Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

President Barack Obama made history again today, winning the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." After the president was awakened and told he had won, he said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official. Obama's name had not been mentioned among front-runners, and surprised reporters gasped when he was named.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ize/index.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    President Barack Obama made history again today, winning the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." After the president was awakened and told he had won, he said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official. Obama's name had not been mentioned among front-runners, and surprised reporters gasped when he was named.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ize/index.html
    It never ceases to amaze me how people have such a hard-on for this President. He was able to accomplish all these things to win him this in the first 2 weeks of his Presidency, considering the deadline for nomination was in February. Just another example of how pointless awards like these are becoming. I can't wait to see him win a Grammy or an Oscar for bringing Kanye West and Taylor Swift together to the White House for a beer.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

My goodness. People are tripping over themselves to try and suck this guy's ass. They just can't wait to honor him in ways he doesn't deserve. I'm not saying he won't potentially be worthy of such things in the future, but c'mon! What is it about this guy that has people so mesmerized?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Just another example of how pointless awards like these are becoming. I can't wait to see him win a Grammy or an Oscar for bringing Kanye West and Taylor Swift together to the White House for a beer.
    Reminds me of my trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in August of 2008..they were setting up for an appearance in the main hall just inside the entrance and we were all excited to see who it was. We were running through all the musicians it could possibly be. And who the fuck was it???? The Jonas Brothers were donating clothes from their last tour for a display at the Hall. Not exactly the Nobel Peace Prize but yet another example of how pointless all of these awards/bestowments have become.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

I think maybe this will give America just a feel for how despised George Bush was around the world. Anyone taking over for him would have been looked at as a conquering hero by the majority of the world. Obama did nothing do deserve this but it doesn't matter. He won this for not being George Bush.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

I can't believe this. While I am definitely not an Obama fan, I can't fathom how in the hell he should be honored with this award. Of all the people in the world who are promoting peace, he gets it by still having troops in Iraq and increasing troop levels in Afghanistan. He is bombing targets in Pakistan which has caused civilian casualties. It's basically what Bush was doing but with Hope.

About the only thing he has done is to be a little tougher on Israel concerning settlements.

Then again I believe our father, who art in the Internet, Al Gore won a NPP a few years back. So I guess it was already tainted.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think maybe this will give America just a feel for how despised George Bush was around the world. Anyone taking over for him would have been looked at as a conquering hero by the majority of the world. Obama did nothing do deserve this but it doesn't matter. He won this for not being George Bush.
    I have no idea if this assessment is true or not. If you are correct, that's a really, really, really stupid reason to award a peace prize.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Nothing really to add to what's already been said....just wondering how long it will take this thread to go into the shitter.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    I have no idea if this assessment is true or not. If you are correct, that's a really, really, really stupid reason to award a peace prize.
    it is. If someone else can give me another reason why he would have won an award for "peace" then i'm all ears.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

My favorite comment so far in reading through the news articles this morning:

"How do you say "jumped the shark" in Norwegian?"

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    it is. If someone else can give me another reason why he would have won an award for "peace" then i'm all ears.
    I suppose it is possible that it's a small factor in the decision, but Obama's whole political career has been a cakewalk. He absolutely had no credentials to be the president, but either the stars just aligned for this guy, or he really gets into people's lives for whatever reason. Like I said, people fall all over this guy.

I think you'd be correct in that the democrats could have run a fish for president last year and won against the Republicans because of the foaming at the mouth over Bush. But what the hell does that have to do with the Nobel Prize?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:21 PM
    Liked 18,054 Times in 8,923 Posts

I read in the Wall Street Journal this morning that the votes had to be in by February 1st, 2009.

That means he had been President for what, a week, two weeks when he got the votes?

I think It's Mike must be correct, this is their way of saying "thank you for not being George Bush, even though you might end up being worse."
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

What Do Barack Obama And Yassir Arafat Have In Common?

What Do Barack Obama And Yassir Arafat Have In Common?
    Friday, October 09, 2009

They both hung out with anti-Semites who think Israel should be pushed into the sea.

Oh, yeah—and they both were given the Nobel Prize for Peace.

A prize President Obama earned, the Nobel Committee claims, for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples"

This will no doubt come as great comfort to the democracy protesters in Iran, the oppressed citizens of North Korea, the Afghan women being beaten by the Taliban, and the people of Poland, the Czech Republic, Georgia, etc., feeling the hot breath of the growling Russian bear. They’re all basking in that Obama-inspired “peace.”

Compared to all that “strengthened diplomacy” and “people’s cooperation” President Obama was efforting, how could the other nominees even compare?

For example, last year’s winner was former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, who won for “three decades of work to resolve numerous international conflicts.” But how can that compare to the accomplishments of Barack Obama who, three decades ago, was waging the struggle for peace one class at a time…in high school.

OK—so since nobody can name a SINGLE outbreak of peace due to the Obama presidency, or a single moment of his life spent in the struggle (one nominee passed over this year is sitting in a Chinese prison, for example) why did President Obama join Arafat, Al Gore and Jimmy Carter on this prestigious list? The Nobel Committee gives the real reason:

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Barack Obama has brought peace to the world by giving it an America that does what it’s told.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online