Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Pitch Shift Units?

Hey Guys:

Pitch Shift units come up a lot around here, especially when we're talking about Ed's Balance tone. I bought the TC Electronic G-Major a few years back to achieve that effect, but I sold it a few months ago when I thought I could accomplish it another way. Stupid! I can't--at least not with the gear and rack effects I've currently got. I'm about to start mixing my band's new album, and I need the option of taking my recorded guitar track and shifting it down in pitch two or three cents. (The actual track will be panned hard left, and the pitch and time shifted track hard right.) Is the G-Major still the best option for this? I only need this effect, and budget is a consideration. Right now it looks as though I could pick up another G-Major for around $200. Is that the thing to do, or is there a pedal that would do it?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't you have a nice little plugin in your recording/mixing software that would do it? I use sonar and it came with about 4 different plugins all capable of detune and pre-delay.

I use the old Digitech 2120 for my live tone and for recording as far as detuning goes... I tried using the plugins set to the same detune settings as my 2120 and I've gotta admit they didn't quite sound as good. They colored the sound even more than the 2120, although neither color the sound too badly, I'm just really picky. However, you might have better plugins than me, and you may like the way they color the sound. I'd say give the software detune a try and a listen before spending some $$$.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i have to agree with MrJ andrew, i have a digitech detune pedal also and it does the job really well (obviously not up there with the eventide) also a friend of mine has a digitech rp80 multi effects he uses for practice at home and the de-tune/chorus effects on that are particularly good (i'll try to get him to do a sound byte) and the unit costs less than 50 on ebay (obviously its only really a budget consideration, but it does have a whammy effect too which is fun fun fun)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Don't you have a nice little plugin in your recording/mixing software that would do it? I use sonar and it came with about 4 different plugins all capable of detune and pre-delay.

I use the old Digitech 2120 for my live tone and for recording as far as detuning goes... I tried using the plugins set to the same detune settings as my 2120 and I've gotta admit they didn't quite sound as good. They colored the sound even more than the 2120, although neither color the sound too badly, I'm just really picky. However, you might have better plugins than me, and you may like the way they color the sound. I'd say give the software detune a try and a listen before spending some $$$.
    I'm actually mixing the album analog--from tape. I'm doing some vocal work in the computer, but the full mixes will still be completely analog. It's an old fashioned rock album!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Any thoughts on the Boss PS-5 Super Shifter?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's awesome! I wish I had the stuff to do a few songs on tape, that would be a lot of fun!

I think your best bet would be another G Major... I don't think the Boss Shifter would give you quite what you're after. Any time I hear that pedal in use it gives a really chorusy vibe, not the clean and crisp detune sound like Balance.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Get the Eventide Pitchfactor. If you want the EVH pitch shift sound, Eventide finally put in a pedal. They have models for both EVH's mid 80's effect (H910/H949) and the 90's (MicroPitch).

And yeah, it is kinda pricey

Link:
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 09.28.09 at 06:12 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Any thoughts on the Boss PS-5 Super Shifter?
    Just one option to throw at you Andrew.....Do you have a music shop that would rent you say, the PS-5, or better yet, the new Eventide Pitchfactor? In my location, our main shop will rent by the day, week or month, and are very reasonable. Usually 25 bucks a week. Not bad at all. Very often they don't advertise the rental angle, so you have to ask, but it might help you out, if you don't want to lay out that kind of coin at the moment.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    That's awesome! I wish I had the stuff to do a few songs on tape, that would be a lot of fun!

I think your best bet would be another G Major... I don't think the Boss Shifter would give you quite what you're after. Any time I hear that pedal in use it gives a really chorusy vibe, not the clean and crisp detune sound like Balance.
    I just picked up a bunch of 2" multitrack, and 1/4" mastertape from my supplier. It's getting real hard to find man! The 1/4" tape was actually shipped in from South Africa. Pretty expensive too. It was 90 bucks per reel. of the 1/4", and the 2", was $375.00 per reel. (only got 3 of those). Pretty good quality Quantegy, but I was looking for BASF, or good ol'e Sony, but nowhere to be had.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Get the Eventide Pitchfactor. If you want the EVH pitch shift sound, Eventide finally put in a pedal. They have models for both EVH's mid 80's effect (H910/H949) and the 90's (MicroPitch).

And yeah, it is kinda pricey

Link:
    I got excited when I learned this pedal was coming out. I got less excited when I saw the price! I should probably start saving my pennies, though. It seems they made a pretty damn good unit.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I just picked up a bunch of 2" multitrack, and 1/4" mastertape from my supplier. It's getting real hard to find man! The 1/4" tape was actually shipped in from South Africa. Pretty expensive too. It was 90 bucks per reel. of the 1/4", and the 2", was $375.00 per reel. (only got 3 of those). Pretty good quality Quantegy, but I was looking for BASF, or good ol'e Sony, but nowhere to be had.
    I've luckily had a lot of tape stock from over the years. One thing I wanted to try (but have yet to) is tracking an album entirely Pro Tools and running the mixes down to 1/2" tape. I miss the warmth, compression, and forgiveness of tape.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

04.10.12 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Andrew, I used the Boss PS-5 for almost a month before I returned it. The PS-5 was kinda glitchy when set in harmonizer mode. For example if I had it harmonizing to my playing in fifths and I would do a bend, it will not track the entire bend. If I did a whole bend it would only track the original note and then track it up to 1/2 a step, while I'm bending from 1/2 to 1 it would just automatically jump to the next note, skipping any sound that the bend from 1/2 to 1 would make.

Also as far as the detune goes, My unit had a very noticeable "Whoosh" effect going on, almost like a phaser but not as strong going on. If you played an A chord and let it ring out, you can hear the whoosh over it too. The detune options are also preset. IIRC it was -5 cents, -10 cents, -15 cents and so on, so getting something like -7 or -3 cents was not possible. I returned the unit and bought myself the pitchfactor 3 months later. I was very hesitant spending $500 dollars on a pedal, I can get a damn nice used guitar for that price, but I did it anyway. The more I use the pedal, the happier I am that I got it.

And in regards to the balance tone, I think thats when Ed had a 3 cab setup one was detuned i think -5 cents, the middle was dry and the other cab was +5 cents. If you look at the picture posted above you'll see that the top row of knobs has Pitch Mix, Pitch A, Pitch B, Delay A, and Delay B. Pitch A on the detune setting only goes from 0 to +50, Pitch B goes from 0 to -50. You can set a different delay for each one, Like setting Pitch A at 250ms and Pitch B at 500ms. Then you use pitch mix to set the volume of the each channel. So you can definitely get the balance tone from this box!

If you want me to record something for ya, just let me know and I'll give it a shot!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I've luckily had a lot of tape stock from over the years. One thing I wanted to try (but have yet to) is tracking an album entirely Pro Tools and running the mixes down to 1/2" tape. I miss the warmth, compression, and forgiveness of tape.
    That's similar to what I've been doing as of late...at least until I get enough coin to fix my Fostex (needs new belts) is recording the tracks on my Tascam DP 02 digital recorder ia my Richmond console, then I master using my Akai 2 track reel. Sounds great. The big tape really does ad a smoothness and warmth.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As for the Eventide Unit, I know it's fantastic, but I want to hear, from Eventide, that it uses the EXACT algorithms as the H3000 and 949s, etc. So in other words, if they took advantage of having more processing power in a smaller box to run the same old algorithms (which is easily possible these days), then it will have IDENTICAL tone to the presets that it shares with the H3000, 949, etc. If that's the case, then I'm definitely gonna spend the $500 on it instead of the $3000+ for an old H3000. But until I know they are the same presets... hard to want to spend $500 on it.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Old H3000s go for $800 to $1200 all day on Ebay, and Craigslist.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.