Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default PEAVEY Wolfgang prices ebay

Just wondering if anyone has bought a wolfgang off ebay recently. I had to liquidate all of mine a while back due to thinning the herd/financial difficulties syndrome. I've been looking and it seems like the majority of prices are insane.

These are a given:
    -I've owned every incarnation but a stoptail, custom shop or Wolf EXP which I don't consider an honest Wolf
    -We all know that Wolf's have been out of production for a few years
    -How the hell is it that Wolf prices are approaching so close to an equivalent EBMM

Now that that's out of the way - I've been noticing used Wolf standards that look like they've been hit by 20 ga birdshot priced over 1600 and given a 9.5 'bluebook'...somethin is just wrong here.
    Nothin new, but been noticin dudes parting out wolfs like they were GI joes or some shit and sellin the body for nothin and jackin up the price on the other remainin parts

If anyone can recommend any sellers to stay away from or to go ahead and buy from it would be appreciated...via pm would be best cause I don't wanna cause a shitstorm in here. I still have two EBMM's, but would like to have a wolf back in my arsenal, amongst other things
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I think that, for the most part, used Peavey Wolfgang prices have settled back to "normal" again. Like it was shortly before the EVH-Peavey split became known, a production Wolfgang arch top model went for on average about $1,200 (they sold new then for about $1,650). The solid basswood Specials went for about $600, and the flame top Specials went for somewhere in the middle. The highly sought-after colors tended to do a little better (purple flame and dark cherryburst, mainly). The stop tail models would always (and still do) go for a little less. Occasionally you could score a nice Wolfgang for a killer price, and occasionally you'd see people get into bidding wars and pay way too much for a used one. The custom shop models did well, as did first-year quilts. If there is any area of the used Peavey Wolfgang market that hasn't "normalized," I'd say it's those two groups. Those first-year quilts would sometimes go for $2,500 in '02, '03, and '04. Lately some have gone for far, far less than that. And sometimes custom shop Peavey Wolfgangs just don't sell; in the past there was almost always a buyer for whichever one appeared on eBay, even if it was $3,000-plus.

If you're looking at buy-it-now prices on arch top Peavey Wolfgangs, notice how the ones priced $1,500 or higher almost never sell. There have been a couple of nice purple ones lately that have only sold for around $1,250. A couple of years ago prices were through the roof. Since the economy tanked a year ago prices have come way down. There were some absolutely KILLER deals on Wolfs earlier this year. They're doing better now. It's definitely still a buyer's market, though.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A few months ago I bought a black patent pending Wolfgang off eBay for $800.00, which to me was way cheap. It was a "player" though, and required some work. A previous owner had spray painted the back flat black (trem and control covers too!) and the neck is pretty stained. I was able to remove all that paint and buff it out, and it looks great, not to mention that it also plays and sounds fantastic.

One issue it has though, is that the "A" saddle on the Floyd has been replaced with a non-Peavey saddle. The saddle that's there works, but I'd like to get an OEM saddle for it. I tried Peavey, but they only sell the whole bridge. So, does anyone have an "A" saddle for a Peavey Floyd they'd like to sell?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

The bottom line is these are sought out axes. There are a few factors that go into making a guitar collectable.It is a great guitar(most of the time to begin with) it is associated with a great player and it is discontinued. Well that pretty much sums up the Wolfgang. Andrew has stated a couple of good points that I also felt the same way about. But the bottom line is this ax is kind of unpredictable.Seven months ago I bought a few beautiful mint Wolfs and I mean mint axes in the $1,000 to $1,300 range then all of a sudden everyone was asking insane prices and you could not touch anything. I put the blame on 2 power sellers Pithespy and Royal music for flooding the listings and asking close to 2 grand and sometimes more for standard guitars and not budging from there prices. So anyone who had a guitar to sell just saw what these guys were asking and followed there lead.And as Mighty CH stated the seller Pithespy is asking for these prices on axes that are not even mint. Then things settled down a bit and you could grab a nice ax but then they shoot back up. The last three weeks I had seen axes go for $1,900-$1,860-$1,710 and two EXPs that that guy Pithespy sold for $1,050 each probably to some kid or guy who is clueless that they got ripped off.Plus I think there were a lot of us who bid on that mint Blue standard that sold for $2,100 last week as it had 17 different bidders out of 36 bids. To sum it up the Peavey Wolfgang is a guitar made and played by the top player of his time, is a great ax and no matter where you look as I have even looked outside the country is only going up and getting harder to find. As far as the parting out that one guy has been doing it for about five months now. I noticed he buys the low end US specials for about $500 and when he is done he makes back the same in profit doing it, and he was doing it at an amazing pace that has just slowed up now. I have no problem with the way anyone makes a buck when it comes to this, and everyone is entitled to ask the price they want for what is theres. The facts are that if you want a mint or near mint ax you are going to pay close to 2K for it and in a few years you will be paying over 2K for one as there is a nice size market for these axes which includes us. I have both Wolfs and EBMM EVHs and I would not part with a one at this stage in time as I have spent years,months,and hours finding them and all it is doing is getting harder to find them. The only colors I need for the Wolfs is Blue and Seafoam green. I am not worried about blue but how many Seafoams do you see.lol In 8 months I have come across three, 2 guys are holding on to theres and it will be a cold day in hell before I give that guy on ebay $2,450 I even wrote him and asked since he had the guitar up for 6 months if he would be willing to come down to a workable price and he said that outside of the big scratch on the back the guitar is practicly new so thanks but no thanks.lol. I think this describes it best as the guy he bought the guitar from for $1,300 wrote and asked him and this is true because it was on his page a few months back. What have you done to the guitar or improvements have you made that made it worth so much,and he replied NONE these guitars are no longer made and highly collectable. NUFF SAID

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by straycat113 View Post
    The bottom line is these are sought out axes. There are a few factors that go into making a guitar collectable.It is a great guitar(most of the time to begin with) it is associated with a great player and it is discontinued. Well that pretty much sums up the Wolfgang. Andrew has stated a couple of good points that I also felt the same way about. But the bottom line is this ax is kind of unpredictable.Seven months ago I bought a few beautiful mint Wolfs and I mean mint axes in the $1,000 to $1,300 range then all of a sudden everyone was asking insane prices and you could not touch anything. I put the blame on 2 power sellers Pithespy and Royal music for flooding the listings and asking close to 2 grand and sometimes more for standard guitars and not budging from there prices. So anyone who had a guitar to sell just saw what these guys were asking and followed there lead.And as Mighty CH stated the seller Pithespy is asking for these prices on axes that are not even mint. Then things settled down a bit and you could grab a nice ax but then they shoot back up. The last three weeks I had seen axes go for $1,900-$1,860-$1,710 and two EXPs that that guy Pithespy sold for $1,050 each probably to some kid or guy who is clueless that they got ripped off.Plus I think there were a lot of us who bid on that mint Blue standard that sold for $2,100 last week as it had 17 different bidders out of 36 bids. To sum it up the Peavey Wolfgang is a guitar made and played by the top player of his time, is a great ax and no matter where you look as I have even looked outside the country is only going up and getting harder to find. As far as the parting out that one guy has been doing it for about five months now. I noticed he buys the low end US specials for about $500 and when he is done he makes back the same in profit doing it, and he was doing it at an amazing pace that has just slowed up now. I have no problem with the way anyone makes a buck when it comes to this, and everyone is entitled to ask the price they want for what is theres. The facts are that if you want a mint or near mint ax you are going to pay close to 2K for it and in a few years you will be paying over 2K for one as there is a nice size market for these axes which includes us. I have both Wolfs and EBMM EVHs and I would not part with a one at this stage in time as I have spent years,months,and hours finding them and all it is doing is getting harder to find them. The only colors I need for the Wolfs is Blue and Seafoam green. I am not worried about blue but how many Seafoams do you see.lol In 8 months I have come across three, 2 guys are holding on to theres and it will be a cold day in hell before I give that guy on ebay $2,450 I even wrote him and asked since he had the guitar up for 6 months if he would be willing to come down to a workable price and he said that outside of the big scratch on the back the guitar is practicly new so thanks but no thanks.lol. I think this describes it best as the guy he bought the guitar from for $1,300 wrote and asked him and this is true because it was on his page a few months back. What have you done to the guitar or improvements have you made that made it worth so much,and he replied NONE these guitars are no longer made and highly collectable. NUFF SAID
    I've had to seriously resist writing a very firm letter to the Pithespy. She (apparently the seller is a she) simply snaps quality of photos of Wolfgangs (and other guitars) and asks way too much money for them. She's not technically doing anything wrong, though. Even though she's selling EXPs for $1,000-plus (even more than their original list price), she always indicates it is indeed the EXP model. My guess is she's selling to folks who use eBay less. But... who knows? Either way, she knows she's marking them up beyond their actual value. Buyers should be doing their research.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Andrew I would just like to say I have checked out your music and really enjoyed it. I have also loved the run down you did on all the Wolfs you have owned and the history behind them. I had come across that some months back on the Wolfgang registry when I was looking for axes in fact I had PMd you. Rat had told me to come check out this site, as I am a regular on Fender.com. So I have been going through some old gear post as I love hearing opinions on gear and what people have to say.When I saw your name I knew it was you. As far as Pithespy I had no idea it was a woman, but boy she dont bend for anything.lol I have been sidelined from playing for the last 18 months as I need two surgeries, one for Cubital Tunnel and one for a Neuroma on the inside of my thumb joint which makes it feel like the shock you get when you bang your funny bone everytime my thumb touches the neck. Try going 18 days let alone months without playing, So to keep my sanity as there is a chance I may never play again after 30 years, I am teaching my son and nephew and hanging in the guitar store talking about music and gear and trying to stay in the loop . With this economy so bad there have been a lot of great buys and since I always played Strats and Teles and later on got into Wolfgangs and EBMM EVHs I spend a lot of nights looking all over for a good ax. The bottom line on the Wolfs though is they are becoming highly collectable and just about everyone knows it. Like I said earlier /great player + signature ax+discontinued=collectable.lol But since the listings for Wolfs and EBMM EVHs are so small to catch a good buy these days as everyone that goes to list there ax sees the three power sellers asking 2 grand so they list the same. To be honest the last two I bought were dead mint Wolf specials a darkcherry and green flame top. The way I got them was by pming the seller who was asking $1,999 and told him if you are serious about selling just check the completed listings and show me where one sold for that amount so they did not think I was trying to low ball or scam them. They got back to me and actually thanked me then asked me if I was interested and I bought them for a grand each.lol I swear I dont think they were ever played. The messed up part was a week later that Pithespy sold four guitars in a week for$1,900- $1,860- and the two EXPs for $1,050 so I was really hoping I did not get an email saying I hustled them.lol But the truth was they sold nothing for at least five months leading up to that time. I know you have owned over 20 Wolfs and I did not see a Seafoam green on your list. I have only seen three on the web, even Geoff from R&Rweekend does not have one on his site and no one has more Wolfs than Geoff. What did they make 10 of them lol I see way more custom shop or quilts and out of everyone it has to wind up in that Pithespy stable. But believe me I will find one, and it is just a beautiful ax to boot. I think you can relate to that.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by straycat113 View Post
    Andrew I would just like to say I have checked out your music and really enjoyed it. I have also loved the run down you did on all the Wolfs you have owned and the history behind them. I had come across that some months back on the Wolfgang registry when I was looking for axes in fact I had PMd you. Rat had told me to come check out this site, as I am a regular on Fender.com. So I have been going through some old gear post as I love hearing opinions on gear and what people have to say.When I saw your name I knew it was you. As far as Pithespy I had no idea it was a woman, but boy she dont bend for anything.lol I have been sidelined from playing for the last 18 months as I need two surgeries, one for Cubital Tunnel and one for a Neuroma on the inside of my thumb joint which makes it feel like the shock you get when you bang your funny bone everytime my thumb touches the neck. Try going 18 days let alone months without playing, So to keep my sanity as there is a chance I may never play again after 30 years, I am teaching my son and nephew and hanging in the guitar store talking about music and gear and trying to stay in the loop . With this economy so bad there have been a lot of great buys and since I always played Strats and Teles and later on got into Wolfgangs and EBMM EVHs I spend a lot of nights looking all over for a good ax. The bottom line on the Wolfs though is they are becoming highly collectable and just about everyone knows it. Like I said earlier /great player + signature ax+discontinued=collectable.lol But since the listings for Wolfs and EBMM EVHs are so small to catch a good buy these days as everyone that goes to list there ax sees the three power sellers asking 2 grand so they list the same. To be honest the last two I bought were dead mint Wolf specials a darkcherry and green flame top. The way I got them was by pming the seller who was asking $1,999 and told him if you are serious about selling just check the completed listings and show me where one sold for that amount so they did not think I was trying to low ball or scam them. They got back to me and actually thanked me then asked me if I was interested and I bought them for a grand each.lol I swear I dont think they were ever played. The messed up part was a week later that Pithespy sold four guitars in a week for$1,900- $1,860- and the two EXPs for $1,050 so I was really hoping I did not get an email saying I hustled them.lol But the truth was they sold nothing for at least five months leading up to that time. I know you have owned over 20 Wolfs and I did not see a Seafoam green on your list. I have only seen three on the web, even Geoff from R&Rweekend does not have one on his site and no one has more Wolfs than Geoff. What did they make 10 of them lol I see way more custom shop or quilts and out of everyone it has to wind up in that Pithespy stable. But believe me I will find one, and it is just a beautiful ax to boot. I think you can relate to that.
    Hey, thanks for the compliments!

The Wolfgang is still my favorite guitar ever. I'm not in a financial position right now to be buying any more, which also means I definitely can't pick up one of the Fender versions (I haven't even played one yet). I was a deal-hunter on all of the ones I've ever bought--24 to date. Seafoam was not a color that appealed to me much in the past, but like most Wolfs the color eventually grew on me. They're rare, though. And--just like the gold tops--they all have maple tops.

Good luck with your recovery. In the big picture 18 months isn't that much time if it means you can play again.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.14.10 @ 04:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love my trans-amber standard, but lately it hasnt left the case very much. I really need to bring it in for serviceing. Intonation is off, needs setup & maybe a grind & polish on the frets to bring it back up to speed. i've been falling back in love with my PRS lately, it just never dissapoints

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Pistrcast I would agree with you and go bring it in for service. Sometimes when you shelf an ax for awhile and then reconnect with it something good usualy comes out of it. Maybe a fiff or a song is waiting to be unleashed. That is why I always believe a player should have three axes. An acoustic,singlecoil and humbucker. As each offers a different tonal quality and inspiration. I think back and it amazes me how many heavy riffs I came up with on an acoustic guitar. In fact I probably wrote 80% of the time on an acoustic and then would rearange it on an electric.