Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Peavey Windsor vs Blackstar HT5

I am interested in Marshall type british tones without breaking the bank and while the wattages are crazy different (100 vs 5); tones are similar and price is similar. Anyone have experience in either of these two to offer up and opinion on which one to get? Thanks as always...
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

i have a windsor. it's loud, it's tube, and it's lifeless. through a nice distortion pedal and a good set of speakers, it's ok. but nothing stands out about the tone to me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My guitar teacher modded a Peavey Windsor head, he said he could get it to feed back, CLEAN, with the volume around normal music listening level.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 731 Times in 346 Posts

My experience is limited to playing through them in the guitar stores, but for what it's worth, here are my impressions:

The Peavey Windsor seems sterile and compressed to my ears. It just didn't have any personality. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't find any setting on that amp that even got me semi-hard.

The HT5 on the other hand, was extremely impressive. I played the "mini-stack" version, which sports the head through 2x10" speaker cabinets. The amp sounded great clean and dirty. Hard to find a bad setting on this amp. I have heard that this amp sounds even better through a 2x12 or 4x12 cab. The only problem for me would be whether or not the amp would be usable at stage volume. I'm not talking about being able to hear it out front, as it would be mic'd, but rather, would I be able to hear it above the drums and the rest of the stage noise.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.20.09 @ 01:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own a Blackstar HT-5 (mini stack). The head is really good. good clean channel, and the lead/distortion channel is the best. You can get a Marshall/British tone all the way to modern gain. It probably can't handle a metal tone without a good distortion pedal.

I would recommend getting a 2x12 cab for it. the 1x10 cab just doesn't have the headroom. For stage use, you would have to mic it. It's 5 watts, and is great for bedroom volume.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the HT-5H head, and at home I run it through a Audiozone 1x12 cab loaded w/ an Eminence Private Jack.

Decent cleans, but the overdrive channel is where it shines. Everything from Clapton Beano tone, up through AC/DC crunch, all the way to AIC heaviness. I generally set mine up for a good crunch and use a Jekyll & Hyde to push it into heavier territory.

It has not yet mentioned that the ISF control adjusts the EQ to give British (Marshall/Vox) or American (Mesa) voicing.

The amp has a serial effects loop w/ adjustable level. The lineout has cab emulation (1x12 or 4x12) and also doubles as a headphone output.

I've gigged mine, both mic'd and w/ the lineout straight to the board. Also lineout into a ADA poweramp, then a 4x12 cab, miked.

Amp takes pedals really well, is extremely well-built, and is lightweight.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    My experience is limited to playing through them in the guitar stores, but for what it's worth, here are my impressions:

The Peavey Windsor seems sterile and compressed to my ears. It just didn't have any personality. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't find any setting on that amp that even got me semi-hard.
    I was so disappointed when I tried the Windsor 1x12 combo. "Boxey" and lame sounding. I was so excited about the attenuator, it really bummed me out. Then again, if someone finds that *one* awesome tone out of it, it's worth it, obviously.