Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Elliptical in Home

I would imagine some of y'all have ellipticals at home. How do you like it? What do you wish it had that it doesn't? Whats the most important features?

I've been shopping for one for a few weeks. Been working out some, watching what I eat. Lost about 30lbs in the last year, haven't been losing much last couple of months. Looking to bump up my cardio work. I HATE running, at least running just to be running. I have an ankle problem I got playing football, it swells when I run quite a bit, gets sore during the winter. Thinking an elliptical might work well for me.

Been looking at a Life Fitness 95Xi. Found an awesome deal on one locally that's remanufactured and it has a limited warranty from the dealer. Gonna go look at it Sat. I know it's not really a "starter" version by any means, but they seem to feel the most natural, and I'm getting a good deal from a reputable dealer. Hoping to get this one and use it for years to come.

I'm fairly handy (just replaced the motor in my washing machine), how hard are ellipticals to work on? I've been told they are fairly simple. I'm not too worried about buying a used one if I can get parts online and do it myself if there is a problem.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

We have a NordicTracCX 998. Bought it new from Sears. We love it. My wife says it doesn't have an Ipod plug, but we have a radio in the room.

It took a couple of hours to assemble, but knowing this I would be leary of buying a used one. If I remember correctly, it was around $800.00. If you can't swing that much at once, there are worse things to finance.

I have a bad knee from a skiing incident and the low impact it provides is really nice.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd just say get a good one. I had a middle of the road one and it self destructed. I'd try to avoid the design where the front of the platforms attach to the arm handles.

The one I had was not hard to work on, but the piece that broke was an axle that the cranks attached to, and it was like $45 or $50. The second time it broke, I could not see fixing it.

It should be noted that I was probably over its weight limit.

I switched to a treadmill because I felt like I could buy a higher quality treadmill for less money than with an eliptical.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    We have a NordicTracCX 998. Bought it new from Sears. We love it. My wife says it doesn't have an Ipod plug, but we have a radio in the room.

It took a couple of hours to assemble, but knowing this I would be leary of buying a used one. If I remember correctly, it was around $800.00. If you can't swing that much at once, there are worse things to finance. The one I'm looking at is a bit more than that, but it's in really good shape.

I have a bad knee from a skiing incident and the low impact it provides is really nice.
    That's about how much I'm looking to spend. Thing is I'm a big dude, and all of the home ones feel rickety under me, like they wanna fall apart. So I've been trying to find a good deal on a refurbed commercial one.

Quote Originally Posted by nitefly5150 View Post
    I'd just say get a good one. I had a middle of the road one and it self destructed. I'd try to avoid the design where the front of the platforms attach to the arm handles.

The one I had was not hard to work on, but the piece that broke was an axle that the cranks attached to, and it was like $45 or $50. The second time it broke, I could not see fixing it.

It should be noted that I was probably over its weight limit.

I switched to a treadmill because I felt like I could buy a higher quality treadmill for less money than with an eliptical.
    Yea, that's one thing I was looking at. They say the higher the weight limit, the more well built it is, the one I'm looking at is 400lbs, so it's well above me and the wife.

The guy I've been talking to says they are pretty simple to work on if I do have a problem. He already has replaced the stabilizers, belts, pretty much all of the wear components.

I think buying a used elliptical is like buying a used car, just gotta be very careful. I just can't drop the 7K on a new model like this, then it turn into a giant clothes hangar