Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Default Strap Locks: Grolsch Beer?:)

Hey all,

I've been considering getting some strap locks. You know how in the time the leather etc around the holes that fastens to the guitar weakens and then they pop off etc. I always have my hand on the neck out of habit but will be playing out soon and don't want to worry about a Les Paul crashing to the ground etc.

I've been investigating this. In the past I have used Schaller's and they suck.
    Though they hold well and the design is kinda sleek they have a habit of weakening the screw into the body of the guitar and eventually it will strip out.
    In a way this defeats the purposes and "damages" your guitar.

A lot of people seem to prefer the Dunlop dual design strap lock system. It lets the lock rotate better than the Schaller so screw stripping isn't an issue. The issue I have is the screw that comes with it is much wider than what is standard on a Les Paul. Also the lock holds the strap end out a little further so it sits a little different for you. I also use Ibanez Jem's and I've read that the way they sit on them gives an even more awkward feel.

Ernie ball has some I've never tried. A company named Hennessey makes some which I'm unsure about and Fender make some that look very similar to the dreaded Schaller ones.

The EVH approach isn't really appropriate for the guitars I use.

I may have already found my answer but I'm asking for your opinions and sharing this info for anyone interested.

When asking a local musician about this he told me he used the red washer from a bottle of Grolsch beer. lol I thought he was kidding. He was serious and said not only do they work great, they last and cheap enough to replace plus they come with beer. lol I respect this guy he's a phenomenal Jazz bass player and it's what he does for a living so I searched the net and this is a common used way to lock your strap. lol Anyone here try it?

I don't want to strip the screws out of my guitar, install some bulky lock and this seems like the perfect solution. So it's off to buy a case of Grolsch this weekend. lol

Still I'm interested in what you all prefer for strap locks. How they work for you and if anyone has used the Grolsch washers?

Here is one guy that posted on the web about them.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a better solution. lol What do you all think?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.18.14 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I generally like the Schallers, but I use the Grolsch washers too. I've got one on my acoustic; a traditional strap lock seemed like overkill.

Steve Morse uses them:

I use them as sort of a permanent install (i.e., I don't take the strap off). I don't know if they'd stand up to regular removal, but I suppose they're easily replaceable.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

seems like a simple and elegant solution to me, plus like you said, they come with beer and thats a bonus in my book. i use the dunlops though, mainly because i throw my guitars around a lot, jump dance and act like a fool. i wouldn't trust a simple rubber washer to be able to withstand the abuse, but if you don't jump, dance etc then i'm sure you'll be fine.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

I love them all, even VH III
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls is up there.
    Last Online

05.05.10 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really like the Ernie Ball strap locks, so far they are really good.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 11,604 Times in 4,948 Posts

I'm with tommy, I'm not trusting a rubber washer to hold my thousand dollar guitars when I'm running jumping around on stage with them. I use the Dunlop Straploks on all my guitars, love 'em.

I suppose if you don't move around too much it wouldn't be an issue.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

1st set I ever owned was Schaller. They came loose more than once. Bought Dunlop's and search was over. Use them on all my electrics. The simple c-clip design rules! They haven't failed me yet.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

You all are mostly mirroring what most say. For store bought locks get Dunlop. I thought the Grolsch idea was genius. Never heard of it b4 but it seems to be a commonly known practice. In the least I thought people here would get a kick out of it. I'm going to try them first. lol I move around a lot when I play but I don't know about literally running. lol Hopefully we will have the success to eventually play a place that has a stage big enough where running is an option. lol I'm not doing the over the shoulder guitar toss either so we'll see how it goes. lol

The thing about the dunlop is I don't want to make the holes in my les paul larger to support the locking system. I guess I'm being picky but if I find the need I guess I'll have to bite the bullet. As it is now my hand is on the neck most of the time and I don't have a problem with the guitar falling but I just want added security.

Thanks for the feedback and cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sbrening View Post
    I really like the Ernie Ball strap locks, so far they are really good.
    I haven't heard any first hand feedback on those but I've seen them listed for sale online. Do they allow the strap to move and don't weaken the screw into the guitar like Schaller's do? Do they come with their own screw to put into the guitar or do they grasp around the current one? Just curios. I guess I could search out some online reviews but it's always cool to ask.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.18.14 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    The thing about the dunlop is I don't want to make the holes in my les paul larger to support the locking system. I guess I'm being picky but if I find the need I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. Here's a picture from "Beauty of the Burst" of Billy Gibbons' Pearly Gates. You can clearly see the old-style Dunlop strap lock buttons:

And here's a picture of a '59 LP once owned by Joe Perry, then by Slash, then given back to Perry. You can see Slash added Schaller strap locks:

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

mmmmm grolsch, my fav beer
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.11.13 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a no-brainer.... Go with Grolsch.

Gonna go this route myself now. You're guitar is a rockstar, give it a beer!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    It's a no-brainer.... Go with Grolsch.

Gonna go this route myself now. You're guitar is a rockstar, give it a beer!
    lol so far so good. I was surprised how well they really work.

btw 53 bucks for a case of 24 15.2 oz swingtop bottles. That is 12 sets of strap locks! lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

btw 53 bucks for a case of 24 15.2 oz swingtop bottles. That is 12 sets of strap locks! lol
    Now you have my attention
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

I picked up 2 Grolsch last night as well to try it out...great excuse to buy beer!! I'll let you guys know how they work...
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    I picked up 2 Grolsch last night as well to try it out...great excuse to buy beer!! I'll let you guys know how they work...
    hehe good luck. Remember these are good to reinforce your axe but if your going to go all Yngwie and do a over the shoulder toss you need something more substantial. lol

Last night earned me another 2 pairs of grolsch strap locks I tossed into my case for future replacement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]