Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Great, School Tells Parents Not To Allow Kids To Walk Or Bike To School

Yeah, because our kids aren't fat enough:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...storyID=847190

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Seventh-grader Adam Marino is getting a firsthand lesson in civil disobedience.

The 12-year-old and his mother, Janette Kaddo Marino, are defying Saratoga Springs school policy by biking to Maple Avenue Middle School on Route 9. The Jackson Street residents pedal more than four miles together each way to the middle school on nice days despite being told not to by school officials and police.

"I guess you can say that we continue to do what we feel is our right," Kaddo Marino said recently. "We feel strongly we have a right to get to school by a mode of transportation we deem appropriate."

Their methods may be unconventional, but the Marinos are part of a growing number of Americans challenging the sedentary habits of today's youths and what they view as overanxious "helicopter" parenting. As fewer children walk and bike to school nationwide, parents have started groups like the "Walking School Bus," which promotes physical activity and fitness in youth by having them walk to school with adults.

Parents and teachers at Niskayuna's Hillside Elementary School implemented the state's first Walking School Bus program. Separately, this week marks the end of the first "Children and Nature: Saratoga -- Come Out and Play," a week of outdoor events in Saratoga Springs coordinated by the local chapter of a national organization that seeks to "reconnect" children and their families to the outdoors.

Riding his 21-speed Giant mountain bike to school benefits Adam Marino's health and the environment, his mother says, and Adam believes it makes him a better student. "It would be really nice if it got changed," he said of the school policy.

The youngster may get his way.

While the school district does not allow elementary school or Maple Avenue students to ride bikes to school, that could change in the coming weeks, Superintendent Janice White said. The Board of Education could vote to amend the policy on Oct. 13, when it is scheduled to discuss a recommendation from a district-formed committee.

"Supervised, parent/guardian bike riding may be permitted at specific sites in the future," White said in an interview Friday. The school has no legal responsibility over what occurs on Route 9, she added.

The biking debate started last spring, when school district officials told Kaddo Marino that Adam was violating school rules by biking to class. Walking to the school also is not permitted.

Kaddo Marino challenged the policy and asked the school board to change it. The district charged a committee to review the rule, which was instituted in 1994.

At the start of school in September, Kaddo Marino thought that she had a nonverbal agreement with school officials to allow her son to ride his bike until a new policy was resolved. But on the night before classes started, school authorities called parents to say that walking and biking to school would not be tolerated.

When the pair stuck with their plan, they were met by school administrators and a state trooper, who emphasized that biking was prohibited, Kaddo Marino said.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...#ixzz0ScaLenJn

"Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,698 Times in 3,718 Posts

what was the reason for this being an issue? There's got to be another story here somewhere. I hope.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I was thinking the same thing. There must be a reason they went this route in the first place.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. There must be a reason they went this route in the first place.
    "The school has no legal responsibility over what occurs on Route 9" is the line that got me. Some bad crap must be happening on Route 9.

checked the comment section and this was one of them, looks like this might be to avoid a lawsuit.

" Let's keep our minds on the safety issue. I pick up my child every day from school and the traffic situation is horrible. The fact that so many cars do make it out of the parking lot without colliding is a miracle in itself. Throwing bikes into the mix would be insane. For those not aware, there is not a traffic light to aid a safe exit. It would be irresponsible to allow children into such a dangerous area. Sometimes even their walk into the parking lot where cars are coming and going is unsafe. Let's not make it worse. "
    Last edited by It's Mike; 09.30.09 at 02:41 PM.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I would have to imagine it's one of 'those roads' we are all familiar with where the traffic is high and there is a safety concern.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's a "safety" issue...well, more than likely it's a "liability" issue. God forbid something happen on the way to or from school and some litigious parent sue the school.

This blows from both ends. On the one side there's a whole bunch of people who have decided that the world has become so rotten and children so unable to handle themselves that we simply can't risk letting junior walk or bike to school unattended. On the other hand, we have the school trying to cover their ass from retarded lawsuits.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    It's a "safety" issue...well, more than likely it's a "liability" issue. God forbid something happen on the way to or from school and some litigious parent sue the school.

This blows from both ends. On the one side there's a whole bunch of people who have decided that the world has become so rotten and children so unable to handle themselves that we simply can't risk letting junior walk or bike to school unattended. On the other hand, we have the school trying to cover their ass from retarded lawsuits.
    If I were running the school, I think I'd issue the same rule. It's sad though.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I agree with you in many ways, but the fact is there a lot of roads that junior simply should not be walking or riding these days. A lot more traffic in many places, and I wouldn't want my boys on some of the roads around here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I agree with you in many ways, but the fact is there a lot of roads that junior simply should not be walking or riding these days. A lot more traffic in many places, and I wouldn't want my boys on some of the roads around here.
    agreed - in fact, i think drivers do a much worse job looking out for kids than they ever have. I know on my little street (30 houses on a dead end) we get idiots using it as a turnaround point and they pay no attention to the kids even though there are signs asking them to do such. We're actually trying to get the city install a speed hump to slow these people down. If that doesn't happen, I'm afraid either a child will be hit one day or more likely, a car will get too close to a child and one of the parents (possibly me) will be arrested for the first time.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Exactly! And call me an overprotective mother all you want, but I won't let my kids ride the bus, let alone walk or ride a bike. There have just been too many accidents lately. I take them every morning, and my dad, stepmom, brother, or sister picks them up.

There's a middle school not far from where I live, and last spring just before school got out, a 12 yr old girl got killed. She was walking home from school, a car hit and killed her. It's a very, VERY busy intersection, AND there was a crossing guard there.

They've really stepped up the safety on that road now, but it's so sad that it took a child losing her life to get them to wake up.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

oh totally. Some places really are too congested and there is too much traffic in certain neighbourhoods...but it seems like if a parent wants to let their kid walk or ride a bike to school and the kid is game, why systematically forbid it?

There are a couple of schools near my house and a couple of them are off main drags with a lot of traffic and such. During the mornings of school days and the afternoons when they let the kids out, there are cops and crossing guards and teachers and volunteers all over the place bringing traffic to a crawl to make sure everyone is safe and ok. Not just for walkers and riders mind you, but for the influx and exodus of buses and parents as well.

Granted, I can't stand getting stuck in that traffic but it just seems like walking and riding a bike to and from school is just a part of growing up. Maybe it's just one of those things that is falling away and ALL kids will either be bused or driven to school from here on out but damn...you know what I mean?

How freaking awful do the roads and neighbourhoods have to be to just systematically say "kids are forbidden from walking or biking up?"

And what happens if they do walk or bike up? Are they turned away like from a drive-thru at McDonald's?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

oh totally. Some places really are too congested and there is too much traffic in certain neighbourhoods...but it seems like if a parent wants to let their kid walk or ride a bike to school and the kid is game, why systematically forbid it?

There are a couple of schools near my house and a couple of them are off main drags with a lot of traffic and such. During the mornings of school days and the afternoons when they let the kids out, there are cops and crossing guards and teachers and volunteers all over the place bringing traffic to a crawl to make sure everyone is safe and ok. Not just for walkers and riders mind you, but for the influx and exodus of buses and parents as well.

Granted, I can't stand getting stuck in that traffic but it just seems like walking and riding a bike to and from school is just a part of growing up. Maybe it's just one of those things that is falling away and ALL kids will either be bused or driven to school from here on out but damn...you know what I mean?

How freaking awful do the roads and neighbourhoods have to be to just systematically say "kids are forbidden from walking or biking up?"

And what happens if they do walk or bike up? Are they turned away like from a drive-thru at McDonald's?
    Oh, I get you completely man, but think about all the idiots we have on the road now...with cell phones, GPS units and all the other distractions that drivers have these days. Heck, I'm in a fairly rural area, but I wouldn't even want to ride a bike on the main paved road out here...drivers think 35mph is a SUGGESTION rather than the actual speed limit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Oh, I get you completely man, but think about all the idiots we have on the road now...with cell phones, GPS units and all the other distractions that drivers have these days. Heck, I'm in a fairly rural area, but I wouldn't even want to ride a bike on the main paved road out here...drivers think 35mph is a SUGGESTION rather than the actual speed limit.
    don't get broken going on laws that outlaw handheld phones.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    don't get broken going on laws that outlaw handheld phones.

down with the man!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

down with the man!

the man rules.