of silence and a recitation of the victims' names.

The foundation commissioned designs for a permanent memorial. The winning one was submitted by architect Stephen Greenleaf and Thomas Viall, the general manager of RI.gov.

The Station Fire Memorial Park, as it was known, called for gardens, a courtyard, meeting house, a pool and memorial steps honoring survivors and others, including emergency workers and volunteers. The highlight was an "Aeolian harp bridge" with 100 strings running along both sides to be played by the wind.

Viall and Greenleaf said they're no longer actively involved with the project and accept the foundation's prerogative to alter the design and seek new input.

But, Viall said, "I would be disappointed if it never got built, and I think I would be disappointed if at least we weren't talked to about what kind of adaptions would be necessary."

Greenleaf said it was always apparent that the design would require upkeep. He had hoped the foundation would be able to raise enough money to pay for it, and said he had even suggested ways to reduce the cost.

"We think it's appropriate that something happened down there, and we think our design is what the state needed," Greenleaf said. "That's not to say that it couldn't be changed or adjusted or tweaked."

Dave Kane, a foundation director whose 18-year-old son died in the fire, said it was logical to assume that people's interest in maintaining the memorial would wane over time, noting a drop in attendance at last February's memorial service.

"We're trying to be smart about it and make something that would take less maintenance - not because we don't care but because of the reality of taking care of it," he said.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a grand plan...how big of a bar was this?
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    a grand plan...how big of a bar was this?
    Fairly small. But it was jammed packed when the fire broke out.
    Bad situation all together.
    Its just a shame a memorial is cluttered with political horseshit.
    They should make Great White and the club owner do the upkeep.

Last edited by Ron4406; 10.11.09 at 12:33 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc View Post
    I miss these guys. They had some rockin tuneage back in the day.
    Yep, one of my favorite bands from back then. I always liked Mark Kendalls playing.
    Dealing with it.