Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    On Fire smithtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.16.04
    Age
    50
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    427
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    106
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

    Default Two EVH guitar questions

    1) Regarding EVH's original Frankenstein, I've read in a couple of threads lately here about paint peeling off when he sprayed it red in early '79 to explain some/all of the bare wood spots. Am I understanding this correctly? I always just thought (and what made sense to me) was that he took off all the thin black vinyl strips, sanded it down a bit to remove grime etc. (and so the red would catch better), and that he just got a little carried away with that sanding in some places - like around the bottom top near the strap button and the front and back arm contours. I wouldn't think that applying some masking tape for a couple of hours to a road-worn body would remove both the white AND the black that was on there. Just trying to understand the explanation for these bare wood spots, and was reading these threads correctly. Is there a general consensus here?

    2) Not sure anyone here has the answer to this one, but I find it interesting that Fender chose "this version" of the Frankenstein to re-create. This particular guitar has gone through quite a few phases between 1977 and now, and obviously they weren't going to do the "1983 version" with the Kramer beak headstock or the "1990s version" with the striped Kramer banana headstock. But why the 21-fret neck and not the 22-fret neck he used with this guitar on the Diver Down tour? And what tours did he use the "Fender re-creation" version - 1981 only? Because in 1980, the partial pickguard was different (black electrical tape?) and in 1979, the Frankenstein had a black headstock. Is it because this is the way the Frankenstein looked a couple of years ago when EVH let Chip Ellis borrow it? Anyway, just wondering if anyone here has any insight on why this version was selected?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    1) Regarding EVH's original Frankenstein, I've read in a couple of threads lately here about paint peeling off when he sprayed it red in early '79 to explain some/all of the bare wood spots. Am I understanding this correctly? I always just thought (and what made sense to me) was that he took off all the thin black vinyl strips, sanded it down a bit to remove grime etc. (and so the red would catch better), and that he just got a little carried away with that sanding in some places - like around the bottom top near the strap button and the front and back arm contours. I wouldn't think that applying some masking tape for a couple of hours to a road-worn body would remove both the white AND the black that was on there. Just trying to understand the explanation for these bare wood spots, and was reading these threads correctly. Is there a general consensus here?
    I think this is my fault ...
    It was mentioned that Ed had claimed to have wetsanded between coats when painting his Frankie. I just made a general statement in that thread stating that wetsanding between coats may cause the paint to flake off.
    I wasn't implying that this was the reason Ed's Frankie looks the way it does.
    It was just a general statement to caution others who may want to try doing this.

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    2) Not sure anyone here has the answer to this one, but I find it interesting that Fender chose "this version" of the Frankenstein to re-create. This particular guitar has gone through quite a few phases between 1977 and now, and obviously they weren't going to do the "1983 version" with the Kramer beak headstock or the "1990s version" with the striped Kramer banana headstock. But why the 21-fret neck and not the 22-fret neck he used with this guitar on the Diver Down tour? And what tours did he use the "Fender re-creation" version - 1981 only? Because in 1980, the partial pickguard was different (black electrical tape?) and in 1979, the Frankenstein had a black headstock. Is it because this is the way the Frankenstein looked a couple of years ago when EVH let Chip Ellis borrow it? Anyway, just wondering if anyone here has any insight on why this version was selected?

    Thanks!
    Good question ...
    I can only guess that they chose that version because that is what the guitar looked like when it came time to create the replica.

  3. #3
    On Fire smithtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.16.04
    Age
    50
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    427
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    106
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Dino!

  4. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    1) Regarding EVH's original Frankenstein, I've read in a couple of threads lately here about paint peeling off when he sprayed it red in early '79 to explain some/all of the bare wood spots. Am I understanding this correctly? I always just thought (and what made sense to me) was that he took off all the thin black vinyl strips, sanded it down a bit to remove grime etc. (and so the red would catch better), and that he just got a little carried away with that sanding in some places - like around the bottom top near the strap button and the front and back arm contours. I wouldn't think that applying some masking tape for a couple of hours to a road-worn body would remove both the white AND the black that was on there. Just trying to understand the explanation for these bare wood spots, and was reading these threads correctly. Is there a general consensus here?
    Go back and re-examine pictures of the "Franky" from every angle. What you will notice is that the majority of the bare wood areas are confined to within the boundairies occupied by the black. The remaining areas of exposed wood in the vicinty of the strap butons/eyelets are a result of the strap/chain/rope rubbing againt the body. The exposed wood on the back is the result typical "belt buckle rash".
    I seriously doubt that Ed sanded over the the Black and White version, because if he did, the exposed wood areas would have extended beyond the black.

    Look at this picture in particular...

    .. the bare wood is exactly where the black used to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    2) Not sure anyone here has the answer to this one, but I find it interesting that Fender chose "this version" of the Frankenstein to re-create. This particular guitar has gone through quite a few phases between 1977 and now, and obviously they weren't going to do the "1983 version" with the Kramer beak headstock or the "1990s version" with the striped Kramer banana headstock. But why the 21-fret neck and not the 22-fret neck he used with this guitar on the Diver Down tour? And what tours did he use the "Fender re-creation" version - 1981 only? Because in 1980, the partial pickguard was different (black electrical tape?) and in 1979, the Frankenstein had a black headstock. Is it because this is the way the Frankenstein looked a couple of years ago when EVH let Chip Ellis borrow it? Anyway, just wondering if anyone here has any insight on why this version was selected?
    No mystery there at all. Fender simply decided to replicate the guitar as it appeared in 2006, that's all.

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    And what tours did he use the "Fender re-creation" version - 1981 only?
    No. The only time that neck appearred on tour with the "Franky" was for the 1982 Diver Down tour, but the guitar had a gold prototype Floyd on it.

    Last edited by jimi11580; 10.09.09 at 12:52 PM.
    WGAF?!!

  5. #5
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I seriously doubt that Ed sanded over the the Black and White version, because if he did, the exposed wood areas would have extended beyond the black.
    Very good point.

  6. #6
    On Fire smithtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.16.04
    Age
    50
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    427
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    106
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    Compelling answers for both, jimi. Interesting stuff with the paint!

    So it wasn't until later in 1982 on the Diver Down tour that EVH swapped that 21-fret neck for a 22-fret neck - the one were you can tell a logo (probably Kramer?) was sanded off the Strat headstock. Kramer was using those headstocks back then - maybe the EVH-Kramer deal wasn't official yet?

    So then 20-25 years later, that 21-fret neck ends up back on the Frankenstein when Fender comes calling. Convenient that a neck with a trademarked Fender design was back on it, but I'm sure that had to be part of the deal.
    Last edited by smithtone; 10.10.09 at 04:14 AM.

  7. #7
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,977
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Likes
    2,616
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    Convenient that a neck with a trademarked Fender design was back on it, but I'm sure that had to be part of the deal.
    That neck was back on the guitar way before Fender was in the picture.

  8. #8
    On Fire smithtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.16.04
    Age
    50
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    427
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    106
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    Are there any pics of the Frankenstein after 1993 and before 2006 when Fender got involved in re-creating it? Just curious as to when EVH swapped out the Kramer banana headstock for the 21-fret Fender headstock...

    http://www.vintagekramer.com/Ed/studio1.jpg

    And were the music videos from the porn movie done with THE Frankenstein, or a replica?


    http://www.vanhalenmusic.com/wp-cont...eddie_ninn.jpg

  9. #9
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    Compelling answers for both, jimi. Interesting stuff with the paint!

    So it wasn't until later in 1982 on the Diver Down tour that EVH swapped that 21-fret neck for a 22-fret neck - the one were you can tell a logo (probably Kramer?) was sanded off the Strat headstock. Kramer was using those headstocks back then - maybe the EVH-Kramer deal wasn't official yet?
    Correct.
    WGAF?!!

  10. #10
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    That neck was back on the guitar way before Fender was in the picture.
    It sure was.
    WGAF?!!

  11. #11
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    Are there any pics of the Frankenstein after 1993 and before 2006 when Fender got involved in re-creating it? Just curious as to when EVH swapped out the Kramer banana headstock for the 21-fret Fender headstock...
    From 1997...

    ...2004...


    Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    And were the music videos from the porn movie done with THE Frankenstein, or a replica?
    Replica. The cigarette burns on the headstock are the dead giveaway.
    WGAF?!!

  12. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Replica. The cigarette burns on the headstock are the dead giveaway.
    You think? I thought it looked fake too, but was the replica even made when he filmed that video?

  13. #13
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    You think? I thought it looked fake too, but was the replica even made when he filmed that video?
    Of course it was.
    WGAF?!!

  14. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Of course it was.
    Ok cool, I wasn't sure exactly when Chip completed it and got it to Ed.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Questions for Guitar Building Freaks
    By Tapster1984 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07.24.08, 02:39 AM
  2. Guitar Tech Questions
    By Royal Crown in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03.31.08, 08:46 AM
  3. Sound Questions/Equipment Questions.
    By A&Z Guitar Repair in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10.21.07, 10:59 PM
  4. Some questions for the guitar gods outhere...
    By bizzatch in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09.07.02, 05:10 PM
  5. Questions
    By Roy Munson in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10.15.01, 06:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •