Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 763 Posts

Default Rolling Stone CF story "We're too rowdy for Joseph!"

I didn't see this story posted before so here it is, some very good tidbits:

http://www.madanthonycafe.com/rs_80609.jpg
    Little Dreamer

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:17 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

"SIX shots of espresso in the morning"?!?

Wow, just what I need: explosive bowel movements right when I get over-caffeinated.

And Joe's the TAME one?!?

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

It's so funny how they begrudgingly have to admit that this was a success. You can tell the writer is truly shocked by it. That magazine is so slanted and biased it just jumps off the pages in this article. This magazine should have had if not a cover for these guys but at least a write up from day one. It's shocking that they are so shocked by the success of this band. Way to be on top of things. I hate that magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

True. But it's kinda cool how they show that Satch is slowly getting used to Sam's world, and the vibe in the band. Who wouldn't want to be part of a band like that?
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Who wouldn't want to be part of a band like that?
    A controlling prick?
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    A controlling prick?
    Anyone come to mind?

I thought it was a good read. Well...kinda hard on my eyes but overall a good read.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Last Online

08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    A controlling prick?
    ouch.
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...

VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 1,486 Times in 907 Posts

Cool article!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    It's so funny how they begrudgingly have to admit that this was a success. You can tell the writer is truly shocked by it. That magazine is so slanted and biased it just jumps off the pages in this article. This magazine should have had if not a cover for these guys but at least a write up from day one. It's shocking that they are so shocked by the success of this band. Way to be on top of things. I hate that magazine.
    wow brother. I read the article after reading your post fulling expecting something else. I didn't pick up on anything really slanted or biased. What did I miss?

The magazine does blow though...absolutely crappy magazine.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    wow brother. I read the article after reading your post fulling expecting something else. I didn't pick up on anything really slanted or biased. What did I miss?

The magazine does blow though...absolutely crappy magazine.
    Yes, I do suppose I was showing my anti-Rolling Stone bias . But, although there were some complimentary points to the article, I do find the whole thing ridiculous. Nothing overt like them bashing CF, but a much more subtle bias that I always find oozing through the pages of that magazine. It's similar to the bias of a reporter who thinks they are engaging in great journalism, but are so slanted that they don't realize how horribly they are framing the issue (ahem MSNBC and Fox News). They couldn't possibly see another side to things. It's this sort of bias that this article wreaks of. At the risk of further exposing my nitpickiness, I'll give you the examples from this article that stuck out to me:

1. Before I even read the article I find it completely ridiculous that this magazine never covered these guys from the beginning. To my knowledge they hadn't even reviewed the album to this point and certainly didn't do a feature article on them even though I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that may think this band is even cover-worthy! The date on this article is August 6th, 2009. Absurd that a music magazine wouldn't cover a band with this high profile players. The reason: They don't play the "right" kind of music.

2. Paragraph two describes Chickenfoot as "the least likely success story of the year". What??? This statement totally tips their hand. They can't fathom how a bunch of rock guys who play the "wrong" style of music could possibly have any success. I mean, it's just shocking, right? They only have, what, somewhere around 200 million albums sold among them? How is this the "least likely success story"? I'll tell you how, b/c these guys think nothing of musicians like this.

3. The next description of CF is of a "semi-supergroup". As in quasi-supergroup? As in these guys are a B level supergroup? Is that a back-handed compliment, or just a complete insult?

4. The next description of the band is "half Van Hagar, half WTF". Now, I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume that the "WTF" comment is more directed at his not seeing how these guys fit together, but it's just another poor description and another way this guy is showing how little he gets CF or the type of music they play. What he describes at "WTF" and "random" could easily be described as "inspired" or "eclectic". But no, RS reserved such flowery language for the bands that play the "right" kind of music. RS engages in idol worship in their articles all the time and this one is written in a begrudging tone.

5. In another display in lazy journalism and ignorance of the subject and an I-could-care-less-about-this-music attitude he describes Joe Satriani as "of Surfing With the Alien and suing Coldplay fame". Surfing with the Alien was 22 years ago! And of course this guy would know him from his connection with Coldplay, that's a little more RS's speed.

In fairness, the back half of the article is pretty complimentary, but all in all getting page 22 3-4 months after the album was released and the tour has been going on for a few months, Rolling Stone does a one-pager by a guy who could give a shit about that kind of music (I'm sure they couldn't find anyone on staff that actually does) I think is crap. Again ,200+ million albums sold among the group and this is what they get. Shit.

Maybe it's nitpicky but I hate Rolling Stone and its inherent musical bias against the "wrong" kind of rock and how badly it falls in love with "artists" that fit their profile.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Word about RS, but this article was well done.

I like Guitar World better, for example, but they've done some pretty awful fluff pieces on EVH recently, really bad journalism. So I give credit to RS for ONE good article.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

RS has never been on my list of good music journalism...this story is pretty good however.
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...

VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cabo_brent View Post
    RS has never been on my list of good music journalism...this story is pretty good however.
    Okay, I get it. The people have spoken: I was blinded by my hatred for RS and let that color my view of this article.

I still stand by how moronic it is that RS waited 3 months to feature these guys when 1. CF debuted in the top ten 2. there's somewhere around 200 million albums sold by these guys collectively 3. it's an intriguing set of characters.

Last Online

Okay, I get it. The people have spoken: I was blinded by my hatred for RS and let that color my view of this article.

I still stand by how moronic it is that RS waited 3 months to feature these guys when 1. CF debuted in the top ten 2. there's somewhere around 200 million albums sold by these guys collectively 3. it's an intriguing set of characters.
    I just threw this number out off the top of my head, but decided to look into it a little. It appears to be close, but possibly a tad high, but maybe not. I gave MA 80 million which is the figure I found for VH (all info from wikipedia). The figure I found for Hagar is 40 million, but I can't figure out if they include VH in that or not. And RHCP is 50 million, but of course, I don't think Chad Smith was on all their albums. I can't find a figure on Satriani, but I'm guessing around 10 million or so. If the Hagar 40 million figure is just solo (seems too high for just solo) and then you include the VH, then the 200 million seems about right. But if not, I'm guessing the number is more like 170 to 180 million among all the artists. Now, I think the 200 million can more than be reached obviously if you include any compilations these guys are on, but I'm not considering that.

Okay, not that anyone cared, I just wanted to put that out there, because I felt guilty throwing around that 200 million album figure with absolutely nothing to go on but my own estimates.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, I do suppose I was showing my anti-Rolling Stone bias . But, although there were some complimentary points to the article, I do find the whole thing ridiculous. Nothing overt like them bashing CF, but a much more subtle bias that I always find oozing through the pages of that magazine. It's similar to the bias of a reporter who thinks they are engaging in great journalism, but are so slanted that they don't realize how horribly they are framing the issue (ahem MSNBC and Fox News). They couldn't possibly see another side to things. It's this sort of bias that this article wreaks of. At the risk of further exposing my nitpickiness, I'll give you the examples from this article that stuck out to me:

1. Before I even read the article I find it completely ridiculous that this magazine never covered these guys from the beginning. To my knowledge they hadn't even reviewed the album to this point and certainly didn't do a feature article on them even though I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that may think this band is even cover-worthy! The date on this article is August 6th, 2009. Absurd that a music magazine wouldn't cover a band with this high profile players. The reason: They don't play the "right" kind of music.
    I was a bit surprised by there being no earlier mention of chickenfoot in RS because it seems noteworthy enough for at least an earlier article of the same length. You could argue that they deserve a cover as well. Question: did Tinted Windows get a cover or any kind of run when they announced their union and released their record?

2. Paragraph two describes Chickenfoot as "the least likely success story of the year". What??? This statement totally tips their hand. They can't fathom how a bunch of rock guys who play the "wrong" style of music could possibly have any success. I mean, it's just shocking, right? They only have, what, somewhere around 200 million albums sold among them? How is this the "least likely success story"? I'll tell you how, b/c these guys think nothing of musicians like this.
    I didn't read that as a slight to the band but rather a statement of where current trends in music lie...these guys aren't exactly current or among the first names off the tongues of young music fans. I thought it was more of a compliment than anything else.
    3. The next description of CF is of a "semi-supergroup". As in quasi-supergroup? As in these guys are a B level supergroup? Is that a back-handed compliment, or just a complete insult?
    well, the term "super group" gets thrown around a lot. Let's face it, this isn't Stuart Copeland, Eric Clapton, Geddy Lee and Bono. THAT is a "super-group." Chickenfoot is certainly a "super-group" among rock/hard rock and maybe they were trying to reflect this in the use "semi-super group." That said, this comment did raise an eye-brow for me. I would expect Tinted Windows would have received the same description.

4. The next description of the band is "half Van Hagar, half WTF". Now, I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume that the "WTF" comment is more directed at his not seeing how these guys fit together, but it's just another poor description and another way this guy is showing how little he gets CF or the type of music they play. What he describes at "WTF" and "random" could easily be described as "inspired" or "eclectic". But no, RS reserved such flowery language for the bands that play the "right" kind of music. RS engages in idol worship in their articles all the time and this one is written in a begrudging tone.
    I thought it was pretty funny and I think it's a pretty fair assessment. Half the band makes sense, adding Chad Smith and Joe Satriani and yeah, a lot of people said "huh?!" or "what the fuck? Really?!" I didn't take it as a jab.

5. In another display in lazy journalism and ignorance of the subject and an I-could-care-less-about-this-music attitude he describes Joe Satriani as "of Surfing With the Alien and suing Coldplay fame". Surfing with the Alien was 22 years ago! And of course this guy would know him from his connection with Coldplay, that's a little more RS's speed.
    Let's face it, unless you're a satriani fan then these are the two things he's famous for. Alien was his most successful record and the Coldplay thing is a recent issue that garnered him some run in the press. It seems completely natural to mention this. When the average person thinks Joe Satriani (well, the average person won't have heard of him...so the average rock fan thinks Joe Satriani) they'll think technical guitarist, alien and suing that queer band.
    In fairness, the back half of the article is pretty complimentary, but all in all getting page 22 3-4 months after the album was released and the tour has been going on for a few months, Rolling Stone does a one-pager by a guy who could give a shit about that kind of music (I'm sure they couldn't find anyone on staff that actually does) I think is crap. Again ,200+ million albums sold among the group and this is what they get. Shit.

Maybe it's nitpicky but I hate Rolling Stone and its inherent musical bias against the "wrong" kind of rock and how badly it falls in love with "artists" that fit their profile.
    You'll get no love for Rolling Stone from me. They are beholden to those that butter their bread. The days of them going out on a limb are long gone. the spirit that drove the magazine 30 years ago is gone but this was a pretty complimentary review. We can debate whether or not it was overdue or long enough or whatever, but I thought it was a pretty good write up that sought to give people a quick snapshot of who Chickenfoot is, give some insight into the ecclectic and varied personalities involved and give off some of the fun vibe the band is approaching this project with.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.