Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Pickup test i did with alot of different pickups through a plexi....

here is a pickup test i did through my plexi,im using the boss ge 10 eq in these clips to push the amp except for the last duncan 78 clip which is mxr blue 6 band eq.i used my 1972 rola greenbacks..

seymour duncan 78 pickup with no eq straight in then the boss ge 10 eq.(getting some strangle clipping with the eq for some reason?)
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8175120

duncan 59 with boss ge10 eq.first part is with a .68uf on v2 like a stock plexi and second part is with a 330uf like EVH suppose to have had.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8094786

motorcity pickups 2nd degree blackbelt and boss ge10 eq.only the EVH value of 330uf on v2.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093

ibanez super 70 pickup and boss ge 10 eq.first part is with a .68uf on v2 like a stock plexi and second part is with a 330uf like EVH suppose to have had.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8078678

EVH frankenstein pickup with boss ge10 eq.first part is with a .68uf on v2 like a stock plexi and second part is with a 330uf like EVH suppose to have had.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8078674

duncan 78 with blue vintage mxr eq..
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8175438
    Last edited by bmf5150; 10.04.09 at 09:10 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

Honestly I liked the one with the motorcity pickup the best, I thought it was the closest. And I thought the last one with your 78 and the MXR was second best.

I didn't like some of the ones with the GE 10 at all actually.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the 2nd degree blackbelt, the Super 70, and the '59. Try mixing some 'verb in, I think it did some magic to the mids by scooping them slightly but still keeping them very full.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

its weird,the duncan 78 is much more fuller sounding than what i remember.i still think my fav pickup is the motor city 2nd degree blackbelt.i want to try a clip of the super 70 with the mxr blue 6 band eq....i need to figure out why i was getting that weird clipping sound with the boss ge 10 and the duncan 78 pickup,if i can figure out why i will re record a clip.(it keeps anoying me on the clip..i figure if nothing else this pickup clips are good reference for others to decide what pickup they may like best.hopefully help save them some money..

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok,i was not happy with the duncan 78 clip i did with the boss ge 10,i was getting a strange clipping sound,anyway i re recorded it.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8179055

i also re did the duncan 78 clip with the blue mxr 6 band eq,with slightly different settings..
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8179056

tell me your guys opinions now..also tried to improve the reverb.
    Last edited by bmf5150; 10.04.09 at 04:37 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

awesome data.

i like the Motorcity and the 59. tough call.

what tube are you putting in V2 to get that capacitance value?
    Custom guitars and high end point to point handwired 68 Marshall SuperLeads

www.holbrooktone.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/holbrooktone

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

its not the tube that gives you that value,we are putting a 330uf capacitor in the circuit of where the v2 tube is at.stock plexis have a .68uf there and it is rumored that EVH infact had a 330uf there.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmf5150 View Post
    its not the tube that gives you that value,we are putting a 330uf capacitor in the circuit of where the v2 tube is at.stock plexis have a .68uf there and it is rumored that EVH infact had a 330uf there.
    Yep. I have reason to believe Ed's superlead had the early 1970's version of the Superlead circuit. It may have just ended up that way by chance (since the design changed often) or it may have been rebuilt. I'll have to check but I think that 330uf capacitor is in the slightly newer version schematic...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was givin that value by dave friedman of racksystems.not sure where he got it from,maybe EVH?who knows.he does do work for him..who knows..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmf5150 View Post
    i was givin that value by dave friedman of racksystems.not sure where he got it from,maybe EVH?who knows.he does do work for him..who knows..
    Great info, and a hell of alot of effort into your tests man. It's amazing to me how many Marshall Superleads have been modified in one way or another. I've owned around 16 or 17 Marshalls of one form or another, weather it be 100watt Superleads, 50 watt JMP's, a plexi I should never have gotten rid of, and some Bluesbreakers, and a JCM 800 and 900 over the years, never having more than a few at a time, mind you, but I'd say 10 or 11 of them had some kind of mod done.

Usually it's just a capacitor swap or two. My current 75 has a real weird mod. I'm told by by repair guy that it was pretty common at one time in the late 70's to quell some of the treble. It also has a bizzare master volume setup. You can still jumper the inputs, but by themselves the #1 low, and #2 high are barely audible, but if you jumper those two and roll up volume 1, you get that real roaring gain very close to my old plexi without too many highs. It's like they split off of the preamp somehow and loop it somewhere, but here's the weird part. If you leave it unjumpered and roll up the #1 volume, then you get a pretty much bone stock treble response you'd expect in a mid 70's JMP. My tech called it an Ohmite mod, most likely because the long white caps used were Ohmites. I've tried researching the mod online, but have not found too much on it, and as far as the master volume mod he was saying he had'nt seen one done quite like that before. I've cracked it open myself, and whoever did the work did it cleanly. A few of my previous amps were real trainwrecks inside. Bad solder joints, cut and reconnected caps with lumps of solder holding them together. Fuses bypassed. Scary shit. Do you have any info you could share on this master volume mod? I'd like to know more about it, and what it's advantage is over straight master volume.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Great info, and a hell of alot of effort into your tests man. It's amazing to me how many Marshall Superleads have been modified in one way or another. I've owned around 16 or 17 Marshalls of one form or another, weather it be 100watt Superleads, 50 watt JMP's, a plexi I should never have gotten rid of, and some Bluesbreakers, and a JCM 800 and 900 over the years, never having more than a few at a time, mind you, but I'd say 10 or 11 of them had some kind of mod done.

Usually it's just a capacitor swap or two. My current 75 has a real weird mod. I'm told by by repair guy that it was pretty common at one time in the late 70's to quell some of the treble. It also has a bizzare master volume setup. You can still jumper the inputs, but by themselves the #1 low, and #2 high are barely audible, but if you jumper those two and roll up volume 1, you get that real roaring gain very close to my old plexi without too many highs. It's like they split off of the preamp somehow and loop it somewhere, but here's the weird part. If you leave it unjumpered and roll up the #1 volume, then you get a pretty much bone stock treble response you'd expect in a mid 70's JMP. My tech called it an Ohmite mod, most likely because the long white caps used were Ohmites. I've tried researching the mod online, but have not found too much on it, and as far as the master volume mod he was saying he had'nt seen one done quite like that before. I've cracked it open myself, and whoever did the work did it cleanly. A few of my previous amps were real trainwrecks inside. Bad solder joints, cut and reconnected caps with lumps of solder holding them together. Fuses bypassed. Scary shit. Do you have any info you could share on this master volume mod? I'd like to know more about it, and what it's advantage is over straight master volume.
    That's interesting and cool to hear. What kind of master volume mod do you mean? Is the weird part the master volume itself, or only having to do with the gain controls in the preamp?

If only the gain controls and the weird jumpering system are at play, I'd say its just a cool preamp mod. But if some of the 'magic' is happening with the master volume control when compared to your other marhsalls, it might have a PPIV (Post Phase Inverter) master volume on it, which preserves more gain/tone/compression at lower volumes.

I'm interested to hear more about this marshall.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    That's interesting and cool to hear. What kind of master volume mod do you mean? Is the weird part the master volume itself, or only having to do with the gain controls in the preamp?

If only the gain controls and the weird jumpering system are at play, I'd say its just a cool preamp mod. But if some of the 'magic' is happening with the master volume control when compared to your other marhsalls, it might have a PPIV (Post Phase Inverter) master volume on it, which preserves more gain/tone/compression at lower volumes.

I'm interested to hear more about this marshall.
    Hey man. Yeah, the weird part is in how the inputs have been rewired. The main thing that puzzles me is how the jumpering is working. Like I said, when you plug into low 1 or high 2 there's virtually no sound. Just a weak, faint sound with volumes up. Jumper them and plug into low 2, or high 1 and it sounds amazing. Pull the jumper out, and it sounds like a regular JMP. Here's a pic or two. Don't know how much you can tell from them, but you can see the Ohmite mod at least. One of the caps route to the treble control.
    At any rate, its been a great amp.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.