Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Whatcha think?

So-
    After a little time away from the guitar, I felt it was time to come back to trying-stress trying-to improve on my guitar skills (I may ramble a bit to get my point across, so I apologize in advance). I've never claimed to be great, in fact, I consider myself a hack. I noodle a lot.

Last winter, I became friends with a guy named Jason, who loves a lot of the same things I do- comics, movies, and of course, he played guitar as well. Jason came over a few times, and for once, I actually was moving in the direction I wanted...I was learning songs ALL THE WAY THROUGH! Jason and I talked about doing a 2 piece acoustic group, where we would play some covers, as well as some originals. I threw out the idea that I think it would be cool to take some liked obscure songs you don't typically hear, and make them acoustic. Jason liked that (side note: I had Van Halens, "Hear About It Later" in there...try in on acoustic,and mellow it just a bit, it sounds AWESOME!), and so we were practicing.

But like all things, Jason got a job out in Maine working in the comics industry (he buys collections and sells them, if anyone is wondering), and thus, I'm back to square one. I put the guitars down and went back to focusing on things I need to in the military.

Well, I pulled out my Ibanez JS last night. Picked it up and noodled about it for a few hours. Got me to thinking, "I know only a few chords. I can practice and practice scales, but for the life of me, I couldn't exactly tell you how to get something out of them exactly..." Sure, I could also borrow and steal from the guys I admire (I know everyone does to a point), BUT I always read about finding your voicing. You know, when you hear someone like EVH, or Satch, or Malsteen play the guitar, how you can distinguish one from the other...and I get to thinking, man, where do I even start?

Furthermore, when I think to myself, sometimes I hear ideas...stuff that sounds great to me. but for the life of me, how in the heck do I get there? Theres SO MANY ways, but which path? I'd like to somewhat take a short distance...not saying be lazy, but find something that will excite me to learn, instead of just practice scales 9it gets boring), or maybe find more exciting chords...maybe find a more interesting way of learning?

I'm not rich by far...so dropping tons of cash on books, DVDs, CDs isn't exactly the way to go-not that I'm apposed, BUT if I'm going to buy this stuff, I don't want it sitting on the shelf with other books I don't use. If I'm going to buy it, it needs to be used.

Anyways, just some thoughts I felt I'd share with the community. Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcomed.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    I'm not rich by far...so dropping tons of cash on books, DVDs, CDs isn't exactly the way to go-not that I'm apposed, BUT if I'm going to buy this stuff, I don't want it sitting on the shelf with other books I don't use. If I'm going to buy it, it needs to be used.

Anyways, just some thoughts I felt I'd share with the community. Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcomed.
    There are about a billion instructional videos posted on YouTube - all free. I suggest searching for players who were at one time actual teachers, as their better at, well, teaching. Paul Gilbert comes to mind instantly and there are plenty of his lessons on YouTube. He's very good at breaking complicated things down and showing you how to do them slowly and then speed up. I'm sure Satch is up there to. Let's not forget he had a few students who aren't exactly slouches. You could also get used books, DVDs, CD Roms, etc., on Amazon and eBay. Good luck.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.07.11 @ 07:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

Site bookmarked. Thanks for sharing!
    Orange whip?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Best of luck with your new found passion for guitar. Lessons, instruction, dvd's, vhs lol, websites, youtube instructional clips etc etc can all help and should be explored but the bottom line is play your ass off. Everyday as much as you can. You want to improve? You want to develop your "own voice" and have it come out..play your ass off. If you enjoy it and love it it's not a tall order...it's more about the free time you have to do so. While practicing whatever lesson or drill or exercise you have been given or are fond of, pick tunes outside of your comfort zone, try to get em down by ear and play a lot.

No other way. Half ass = no progress.

All the best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150JAPE View Post
    Great call! Justin is very good